POLL: How much should a safety be worth?

cage

POLL: How much should a safety be worth?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. How much should a safety be worth?

• They got it right, 2 points and the ball
    • 5 points and kick-off just like FG or TD
    • 7 points and kick-off just like FG or TD
    • 11 points and kick-off just like FG or TD
    • 15 points and kick-off just like FG or TD

Interesting argument on 538 that it should be worth much more than 2 points.  Given that they're actually much rarer than a defensive TD.  They're landing at 11 points, which would change a lot of late game strategies...thoughts?  

I think I would like it as 5 points and keeping the ball, which was not one of the choices they looked at.  It is a difficult play and should be awarded more points than two.  I don't think I like the changes in late game strategy their approach would lead to which would likely include the trailing team kneeling down at the opponents 1 to deliberately not score a TD and turn the ball over.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/nfl-safeties-should-be-worth-more-than-touchdowns/

Edited by cage
  • Like (+1) 1

I’m thinking five points and the ball. It is certainly worth more than a two point conversion as the D essentially has scored a touch down with the ball in the Opposing  players hands. Such a gaff by an offense should be punishable by more than a mere two points, jmo. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, cage said:

Interesting argument on 538 that it should be worth much more than 2 points.  Given that they're actually much rarer than a defensive TD.  They're landing at 11 points, which would change a lot of late game strategies...thoughts?  

I think I would like it as 5 points and keeping the ball, which was not one of the choices they looked at.  It is a difficult play and should be awarded more points than two.  I don't think I like the changes in late game strategy their approach would lead to which would likely include the trailing team kneeling down at the opponents 1 to deliberately not score a TD and turn the ball over.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/nfl-safeties-should-be-worth-more-than-touchdowns/

Interesting article and discussion.  Why not just make it a defensive TD and award it to the defender making the tackle?  Proceed from there like any TD.  6 points and PAT/2-pt conversation, then kick off to follow.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, cage said:

Its only rare because there is only one spot on the field this can occur.  It’s not rare because it’s a difficult play to make, in fact this “play” happens many times a game on other parts of the field where you don’t get the score as its literally just a sack or tackle for loss like anywhere else on the field.  

2 points and losing the ball is a sufficient scoring system for said play.  Anything else would be excessive and unnecessary IMO

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

How about giving the defensive team that just forced the safety a choice of:

Get the ball at mid- field

Get the ball on your own 40 plus 1 point

Get the the ball on your own 30 plus  2 points

etc down to your own 10  plus 4 points

This could make for interested coaching decisions.  Take the points or field position.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It's a Free Kick.  Safety should be worth more because it resets the field position battle... Which if the team that gave up the safety can defend... A lot of times giving up 2 points works in their favor.  A pesky point shy of a FG.  See: SuperBowl XXV.

If you get the ball back at mid-field after the safety and can't do anything but punt it right back....well....kind of your own fault.

2 points and the ball is just fine.

It's basically a turnover plus a couple of points. I don't see any reason why it should be worth more. Turnovers are huge in football. Getting the ball back is incentive enough, PLUS you get a couple points.

2 hours ago, ALLEN-2-DIGGS-TD!! said:

I voted 15 points let's make getting a safety so extremely valuable or detrimental that it is a definite game changer. Make it mean something.

Does an interception mean something? Imagine giving the defense 2 points every time they catch an interception or force a fumble. That's exactly what a safety is. It is more impactful and more detrimental than an INT or fumble.

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I don't see the need for change honestly it seems like people are overthinking this.

Its either topics like this or another thread on who our 2nd round pick should be....