Backup running back - how about going back to 2018?

Coach55

I get the sneaky suspicion WGR tunes in here -a LOT! They had a segment earlier about this very topic, Shady returning. He claims he wants to play 2 more years, as all previous 12,000 yard rushers are in the HOF, which it seems he’s on the outside looking in. GR was interviewing someone “in the know” who basically claimed he’s done. His buddy Andy Reid didn’t even dress him in the SB.

Could just be me, but it’s not the 1st time a Wall topic somehow made it out in the real world and got AirPlay.

Should I dress more appropriately??

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/12/2020 at 12:05 PM, Coach55 said:

The perfect veteran backup running back is available to backstop Singletary.   He already knows the system and could probably be obtained cheap - that man - LeSean McCoy.   He wants to play 2 more years, he meets McDermott's work ethic standards and still has enough gas in the tank to be called on when needed.  He liked playing here and the only reason he was cut was for salary cap purposes.  Fast forward one year and I wouldn't be surprised if he is the quality back up that we are all craving. 

No thanks. There are dozens of capable backs who cost less and don't come with the ego of Shady. 

48 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

No thanks. There are dozens of capable backs who cost less and don't come with the ego of Shady. 

While I agree, I don’t want him, I don’t think he’s going to cost a lot.  I’d say he’s a vet minimum at this point

35 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

There should be more than enough RB talent available in the 4th-5th rds of the draft.

There is, but Akers is big time to me.

If he is available at 54, the Bills gotta take him. He brings EVERYTHING to the table.

On 4/12/2020 at 12:05 PM, Coach55 said:

The perfect veteran backup running back is available to backstop Singletary.   He already knows the system and could probably be obtained cheap - that man - LeSean McCoy.   He wants to play 2 more years, he meets McDermott's work ethic standards and still has enough gas in the tank to be called on when needed.  He liked playing here and the only reason he was cut was for salary cap purposes.  Fast forward one year and I wouldn't be surprised if he is the quality back up that we are all craving. 

I don’t think McDermott or Beane are craving all of Shady’s negative, east west runs. Hence why they let him go. They want north south runners. Gore, they were hoping could still do it, he couldn’t. 

Why in the world would you settle for the 8th to 15th running back in the draft?   Those other guys got drafted ahead of them for some reason that at least 7 teams in the NFL think are important.    (Opps, many posters here are too shiek to believe that somebody who gets the ball on about 40% of the offensive plays is really important)

We need a RB that other teams are afraid of.  Singletary does not do many things well and we could EASILY improve the team by drafting a top RB. Yes, he is a nice player and a Bill. I get that we are all homers and like our guys.

We need somebody with the speed to get around the corner.

We need somebody with natural pass catching ability.

We need somebody who can be a weapon in the short passing game- especially deadly now that we have two very good and speedy wideouts to make the defense defend more downfield.

We need somebody who has enough speed and WR ability to give the other team fits, when he lines up outside and gives us a 4th wideout look.

====================================================================================================================

McCaffrey      $16,0 million a year                  1,387 yards rushing            1,005 yards receiving                   1st round pick 8          rank at RB   1     

Diggs               $14.4 million a year                 -------------------------------            1,130 yards receiving                  

Yeldon             $01.5 million a year                       63 yards rushing               124 yards receiving                  2nd round  pick 36       rank at RB 96

Singeltary       $00.97 million a year                  775 yards rushing               194 yards receiving                   3rd round   pick   4          rank at RB 31

You get what you pay for.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

10 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Why in the world would you settle for the 8th to 15th running back in the draft?   Those other guys got drafted ahead of them for some reason that at least 7 teams in the NFL think are important.    (Opps, many posters here are too shiek to believe that somebody who gets the ball on about 40% of the offensive plays is really important)

We need a RB that other teams are afraid of.  Singletary does not do many things well and we could EASILY improve the team by drafting a top RB. Yes, he is a nice player and a Bill. I get that we are all homers and like our guys.

We need somebody who can be a weapon in the short passing game- especially deadly now that we have two very good and speedy wideouts to make the defense defend more downfield.

We need somebody who has enough speed and WR ability to give the other team fits, when he lines up outside and gives us a 4th wideout look.

====================================================================================================================

McCaffrey      $16,0 million a year                  1,387 yards rushing            1,005 yards receiving                   1st round pick 8          rank at RB   1     

Diggs               $14.4 million a year                 -------------------------------            1,130 yards receiving                  

Yeldon             $01.5 million a year                       63 yards rushing               124 yards receiving                  2nd round  pick 36       rank at RB 96

Singeltary       $00.97 million a year                  775 yards rushing               194 yards receiving                   3rd round   pick   4          rank at RB 31

To consider Singletary the 31st best RB because he only had 775 yards discounts the fact that his YPC was a very good 5.1.  Singletary averaged 15 touches per game (and missed some time with the hamstring) to McCaffreys 24.  Was there room for improvement?  Yes - Ball security was an issue at times (watching him get run down is terrifying), he had some room to improve in the passing game (drops mainly).  But he was a rookie...  I think one can expect some level of improvement.  He also had massively increased usage in the 2nd half of the year.  I don't feel like extrapolating over a full season but I suppose I could. 

Oh, and McCaffrey averaged 12.3 touches his rookie year, and had 435 yards rushing on 3.7 YPC.  Just comparing rookie seasons in that way gives Singletary a leg up.

I personally don't care how Buffalo does it - but get the YPC up, and get running backs who can make plays in the passing game.  I'd prefer keeping costs low however you do it so you can continue to invest in the offensive line.   Baltimore rolls 3 deep, same with SF and Arizona last year.  However you don't need to give one guy 300 carries, if giving 2 guys 150 carries works just as well for half the price.   The key to me is if Singletary isn't going to be your RB to get 75-100 targets out of the backfield, we need that guy.  

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

To consider Singletary the 31st best RB because he only had 775 yards discounts the fact that his YPC was a very good 5.1.  Singletary averaged 15 touches per game (and missed some time with the hamstring) to McCaffreys 24.  Was there room for improvement?  Yes - Ball security was an issue at times (watching him get run down is terrifying), he had some room to improve in the passing game (drops mainly).  But he was a rookie...  I think one can expect some level of improvement.  He also had massively increased usage in the 2nd half of the year.  I don't feel like extrapolating over a full season but I suppose I could. 

Oh, and McCaffrey averaged 12.3 touches his rookie year, and had 435 yards rushing on 3.7 YPC.  Just comparing rookie seasons in that way gives Singletary a leg up.

I personally don't care how Buffalo does it - but get the YPC up, and get running backs who can make plays in the passing game.  I'd prefer keeping costs low however you do it so you can continue to invest in the offensive line.   Baltimore rolls 3 deep, same with SF and Arizona last year.  However you don't need to give one guy 300 carries, if giving 2 guys 150 carries works just as well for half the price.   The key to me is if Singletary isn't going to be your RB to get 75-100 targets out of the backfield, we need that guy.  

I didn't make that #31 ranking but lets be honest.  You rate people on production and not on emotions.  He was 22nd in yards rushing and 44th in yards receiving for a running back.  Yes, he missed 4 games.  You might expect that for a smaller RB who does most of their work between the tackles.    Singletary had only 41 receptions and we needed another weapon there and he was not it and probably will not make great improvements there. 

With some luck, we can get a top  3 or top 5 RB this year and it is a good year for them.  It would be stupid to go cheap and take a 3rd or 4th round player because "it is a bargain and cost effective" or some other excuse.  Lets get a guy, who the "experts" feel is a certain 3 down starter, rather than a guy who is expected to be a complementary piece, or a good backup.

On 4/14/2020 at 5:58 AM, maryland-bills-fan said:

First, Diggs doesn't even belong in this conversation. We are talking RB's here I think. Otherwise if you really want to include ALL players at ALL positions this conversation is really gonna get bogged down quickly. For example I can think of a whole lot of QB's that don't EARN their keep. So let's just talk RB's OK?

Do you think that the Cowboys were happy with Zeke's play this season? How bout the Jets with Bell? Or the Rams with Todd Gurley? Or the Cardinals with David Johnson?

Point is that there are lots of RB's that don't EARN their big fat contracts. I'd rather draft a couple no name RB's who you won't have to pay exhorbitant contracts to. Many of them simply seem to wear out too quickly. (like right after they sign a new contract) And yes. alot of other players don't EARN their salaries either.

On 4/12/2020 at 12:29 PM, I'm Spartacus said:

He'd never want to come back. He probably feels like we stiffed him. He will say the Bills "disrespected" him.

Too much of a "me" guy, but I liked his play a few years back.

Everything I read said we gave him a chance to sign with whoever he wanted by cutting him and not trying to trade him.  He got a damn superbowl ring as a result.  Pretty sure hes fine with how things went. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

First, Diggs doesn't even belong in this conversation. We are talking RB's here I think. Otherwise if you really want to include ALL players at ALL positions this conversation is really gonna get bogged down quickly. For example I can think of a whole lot of QB's that don't EARN their keep. So let's just talk RB's OK?

Do you think that the Cowboys were happy with Zeke's play this season? How bout the Jets with Bell? Or the Rams with Todd Gurley? Or the Cardinals with David Johnson?

Point is that there are lots of RB's that don't EARN their big fat contracts. I'd rather draft a couple no name RB's who you won't have to pay exhorbitant contracts to. Many of them simply seem to wear out too quickly. (like right after they sign a new contract) And yes. alot of other players don't EARN their salaries either.

Diggs was included to illustrate how significant McCaffrey's receiving numbers were.   Receiving yards IS part of the conversation when you are discussing running backs.

There are a lot of running backs who don't earn their keep. As well as other positions. ... and your point is?

You get what you pay for.  Sometimes you get more and sometimes less.  The market pays more for players who are expected to be better.  The market does NOT pay more for poorer players.   The market expects higher draft picks to perform better than lower draft picks.

A rookie RB is on a four year cost-controlled contract.   They are cheaper than the same quality veterans, but come with some start-up time and some possibility of being a bust.   The bust rate goes way up in later rounds.

ick Range Total Value Signing Bonus
Picks 33-41 $7,650,500 to $7,125,435 $3,584,000 to $3,202,135
Picks 42-48 $6,994,472 to $6,077,737 $3,106,889 to $2,440,173
Picks 49-64 $5,932,210 to $4,578,946 $2,334,334 to $1,350,142

NFL Draft Rookie Contracts: Round 3

Pick Range Total Value Signing Bonus
Picks 65-74 $4,278,420 to $4,028,376 $1,138,382 to $1,031,870
Picks 75-92 $3,975,925 to $3,624,290 $1,002,690 to $863,695
Picks 93-102* $3,458,115 to $3,399,480 $793,704 to $761,516

NFL Draft Contracts: Rounds 4 -7

Round Total Value Signing Bonus
Round 4 $3,324,499 to $3,006,531* $804,499 to $486,531
Round 5 $2,868,832 to $2,753,988* $348,832 to $233,988
Round 6 $2,728,511 to $2,647,353* $208,511 to $127,353
Round 7 $2,631,885 to $2,594,288* $111,885 to $74,288

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/04/nfl-draft-pick-salaries-contracts-signing-bonuses/

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

28 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Diggs was included to illustrate how significant McCaffrey's receiving numbers were.   Receiving yards IS part of the conversation when you are discussing running backs.

There are a lot of running backs who don't earn their keep. As well as other positions. ... and your point is?

A rookie RB is on a four year cost-controlled contract.   

ick Range Total Value Signing Bonus
Picks 33-41 $7,650,500 to $7,125,435 $3,584,000 to $3,202,135
Picks 42-48 $6,994,472 to $6,077,737 $3,106,889 to $2,440,173
Picks 49-64 $5,932,210 to $4,578,946 $2,334,334 to $1,350,142

NFL Draft Rookie Contracts: Round 3

Pick Range Total Value Signing Bonus
Picks 65-74 $4,278,420 to $4,028,376 $1,138,382 to $1,031,870
Picks 75-92 $3,975,925 to $3,624,290 $1,002,690 to $863,695
Picks 93-102* $3,458,115 to $3,399,480 $793,704 to $761,516

NFL Draft Contracts: Rounds 4 -7

Round Total Value Signing Bonus
Round 4 $3,324,499 to $3,006,531* $804,499 to $486,531
Round 5 $2,868,832 to $2,753,988* $348,832 to $233,988
Round 6 $2,728,511 to $2,647,353* $208,511 to $127,353
Round 7 $2,631,885 to $2,594,288* $111,885 to $74,288

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/04/nfl-draft-pick-salaries-contracts-signing-bonuses/

I mean Ekeler was a UDFA, and just got a raise to 6M per year.  He was just as productive a receiver as McCaffrey - and split time with Gordon.  They replaced Gordon with Justin Jackson who was a 7th round pick.  The Ravens had Ingram, Edwards, Hill.  All I'm saying is you can get the production from other players at the position.  Of the 5 leading rushers in the NFL, 2 made the playoffs.  

From a pure team rushing yardage perspective, its somewhat of a precursor to success (Turnover Differential seems to always point to playoff teams) - but I don't think those yards need to come from a single player.  

Rush Yards per game - Buffalo ranked 8th

Rush Yards per carry - Buffalo ranked 13th

Expected points from Rushing offense - Buffalo ranked 9th

As for pass catching running backs

A- Daboll needs to build into the offense more since I think some of the gimme plays give Allen a bit of confidence

B- RBs who catch passes don't necessarily equal team/offensive success. 5/15 of the leading receiving backs teams made the playoffs.  Outside of NO and the Vikings, I wouldn't even consider the other 3 to have particularly good offenses.

Christian McCaffrey 116 1005
Austin Ekeler 92 993
Alvin Kamara 81 533
Tarik Cohen 79 456
Leonard Fournette 76 522
James White 72 645
Le'Veon Bell 66 461
Devonta Freeman 59 410
Ezekiel Elliott* 54 420
Dalvin Cook 53 519
Saquon Barkley 52 438
Miles Sanders 50 509
Aaron Jones 49 474
Jaylen Samuels 47 305
Nyheim Hines 44 320
Edited by dneveu

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

I mean Ekeler was a UDFA, and just got a raise to 6M per year.  He was just as productive a receiver as McCaffrey - and split time with Gordon.  They replaced Gordon with Justin Jackson who was a 7th round pick.  The Ravens had Ingram, Edwards, Hill.  All I'm saying is you can get the production from other players at the position.  Of the 5 leading rushers in the NFL, 2 made the playoffs.  

From a pure team rushing yardage perspective, its somewhat of a precursor to success (Turnover Differential seems to always point to playoff teams) - but I don't think those yards need to come from a single player.  

Rush Yards per game - Buffalo ranked 8th

Rush Yards per carry - Buffalo ranked 13th

Expected points from Rushing offense - Buffalo ranked 9th

As for pass catching running backs

A- Daboll needs to build into the offense more since I think some of the gimme plays give Allen a bit of confidence

B- RBs who catch passes don't necessarily equal team/offensive success. 5/15 of the leading receiving backs teams made the playoffs.  Outside of NO and the Vikings, I wouldn't even consider the other 3 to have particularly good offenses.

Christian McCaffrey 116 1005
Austin Ekeler 92 993
Alvin Kamara 81 533
Tarik Cohen 79 456
Leonard Fournette 76 522
James White 72 645
Le'Veon Bell 66 461
Devonta Freeman 59 410
Ezekiel Elliott* 54 420
Dalvin Cook 53 519
Saquon Barkley 52 438
Miles Sanders 50 509