Backup running back - how about going back to 2018?

Coach55

23 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I wouldn’t go the washed up veteran route.

We don’t need more Mike Tolbert's, Chris Ivory’s, Frank Gore’s. 

Do what we did last year, get a 22-year old rookie with some juice in their legs.

The Bills/Beane will add competition, but I’d rather have Yeldon than McCoy.

I couldn't agree more - get us some young fresh legs - every year there are quality backs found mid to late round in the draft & sometimes even some quality UDFA are found. We have plenty of veteran's in  the locker room - do we really need to add a another washed up veteran RB for "locker room presence"?  I say skip the retread bin & get us a young back to pair with Singletary.

1 hour ago, Coach55 said:

The perfect veteran backup running back is available to backstop Singletary.   He already knows the system and could probably be obtained cheap - that man - LeSean McCoy.   He wants to play 2 more years, he meets McDermott's work ethic standards and still has enough gas in the tank to be called on when needed.  He liked playing here and the only reason he was cut was for salary cap purposes.  Fast forward one year and I wouldn't be surprised if he is the quality back up that we are all craving. 

How much gas is left and how do you support the assertions?

We saw this with Greg Olsen.

If he came here, Dawson Knox would be on the bench, watching a past their prime 35 year old. 

Coaches like familiar, they like systems. 

But our offense is starved for points, not physicality. Rex showed that you aren’t going to show up and just bulldoze an opponent out of the way. 

Prioritize the playmakers. 

1 hour ago, Coach55 said:

The perfect veteran backup running back is available to backstop Singletary.   He already knows the system and could probably be obtained cheap - that man - LeSean McCoy.   He wants to play 2 more years, he meets McDermott's work ethic standards and still has enough gas in the tank to be called on when needed.  He liked playing here and the only reason he was cut was for salary cap purposes.  Fast forward one year and I wouldn't be surprised if he is the quality back up that we are all craving. 

Never considered that, kind of like it.  He had almost 700 total yards last year, 4.6 yards a carry.

Singletary, the clear starter, would have yet another Hall of Fame caliber mentor.

And left on good terms, I think,  had nothing negative to say (from what I know) and seemed to like playing here.

I think he would welcome it, to end his career in Buffalo

And McDermott can speak to Reid about him, in depth. I assume he already has?

I like it, at a low price with incentives. May not need to give him very much at all guaranteed.

51 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Don't dislike Shady, but really, what has he done the last two years to make anyone think he has anything to offer at this point?

4.6 yards a carry last year and caught 28 passes.  Veteran leadership, mentor.

7 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

4.6 yards a carry last year and caught 28 passes.  Veteran leadership, mentor.

But why pay that salary for a backup? When you can simply draft someone who is faster and not on their last legs?

Gore’s career is at the end, he’s having to switch teams now every year. McCoy is in the same boat, having to extend his career with one years deals.

A 5th rounder could come in and give you 4 yards a carry and pass catching ability without the salary and play time pressure. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I wouldn’t go the washed up veteran route.

We don’t need more Mike Tolbert's, Chris Ivory’s, Frank Gore’s. 

Do what we did last year, get a 22-year old rookie with some juice in their legs.

The Bills/Beane will add competition, but I’d rather have Yeldon than McCoy.

When it comes to professional sports, you don't want a team that relies on nostalgia more than reality.

This is especially true in football, and even more of the case at the running back position.

Shady was an incredible RB in this league, and I loved having him as a Buffalo Bill. 

But age has clearly taken its toll on the guy.  He played for the Super Bowl champions last year, on a team without a great running game, and was a healthy scratch for the entire postseason.  He's done.

We need another rookie to pair with Devin Singletary.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Coach55 said:

I do not think he was just cut for salary cap reasons.  I believe he would have been resistant to be 2nd or even 3rd running back. Do you think he would be wiling to be backup to TJ Yeldon? 

32 minutes ago, Codyny13 said:

Bills want a downhill runner to compliment Devin. That came out of Beane’s mouth. That’s why Gore played over Yeldon. There will be a downhill runner added to this roster.

All that means is a slow plodding veteran.

That is a strategy that holds Allen back and doesn’t allow for points to be scored. 

When Frank Gore or Chris Ivory or Mike Tolbert or Lesean McCoy is on the field, the defense has no concern. They know it’s base defense, 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

It’s a relic of the past that coaches can’t get over.

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

I'd rather try to find a diamond in the rough in the 4th or 5th round than wrap my fish in last week's papers. 

No, I don't know what that metaphor means or why I said it. Blame the absinthe. 

Is dementia a covid-19 symptom?

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Codyny13 said:

Bills want a downhill runner to compliment Devin. That came out of Beane’s mouth. That’s why Gore played over Yeldon. There will be a downhill runner added to this roster.

This is more the reason then Shady being washed up- I think Shady would be effective 10 touches a game but not the type of touches we need. Gore became very ineffective the last month of the season.

12 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

This is more the reason then Shady being washed up- I think Shady would be effective 10 touches a game but not the type of touches we need. Gore became very ineffective the last month of the season.

In my opinion 10 touches for McCoy is 10 too many. Those represent wasted downs, and the Bills have enough 3 & outs and dead 3rd quarters as it is. Too much nostalgia and reverence for McCoy. He’s shot, Gore’s shot, Ivory and Tolbert were shot, it’s over for 32+ year old backs. 

John Murphy talked about McCoy like he was a Barry Sanders, and call me a millennial, but the last thing I want as a Bills fan is an offense that “runs through” a 200-year old running back.

Singletary and a rookie. There Devin, now you are the veteran of the group. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

12 minutes ago, Mickey said:

I'd rather try to find a diamond in the rough in the 4th or 5th round than wrap my fish in last week's papers.

If I could give you two "likes" for that, I would: one for the opinion and one for the metaphor.

2 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

No to McCoy.  

Draft a stud to compliment Singletary.  Get a bulldozer type back. for short yardage.   Bonus if he can block and catch out of the backfield.  

Two good backs on rookie contracts, build for the future. 

The OJ type backs get drafted in the first round.

Bulldozers usually last a little longer.  I don't follow college football very closely but I imagine there's a good bulldozer to be found when the Bills are picking.