Any chance Trevon Diggs falls to the Bills?

Lurker

16 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

I view that Milano play differently, if it had been any other QB besides Watson he would have got him. Like say Cam for instance. 

That’s fair too.  But if you have a great pass rusher, you don’t need an undersized LB trying to make that play in the first place.

52 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

We had 36 sacks, which tied for 26th.  Interesting enough, the top team won the SB.  We just lost 16 of those sacks.  I mean maybe Murphy will get back on the PEDs and share them with Hughes.  But to think pass rushers isn’t a big need whole talking about punters is kinda wow.  Maybe a great pass rusher instead of Milano finished off that Watson play.  

and I think you are missing a lot about the game. This sounds out of the Rex Ryan school of thought.  Teams blitz because their d line isn’t good enough.  Great qbs love blitzing teams because they can beat the Blitz for big plays. Brady laughs at Rex’s stupid blitzes.   It’s why the 49ers had the best qb in the nfl struggling for the first half of the SB. A great d line.  It’s why the Giants beat Brady.  A great d line.  Nothing about Murphy and a declining Hughes is great.  It’s absolutely a huge need.  And this is crazy but if you have a really good d line who can generate pressure without blitzing, it helps everyone cover better.  This, you don’t have as Don’t have to go crazy drafting and signing cbs. 

Using pick #207 or pick #239 on a punter upgrade will in no way preclude the Bills from finding an upgrade at DE.

20 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

These really aren’t needs. At all. This isn’t 1990. Aside from a more viable back up QB -which won’t be via the Draft, Punter is our only pressing need. Everything else will be roster fillers with potential. 

I am still not 100% on RT.  

• Like (+1) 1

Diggs has experience on offense and defense at Alabama.

He didn't become a full time defender until 2017, so that part of his experience is limited.

He is more of a press corner at this point, but if the Bills drafted him, he is going to have to show he can really play in a zone-oriented scheme.

10 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

We had 36 sacks, which tied for 26th.  Interesting enough, the top team won the SB.  We just lost 16 of those sacks.  I mean maybe Murphy will get back on the PEDs and share them with Hughes.  But to think pass rushers isn’t a big need whole talking about punters is kinda wow.  Maybe a great pass rusher instead of Milano finished off that Watson play.  

and I think you are missing a lot about the game. This sounds out of the Rex Ryan school of thought.  Teams blitz because their d line isn’t good enough.  Great qbs love blitzing teams because they can beat the Blitz for big plays. Brady laughs at Rex’s stupid blitzes.   It’s why the 49ers had the best qb in the nfl struggling for the first half of the SB. A great d line.  It’s why the Giants beat Brady.  A great d line.  Nothing about Murphy and a declining Hughes is great.  It’s absolutely a huge need.  And this is crazy but if you have a really good d line who can generate pressure without blitzing, it helps everyone cover better.  This, you don’t have as Don’t have to go crazy drafting and signing cbs. 

hmmmm..?

well, it’s not like you to outright lie just to defend your feeble football facinora, so I’ll assume you slept through all the Bills games last season. The Bills had 44 sacks in ‘19, which is hauntingly close to the “45ish” I offered to help you with the 1st time. Where they come from -DL, LB, DB- is of little to concern in the modern game, and the Bills brass -& most fans- know this. Further, while I wasn’t able to quickly find last years League rankings for most batted down passes (because idc enough), Buffalo led the League in this statistic in ‘18 and certainly didn’t do anything notably different in ‘19.

So I’ll try this one more time. 45ish sacks & 20ish passes batted down per season, coupled with stout enough Run D to force many 3rd & longs is a very good thing and will have any team touting these measurables at or near the best in the League. That’s 65 pass plays (read: 4 per game) that didn’t get past the LOS. Lawson & J.Phillips were Jags/players *who benefited from ‘the Process’* and allowed to seek employment elsewhere and easily replaceable on the cheap.

Our defensive rankings the past couple years? Did you happen to check these out as I encouraged you to?

No. of course not.

Carry on.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

hmmmm..?

well, it’s not like you to outright lie just to defend your feeble football facinora, so I’ll assume you slept through all the Bills games last season. The Bills had 44 sacks in ‘19, which is hauntingly close to the “45ish” I offered to help you with the 1st time. Where they come from -DL, LB, DB- is of little to concern in the modern game, and the Bills brass -& most fans- know this. Further, while I wasn’t able to quickly find last years League rankings for most batted down passes (because idc enough), Buffalo led the League in this statistic in ‘18 and certainly didn’t do anything notably different in ‘19.

So I’ll try this one more time. 45ish sacks & 20ish passes batted down per season, coupled with stout enough Run D to force many 3rd & longs is a very good thing and will have any team touting these measurables at or near the best in the League. That’s 65 pass plays that didn’t get past the LOS. Lawson & J.Phillips were Jags/players *who benefited from ‘the Process’* and allowed to seek employment elsewhere and easily replaceable on the cheap.

Our defensive rankings the past couple years? Did you happen to check these out as I encouraged you to?

No. of course not.

Carry on.

I do think our pass rush is an issue. Not a stop us making the post season issue. But a stop us winning a championship issue. We need to be better there and while I expect Ed to pic up the slack inside I think we have got worse on the outside. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I do think our pass rush is an issue. Not a stop us making the post season issue. But a stop us winning a championship issue. We need to be better there and while I expect Ed to pic up the slack inside I think we have got worse on the outside. 

You’re not alone, but there’s plenty to challenge the doom & gloom. Shaq had 4 years to justify a 1st Round pick. He couldn’t. Many -if not most- of J. Phillips’ sacks were garbage sacks courtesy of other pressure and great coverage. Garbage collectors are a valuable resource, but they’re cheap. Most fans of the team -including Brandon Beane believe we’ve actually upgraded the D line already with this new crop of FAs. Stat-wise, it can’t be argued. D. Johnson showed more upside in sparse rookie action than Lawson showed in 3 years.

Do I think we’ll draft a DE? Yes, if there’s one rated high at our picks. But I don’t worry it’ll be a ‘reason’ we don’t win a championship.

Not in this day and age and not the way our Defense is designed.

19 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

You’re not alone, but there’s plenty to challenge the doom & gloom. Shaq had 4 years to justify a 1st Round pick. He couldn’t. Many -if not most- of J. Phillips’ sacks were garbage sacks courtesy of other pressure and great coverage. Garbage collectors are a valuable resource, but they’re cheap. Most fans of the team -including Brandon Beane believe we’ve actually upgraded the D line already with this new crop of FAs. Stat-wise, it can’t be argued. D. Johnson showed more upside in sparse rookie action than Lawson showed in 3 years.

Do I think we’ll draft a DE? Yes, if there’s one rated high at our picks. But I don’t worry it’ll be a ‘reason’ we don’t win a championship.

Not in this day and age and not the way our Defense is designed.

Well maybe Brandon Beane is right. Personally, on this one, I think he is wrong. The stats can be read both ways. While Addison's sack numbers were stable last year his pressures were markedly down. Now maybe he continues to make hay on limited opportunities but I am sceptical. Hughes's production dropped significantly in 2019 from 2018. Relying on two 30 somethings is a bad idea IMO. 

And I was not advocating for retaining Shaq or Jordan Phillips. I just don't think what we have there is good enough unless as you allude to - Johnson really breaks out.  

And I really do think it could be the difference in truly competing for a Championship. So often in those big games it is a successful pass rush that turns the tide. I am thinking Von Miller against the Pats and the Panthers a few years back or Flowers on Ryan in the Atlanta Superbowl loss. Our defense is very, very good. But I dob't think it lessens the need for improved edge play. 

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Well maybe Brandon Beane is right. Personally, on this one, I think he is wrong. The stats can be read both ways. While Addison's sack numbers were stable last year his pressures were markedly down. Now maybe he continues to make hay on limited opportunities but I am sceptical. Hughes's production dropped significantly in 2019 from 2018. Relying on two 30 somethings is a bad idea IMO. 

And I was not advocating for retaining Shaq or Jordan Phillips. I just don't think what we have there is good enough unless as you allude to - Johnson really breaks out.  

And I really do think it could be the difference in truly competing for a Championship. So often in those big games it is a successful pass rush that turns the tide. I am thinking Von Miller against the Pats and the Panthers a few years back or Flowers on Ryan in the Atlanta Superbowl loss. Our defense is very, very good. But I dob't think it lessens the need for improved edge play. 

Ok, but finding a Super Bowl altering pass rusher for us in this Draft is as unlikely as finding Tom Brady in the 6th. All I’m saying is I hope the Bills stick with their board when our selection is up as there is no glaring need on the team currently. No reaching for a player (DE or otherwise) per pick. 

They've shown to be too good at this to change now. 

Edited by Chandler#81

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

Ok, but finding a Super Bowl altering pass rusher for us in this Draft is as unlikely as finding Tom Brady in the 6th. All I’m saying is I hope the Bills stick with their board when our selection is up as there is no glaring need on the team currently. No reaching for a player (DE or otherwise) per pick. 

I am not suggesting they reach for an edge player. But I do think it is the biggest "need" along with a second running back on this roster. Now the Bills are not getting Von Miller at #54, sure, but Trey Flowers was a 4th round pick for the Pats and there are guys like Anae and Greenard who could get to our spot and be among the BPA conversation there who I think could be that all round DE who plays the run, makes tackles for loss and gets 6-7 sacks a year - essentially the production we eventually got out of Shaq in year 4. If those guys are gone and you are down to the Robinson, Highsmith, Taylor tier of edge guys then I am not advocating they spend a 2nd round pick there.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

What you pointed out is exactly correct.  Teams with GM's and Head Coaches that are on the hot seat often draft for a specific need regardless if there are better players available at other positions.  It is more pronounced in each successive round.  In addition, once the draft moves past the 15 to 17 players with first round grades/talent, there is less difference between players.  This creates a lot of variation in the way different teams look at any player in this range.  All of this makes predictions of future draft selections beyond the first half of the first round nothing more than a wild guess.  Finally, there is the total incompetence factor.  Some teams are so totally and historically bad in the draft, they introduce a completely unpredictable element into the draft.  All of this is why we will hear once again that a so-called good player fell n the draft.  We shouldn't be surprised; it's inevitable.  Trevon Diggs could very easily fall to the Bills at 54 or he could just as easily be selected much higher.  We'll know for sure in less than two weeks.

Yes.   God does not come down from heaven and assign each player a specific draft value number.  You are NOT going to be sitting at pick #142 and saying, well this player is a 85.39 and this other player is a 85.41, so OBVIOUSLY  we have to take "BPA" and take the 85.41 guy.  Too bad. We have 2 all-pros at the position already, so I hope he plays special teams.

Look at all the mock drafts and their big boards.  Look at what we know of each team's own big boards and how they have players rated differently and drafted differently. There is NOT a "BPA" at every draft pick.   There is maybe 5-10 players whose range rating falls into the window of that draft pick.   That should tell you that there is not an ABSOLUTE BPA at a spot. 

There may be players who are rated more highly at that position who don't fit your offensive or defensive scheme. Don't draft them.  There might be 3-7 players who could fit your team.  Do you draft the player who are not going to be useful to you or the players who will be useful to you

40 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

There may be players who are rated more highly at that position who don't fit your offensive or defensive scheme. Don't draft them.  There might be 3-7 players who could fit your team.  Do you draft the player who are not going to be useful to you or the players who will be useful to you

For an actual team building a big board the chances are these guys are not even on it. Most teams have between 120 and 160 guys on their draft board. That doesn't mean like it does for me that is just the number they got around to bothering grading..... it means those are the guys who are potential fits for them. 

Was one of the interesting things about doing my round 2 mock the other day. You start getting inti the guys who are more scheme specific and you look at your big board and say well I have this corner next on my board but actually he isn't a fit for that team they would likely prefer this guy who I have graded lower from a scheme neutral perspective. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/12/2020 at 9:09 PM, Logic said:

Ya know what's weird?

When McDermott came in, he had the reputation of being a guy who didn't need top tier cornerbacks in his system for it to succeed. As long as they were smart and well-versed in zone coverage, they had a chance to excel in his scheme. Josh Norman was taken in the 5th round and turned into a Pro Bowler under McDermott's watch. Levi Wallace was undrafted and has performed reasonably well. EJ Gaines has not had a particularly decorated NFL career, but arguably his best performance ever was in McDermott's defense.

With this being case -- McDermott's defense being one that does not need top tier man coverage cornerbacks or supreme athletes at the position in order to thrive -- it would be strange to wind up having a 1st round pick at CB1 and a 2nd round pick at CB2.

Put a different way: With Levi Wallace, Josh Norman, and EJ Gaines already competing at CB2, and knowing how well McDermott seems to be able to garner production from later round picks, do the Bills really need to spend a 2nd round pick on a cornerback? Is that really the best use of our most premium remaining draft asset this year? I know, I know, "BPA no matter what!", I just...so much resources invested in the secondary. I'd rather see a front seven player or an offensive lineman or an offensive playmaker. Maybe it's just me.

this is so..... "Logic"-al.   OOOOooooooooo SNAP!  I couldn't help myself. In all seriousness this does make a lot of sense. Finding a late rounder to learn from a veteran DB room seems more likely

8 hours ago, Motor26 said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if he is there. A lot of good players will be available in the 2nd round. 

Yeah I’ll be more surprised if he isn’t there at 54 unless teams are just reaching for corners. He’s just not polished, his film is all over the place when offenses tested him. Someone might see enough potential to pull the trigger early. 

A smart GM and team might figure out what really good players would be available at our draft picks and then use free agency to fill the other needs of the team.  When your draft pick comes up, you then can draft the BPA, within reason, and also fill a need for the team.  You might even move up in the draft, twice a year for three years to get that player you want.

The hole right now is starting RB1A /RB 1B.  The backup RB did not dress for 10 games last year.