POLL: How much should a safety be worth?

cage

POLL: How much should a safety be worth?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. How much should a safety be worth?

• They got it right, 2 points and the ball
    • 5 points and kick-off just like FG or TD
    • 7 points and kick-off just like FG or TD
    • 11 points and kick-off just like FG or TD
    • 15 points and kick-off just like FG or TD

3 hours ago, KD in CA said:

If you get the ball back at mid-field after the safety and can't do anything but punt it right back....well....kind of your own fault.

2 points and the ball is just fine.

The other Defenses is usually rested.  The tables are easier flip. Get a three and out, can be a whole new game and field position is reset... Everything the safety scoring team's Defense worked for.

Should be more than FG but less than TD.

Stops the end of game intentional safety BS.

That point difference with FG throws a lot of games outta kilter

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

5 hours ago, TigerJ said:

I'm just glad that Rachel Bush agrees with what the Bills think her safety is worth.

Based on the title, I thought this thread was going to be a debate about whether we overpaid Poyer.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

It's basically the NFL version of an own goal. Therefore, it probably should constitute the same points value as a touchdown. Probably eliminate the kick and make it a 7 point play.

Sounds good. While we're at it, let's make it retroactive to SB XXV.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Based on the title, I thought this thread was going to be a debate about whether we overpaid Poyer.

I just can't resist a little cheap humor when I run across it.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Pbomb said:

15 pts doesn’t seem extreme enough, they are rare so make them be worth 25 pts or if you get one in the 4th quarter it should be automatic game over 

Automatic playoff spot and extra first round pick the following year.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The other Defenses is usually rested.  The tables are easier flip. Get a three and out, can be a whole new game and field position is reset... Everything the safety scoring team's Defense worked for.

Should be more than FG but less than TD.

Stops the end of game intentional safety BS.

That point difference with FG throws a lot of games outta kilter

I don’t feel it would put things out of kilter, but rather add some flavor to the game, that and it would be a better rule change than most of the crap that’s been implemented, ??

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

I’m thinking five points and the ball. It is certainly worth more than a two point conversion as the D essentially has scored a touch down with the ball in the Opposing  players hands. Such a gaff by an offense should be punishable by more than a mere two points, jmo. 

It is - it's 2 points AND the ball

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BobChalmers said:

It is - it's 2 points AND the ball

Ah, but Five points and the ball is my take.., ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Ah, but Five points and the ball is my take.., ?

Yeah... It's gotta be worth more than a FG.  A safety combined with a score to me is worth more than a TD and PAT.  NOT less or same.

5 points get ball back... That way... If the team scores a FG after free kick, it's like a TD and 2pt. Conversion.  Score a TD and team hit jackpot.

5 points may end the end of game running around crap... Intentional safety.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

16 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Its only rare because there is only one spot on the field this can occur.  It’s not rare because it’s a difficult play to make, in fact this “play” happens many times a game on other parts of the field where you don’t get the score as its literally just a sack or tackle for loss like anywhere else on the field.  

2 points and losing the ball is a sufficient scoring system for said play.  Anything else would be excessive and unnecessary IMO

Largely agree. I might go with 3 and make it equitable to a Field Goal but I don't think it is that special of a play that it needs to be valued like a touchdown. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, ALLEN-2-DIGGS-TD!! said:

It is not the same as a turnover how many times at the end of the game have you seen a team manipulate the system by voluntarily giving up a safety

That's what makes it more strategic. Up by six , 10 seconds to go and punting from your own endzone.  Or up by 11 with less than 30 seconds, Love these decisions

On 4/12/2020 at 9:15 AM, ALLEN-2-DIGGS-TD!! said:

It is not the same as a turnover how many times at the end of the game have you seen a team manipulate the system by voluntarily giving up a safety

Not nearly as many times as I've seen teams 'manipulate the system' by running a hurry up offense.   :rolleyes:

On 4/12/2020 at 10:15 AM, ALLEN-2-DIGGS-TD!! said:

I'm not sure I've ever seen that.

If you get a safety................

You should get a 1st and goal at the opponents 3 yard line.

No points though.

I have always thought that this should be the reward for a safety.

This would really make a safety worth something.

Edited by njbuff