Still slow burning over bad calls in Texans' game

there are very very few games where you can blame officiating for really costing you a game.

Yes there are bad calls but the Bills had plenty of chances to win and per usual over the past 25 yrs they choked.

The Bills last team that wasnt a choker was 1965.

The most blatant instance where the Bills were really robbed was the 'just give it to them' game 1998.

• Like (+1) 2

The blindside block rule was instituted to prevent players who can't see a block coming from getting destroyed.  The Texans player both saw Ford coming and wasn't contacted any harder than on any other play.  The refs should have conferred, like they did on the endzone fumble play, and overturned it based on common sense.  But since we're going by the letter of the law, I'll take the endzone fumble at the 7 points and the Bills win in regulation.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I've been having this discussion since the game.... fans just like to blame refs for everything. It was absolutely a penalty but not sure why I keep trying to convince fans who won't be convinced. As I said Spain got away with a blatant hold earlier in the drive.... refs didn't lose the game for the Bills, the Bills lost it all on their own. Mental mistakes all around lost the game. 

Would you concede that if we’re going just by text book (again I’m not sold this block is as textbook as you say) then they should have absolutely have applied the textbook consistently and given us the TD in the kickoff?  Then we’re not talking about this block or a Spain hold.

I think yeah the bills could’ve played better but the refs did affect the outcome of the game with their inconsistent officiating.

As for on to the next game we’re 1) fans so focusing on the last game doesn’t hurt anything 2) this isn’t the regular season so there isn’t a next game. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Would you concede that if we’re going just by text book (again I’m not sold this block is as textbook as you say) then they should have absolutely have applied the textbook consistently and given us the TD in the kickoff?  Then we’re not talking about this block or a Spain hold.

I think yeah the bills could’ve played better but the refs did affect the outcome of the game with their inconsistent officiating.

As for on to the next game we’re 1) fans so focusing on the last game doesn’t hurt anything 2) this isn’t the regular season so there isn’t a next game. 

It should have been a safety, I believe. An illegal forward pass in the end zone is a safety, I think.

And yes, officials should always go by the text book for every call because that's their job. Although I think the rules need to change somewhat so that players are allowed to play a little more.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Tcali said:

there are very very few games where you can blame officiating for really costing you a game.

Yes there are bad calls but the Bills had plenty of chances to win and per usual over the past 25 yrs they choked.

The Bills last team that wasnt a choker was 1965.

The most blatant instance where the Bills were really robbed was the 'just give it to them' game 1998.

I will never forget that game to this day ... .Watching it on tv it was so obvious he was out of bounds an short of the first down.   You didn't need Hi Def to see that .. it was so obvious.

16 hours ago, Chemical said:

It was heartbreaking. But let’s not forget the mistakes made by the coaching staff. Also, Josh threw a pick six that was dropped by Houston. 

I feel like the team plays better when the score is very close or they are slightly behind. 

there’s no denying that when McDermott’s Bills are leading they act like they are trying to run the clock out no matter how much time is remaining 

yep how many games have we watched of "lets not lose the game football"  If the Bills are ever going to win the big game they need the killer instinct

Agree with all these points. And it does still hurt. But look at the trajectory of the two clubs now. We've got Diggs and a club on the rise. They have BOB. What do you call a guy in the ocean with no arms or legs? TEX.

And I agree the "just give it to them" game was the worst. I called and got on the Jim Rome show after that one. Romey agreed with my take that the Bills got jobbed. Have not respected the Cheatriots for one day since then.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Only the losers B word about bad calls because they’re the only ones looking for them.  The winners are on to the next game.  Few notice the calls - whether they’re good, bad, questionable or just properly enforced bad rules - when they go for them.  They only dissect them when they don’t and they lose.

Yeah.

Probably an unpopular opinion as well around here but the Bills aren’t going into Kansas City the next weekend and beating the Chiefs.

Its all moot to me 

Edited by Another Fan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

The blindside block rule was instituted to prevent players who can't see a block coming from getting destroyed.  The Texans player both saw Ford coming and wasn't contacted any harder than on any other play.  The refs should have conferred, like they did on the endzone fumble play, and overturned it based on common sense.  But since we're going by the letter of the law, I'll take the endzone fumble at the 7 points and the Bills win in regulation.

Exactly, in order to be a blindside block the player actually has to be blindsided. Not only was this block not egregious but the block itself was mild. The rule is just as stupid as the Tuck rule.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

There were some calls but honestly the Bills still had every chance to come out of there with the win.  I rewatched it just now and its amazing how poor the defense was in the red zone giving up the two pointers with ease.  Also how little separation there was.  How little Gore had left to give.    We sure could have used Diggs in that game.  Josh really needs to focus on being aware of defenders when he's running with the football.  I hope we get a 2020 season.

1 hour ago, Coach126 said:

Agree with all these points. And it does still hurt. But look at the trajectory of the two clubs now. We've got Diggs and a club on the rise. They have BOB. What do you call a guy in the ocean with no arms or legs? TEX.

And I agree the "just give it to them" game was the worst. I called and got on the Jim Rome show after that one. Romey agreed with my take that the Bills got jobbed. Have not respected the Cheatriots for one day since then.

Yeah - i know we should just let these things go & move on .... but certain games seem to stick with us no matter what. I still remember sitting in the stands at the home opener in 1979 just knowing that we were about to beat the Dolphins after a decade of futility and seeing Tom Dempsey (RIP) miss that "easy" game winning field goal. Some things are just hard to put out of your memory -- even after 41 years ...   

Could be a turning point “lessons learned “ game.  We should have taken care of business in the red zone, then there would be no discussion about it.  

Thinking back to the Cleveland road game playoff loss, the Ronnie Harmon drop, that was a character builder for them. Let’s hope this one is too. 

Edited by Bob in STL

That touchback nonsense bothers me the most.  I mean, when does the NFL EVER use common sense to determine a play?  If they're going to start using "common sense", then they're gonna open up a whole new can of worms each week.  Did they use "common sense" when DeSean Jackson dropped the ball, he obviously didn't mean to do that. The Bills could've done a lot of things better, but the refs didn't help the situation at all.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

No I wouldn’t.

The guy clearly conceded the kick off for a touchback. That would’ve been the most ridiculous(and cheap) playoff call in the history of the sport.

He didn't clearly do anything but fumble the ball.  And it would have been no more cheap than the Ford call.  Letter of the law.  Can't have it both ways.

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

? he tossed the ball and walked away. Clearly conceding the TB. 

It would’ve been the most bull#### ridiculous call in the history of the league... hell, comparing that non play to Fords block in OT is ridiculous in its own right. 

There are procedures for giving yourself up.  He didn't follow them.  Therefore it was a fumble.  I couldn't care less how it would look because it would have been the correct call.  Instead some men in black jackets had to come onto the field and talk the refs into reversing it. 

Again Scott, letter of the law.  You can't have it both ways.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

? he tossed the ball and walked away. Clearly conceding the TB. 

It would’ve been the most bull#### ridiculous call in the history of the league... hell, comparing that non play to Fords block in OT is ridiculous in its own right. 

That is the price for not knowing the rules and playing by them. There is no “too stupid excuse” and I don’t care what your intent was. I care what you do.  What if he didn’t mean to step out of bounds? He’s still OB! That's why they have a rule book. Period . Now, might you argue it’s an illegal forward pass in the end zone and a safety? IDK, but it was NOT a touchback. 

Having said that, I refuse to let this make me crazy. I’ll just hope it’s a step in the right direction for a young team learning how to win playoff games. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

That is the price for not knowing the rules and playing by them. There is no “too stupid excuse” and I don’t care what your intent was. I care what you do. That's why they have a rule book. Period . Now, might you argue it’s an illegal forward pass in the end zone and a safety? IDK, but it was NOT a touchback. 

Why do I have a feeling if that was Roberts vs the Patriots people would have said ‘Belichick teaches his guys to know the rules’?

Our return guys knew exactly what happened. So did the ref. Very, very easy call and not at all controversial to rule in our favor. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

No I wouldn’t.

The guy clearly conceded the kick off for a touchback. That would’ve been the most ridiculous(and cheap) playoff call in the history of the sport.

Really? Ask the Raiders about that and the tuck rule.

• Like (+1) 2