Backup running back - how about going back to 2018?

Coach55

The perfect veteran backup running back is available to backstop Singletary.   He already knows the system and could probably be obtained cheap - that man - LeSean McCoy.   He wants to play 2 more years, he meets McDermott's work ethic standards and still has enough gas in the tank to be called on when needed.  He liked playing here and the only reason he was cut was for salary cap purposes.  Fast forward one year and I wouldn't be surprised if he is the quality back up that we are all craving. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Coach55 said:

The perfect veteran backup running back is available to backstop Singletary.   He already knows the system and could probably be obtained cheap - that man - LeSean McCoy.   He wants to play 2 more years, he meets McDermott's work ethic standards and still has enough gas in the tank to be called on when needed.  He liked playing here and the only reason he was cut was for salary cap purposes.  Fast forward one year and I wouldn't be surprised if he is the quality back up that we are all craving. 

I'm not sure about the gas.

In any case, I'd like our other back to be a big, bruising, between-the-tackles kind of guy.

Thunder and Lightning.

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, I'm Spartacus said:

He'd never want to come back. He probably feels like we stiffed him. He will say the Bills "disrespected" him.

Too much of a "me" guy, but I liked his play a few years back.

What’s this based on? 

Just now, KD in CA said:

image.jpeg.328b56194815fbccca214b760f1722fd.jpeg

Shady was a great player. He is no longer a good player.

I just read a article probably the one you are referring to & i didn't understand the why it went down last year only that 1 had to go because they wanted to use Singletary but now that Gore is gone as long as Shady wasn't to booty hurt about last year he could come back & be #2 .

I have looked at another guy in the draft though the kid out of Memphis looks like a Derick Henry type back & he should be there in the later rounds 3 or 4 which could be a real good get for the Bills !! 

So a lot with Shady would hinge on what Beane plans on doing in the draft .

Edited by T master

2 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

It's based on my gut feeling and Shady's personality I have assessed over his years as a Bill

That feels pretty unfair when everything he’s said is to the contrary (including his interview with Tre). By all accounts, including his, he loved his time in Buffalo. Additionally, he’s fighting FOR a NFL roster spot this year. He will go anywhere that is interested.

With that being said, he’s done. There are a lot better options out there.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I wouldn’t go the washed up veteran route.

We don’t need more Mike Tolbert's, Chris Ivory’s, Frank Gore’s. 

Do what we did last year, get a 22-year old rookie with some juice in their legs.

The Bills/Beane will add competition, but I’d rather have Yeldon than McCoy.

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

No to McCoy.  

Draft a stud to compliment Singletary.  Get a bulldozer type back. for short yardage.   Bonus if he can block and catch out of the backfield.  

Two good backs on rookie contracts, build for the future. 

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 1

Shady will still be unsigned until after the draft, as will all the other FA RBs. If something weird happens where we don't draft a RB, only then would I even consider it. I don't see it as anything other than a worst case scenario move.

The other thing that happens with veteran players is the Bills coaching staff feels like the owe them playing time because of legacy, and so players like Gore and McCoy get entirely too much playing time as younger more explosive players are held back.

RB is not a position to try and go back in time.

Get younger and faster. 

It’s one of the things I disagreed with Beane about, talking about how they wanted downhill thumping of Gore instead of Yeldon. 

I think we are in a perfect position to get a top RB in RD2.  While we need more depth at LB and something more at Edge, we have invested in those, but not much at RB.  Carlos Hyde is still available - can we get him for $2M?