Still slow burning over bad calls in Texans' game

The touchback call I think was just common sense. He obviously gave himself up in the endzone, so it's a touchback.

The delay of game is hard to tell. The broadcast didn't always show the right numbers. By the picture it was, but there's no way to tell if it actually was a penalty.

The "helmet to helmet" wasn't a penalty. To me that's not even close. 

I do think the crack back penalty was a bit excessive for what happened.

Edited by cle23
  • Like (+1) 1

A) Yes the calls sucked especially the Ford block.

B) Maybe Sean will learn not to be so damn conservative with leads.

C) We probably weren't winning anyway with all the JJ Watt media lovefest.

D) With all this Coronavirus nightmare going on I'll be happy if I live long enough to see Josh play year 3.

I agree with everything except the Cody Ford blindsided block. He broke the rules plain and simple.

But the other things were bad. I will say that refs miss the delay of game penalty all the time. It went in favor for Buffalo at least once as well when the ball was snapped long after the play clock read zero.

Ultimately you can't blame things on the refs, though. The Bills should have gotten it done. Delay of game shouldn't have mattered. The elite defense we have should have prevented a 3rd and 18 conversion. They should have sacked Watson instead of letting him get loose at the end. Have to pin this loss on the team.

Bad calls happen every single game. You have to overcome them. Every team's fans think the refs are out to get them.

Edited by MJS

7 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Actually, ScottLaw, Ford is not parallel to his own goal line when he blocks the defender.  Hell, the picture above shows him squaring up on the defender.  Ford is parallel to the sidelines on that block.  The defender is facing the sidelines and Ford hits him face to face. Don't take my word for it though, watch the video.  Go to the 2:55 mark of the video and see for yourself and then come back and argue with me some more...

Just look at the still frame before pressing play and you can see that Ford is facing his own end zone (parallel) and the force of the block (what little there was) pushes the defender towards Ford's end zone.

And the man in the video seems to be saying they called the penalty because the defender wasn't looking. The defender looking is not important. He came back and blocked the guy illegally. It sucks it got called.

Doesn't matter if the player was in the play or not. Ford was moving toward his own end line and contacted the defender with his forearm. To block within the rules all he needed to do was extend his arms and push the defender with his hands. If you make contact with your hands it is not a penalty because a blindsided block requires contact with the helmet, forearm, or shoulder. Forceable contact does not mean hitting hard. Forceable means enacting force to initiate contact at any level of severity.

Ticky tack call for sure, but it is technically against the rules. People can argue that it should not have been called because it was Ticky tack, but nobody should be arguing that Ford was operating within the rules! He wasn't!

Edited by MJS

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Parallel WITH the goal line*. It’s a close call either way.... and the refs didn’t cost us the game. Inexperience and mistakes all around did.

Dude, don't back down from them. Ford was clearly facing his end zone and moving towards it. Toward or parallel to your own end zone is illegal when making a block with your forearm, helmet, or shoulder.

I do not know what people are looking at. This is the exact definition of a blindside block! People are hung up on the word parallel, but who cares about that word? The rule says TOWARD or PARALLEL your own end zone. Ford moved toward his own end zone to initiate contact.

They also are hind up on the word forceable thinking it means you have to hit hard. Not true. Forceable means to exert force of any kind. They can't just say contact because that would include any incidental contact.

I disagree with you on practically everything, but not this.

Edited by MJS

10 hours ago, njbuff said:

I still have nightmares over the Harmon drop. ?

But then I come to the realization that if Harmon catches that ball, the Bills go to Denver and that would be a very difficult game to begin with.

Then if they beat Denver, they would have gotten crushed by that all time great Niners team in the SB.

So, in other words, if Harmon caught that ball, we would have been talking about FIVE SB losses in row (had they beat Denver).

This is the most positive thing I've ever seen written on TBD. Brilliant!

9 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Give me a break ScottLaw.  Watch the video.  Ford blocks him face to face, Josh Allen is maybe two yards away from the defender, the defender is still actively in the play trying to tackle the QB,  Ford does't de-cleat the defender or hammer him.  It's a horrendous call.  Period.  If Ford's block is a penalty then there is a personal foul on every other running play that goes around the edge.

And if you want to play the, "just read the  ***** rules" game,  just go ahead and read the rule on giving yourself up when receiving a kickoff, and then tell me why that wasn't a Bills touchdown to start the second half. 

I don't know how you can possibly defend that penalty call on Ford.  It makes sense that you would though, all you do here is troll.   I bet you have six fingers on your right hand...

six.jpg.31eb17258a82920d6ae09f4b24d53ed4.jpg

ScottLaw's Hand

I might have to see what ScottyLaw can do with that extra finger:wub:

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

My take on that game was that the Bills and the Texans were teams with that were pretty evenly matched talent wise.  The game was going to be a coin toss from the start.  Looking at the game there were multiple factors that swung the game to the Texans.  Every bad call in the game went against the Bills.  Change a single one of those bad calls and the Bills win. Here are the refs "Greatest Hits" of the game.  There wasn't a single bad call against the Texans.  I'm not claiming there was a conspiracy by the refs,  just horrendous officiating.

Before everyone starts the what about Allen, what about Daboll, what about the second half defense arguments, if anyone of these calls goes the other way, the Bills win the game.  Once again, not saying there was a conspiracy,  just the the Bills had four horrible calls go against them in the game, each one a critical call that screwed the Bills and had a clear effect on the outcome of the game. 

The first bad call was the officials disregarding the letter of the rule to apply "common sense" to the touch back / non touch back at the beginning of the second half.   It reminds me of all those plays where the showboating player drops the ball at the one yard line when he starts to celebrate  his TD too early and the officials just give him the TD anyways because he meant to score a TD.  Wait a minute...  It's the first time since I've been watching football for decades that I have ever seen an officiating crew decide to ignore a rule as written because the player didn't mean to violate the rule.  Watch for yourself, the player moves backwards with his arms at waste level behind him.  That is apparently the new signal for a touch back in the NFL.   Does anyone think that if he had instead run the ball out of the end zone on that play the ref would have called a penalty on him?  The end zone official, the one 10 feet from the player ruled that he never gave himself up.  The video shows the play and goes in to detail on the touch back rule and how it was ignored in this instance.

The second bad call is the non call delay of game on the 3rd and 18 in overtime that the Texans end up converting...  https://larrybrownsports.com/football/referees-miss-delay-of-game-penalty-texans/531492  The link discusses this in greater detail.

delay.jpg.17e92bebab53f0ebe0c45bced9e87ecf.jpg

The third bad call is Zach Cunningham's egregious helmet to helmet on Josh Allen in OT.  That missed call would have put the Bills inside the Texans 30 with a 1st down...

The fourth bad call, and the grand daddy of them all, was the "illegal crack back / blindside block by Cody Ford.   Unlike the second half kick off non-touch back where the refs intuit the intent of the player, here the officials decide to apply the literal interpretation of the rule meticulously even though this is clearly not the type of "blind side" hit the rule was written to prevent.  If this is a "blind side" hit then there is one of these "blind side' hits on just about every running play in the game.  Here is a link to a video that shows the play from every angle.  There is also the cross field angle which truly shows just how horrible the call was.  I recommend watching the entire video or you can just fast forward to the 1:30 mark to see the cross field angle.  I guess Ford was just supposed to stand there an let the DE run past him to tackle Allen..  It still makes me sick.  This would play have put the bills in field goal range in OT again.

Get over it Indigo.  Were there some bad calls? Yes.

Should the Bills still have won the game irregardless of the calls? Yes.

The team and coaches spit the bit when the lights were the brightest.  Hopefully it is something that they all learn from.

The inconsistency is the problem to me. If we’re playing by the letter then we get the TD and sure ford made a bad block (I still think his vector is more towards the sideline than it is towards his own goal). If you are being reasonable then no TD (I was ok it in real time) but don’t call that silly blindside block. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, The Dean said:

Still slow burning?

Quick advice : STOP!

Anything positive coming from it?  If not, why bother?

Inigo ,y friend, I’m with Dean with this one.  Let’s move onto 2020.  As BB says, we’re onto Cincinnati as a metaphor.

BTW - I’m with you bad calls, some very questionable play calling, but it’s over.

My biggest beef besides the helmet to helmet on Josh is the second half kick off.

The proper procedure in the rule book  to down a kick off is to take a knee.

The arms out thing is for  a player not making an attempt to catch the ball.

He catches the ball does not take a knee the ball is live.

I bet if that had happened to the Bills it would have had a different outcome.

The rules are the rules and they are there for a reason.

Just like a QB with the arm going forward....if his hand is empty its a fumble.....but wait the QB intended a forward pass overturn the call ;) 

Edited by JMF2006
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

My biggest beef besides the helmet to helmet on Josh is the second half kick off.

The proper procedure in the rule book  to down a kick off is to take a knee.

The arms out thing is for  a player not making an attempt to catch the ball.

He catches the ball does not take a knee the ball is live.

Correct! The rules are not there to save players from their own foolish mistakes. Remember the NCAA basketball final where the kid called a timeout when they didn’t have one? The referee didn’t hesitate to give him a technical foul and they lost the national championship. No controversy whatsoever.

• Like (+1) 2

Only the losers B word about bad calls because they’re the only ones looking for them.  The winners are on to the next game.  Few notice the calls - whether they’re good, bad, questionable or just properly enforced bad rules - when they go in their team’s favor.  They only dissect them when they don’t and they lose.

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Dude, don't back down from them. Ford was clearly facing his end zone and moving towards it. Toward or parallel to your own end zone is illegal when making a block with your forearm, helmet, or shoulder.

I do not know what people are looking at. This is the exact definition of a blindside block! People are hung up on the word parallel, but who cares about that word? The rule says TOWARD or PARALLEL your own end zone. Ford moved toward his own end zone to initiate contact.

They also are hind up on the word forceable thinking it means you have to hit hard. Not true. Forceable means to exert force of any kind. They can't just say contact because that would include any incidental contact.

I disagree with you on practically everything, but not this.

I got hung up on “forcible contact”, which is different than “contact” implies judgement, and the fact that similar calls were not made in subsequent games, including  at least two Mahommes scrambles thereafter.  The fine line between “Holy crap what a play” and a flag is razor thin. 

Also, it’s hard to separate rational “ah, they viewed it as forcible” when a shot to the head is not called as well.  And when black-suited officials suddenly rush into the field, like evil Spider-Man in a Marvel comic book. ?

The NFL, phrases like “good no call!” and the relative dearth of obviously flag-worthy calls as the game comes to critical points is the true culprit here.  

When the league improves the officiating experience, people will have less to complain about. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I've been having this discussion since the game.... fans just like to blame refs for everything. It was absolutely a penalty but not sure why I keep trying to convince fans who won't be convinced. As I said Spain got away with a blatant hold earlier in the drive.... refs didn't lose the game for the Bills, the Bills lost it all on their own. Mental mistakes all around lost the game. 

The game was too big for them -- still if one fella makes a block for Josh, its a W. And the refs were atrocious, six fingers ?.

15 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

My take on that game was that the Bills and the Texans were teams with that were pretty evenly matched talent wise.  The game was going to be a coin toss from the start.  Looking at the game there were multiple factors that swung the game to the Texans.  Every bad call in the game went against the Bills.  Change a single one of those bad calls and the Bills win. Here are the refs "Greatest Hits" of the game.  There wasn't a single bad call against the Texans.  I'm not claiming there was a conspiracy by the refs,  just horrendous officiating.

Before everyone starts the what about Allen, what about Daboll, what about the second half defense arguments, if anyone of these calls goes the other way, the Bills win the game.  Once again, not saying there was a conspiracy,  just the the Bills had four horrible calls go against them in the game, each one a critical call that screwed the Bills and had a clear effect on the outcome of the game. 

The first bad call was the officials disregarding the letter of the rule to apply "common sense" to the touch back / non touch back at the beginning of the second half.   It reminds me of all those plays where the showboating player drops the ball at the one yard line when he starts to celebrate  his TD too early and the officials just give him the TD anyways because he meant to score a TD.  Wait a minute...  It's the first time since I've been watching football for decades that I have ever seen an officiating crew decide to ignore a rule as written because the player didn't mean to violate the rule.  Watch for yourself, the player moves backwards with his arms at waste level behind him.  That is apparently the new signal for a touch back in the NFL.   Does anyone think that if he had instead run the ball out of the end zone on that play the ref would have called a penalty on him?  The end zone official, the one 10 feet from the player ruled that he never gave himself up.  The video shows the play and goes in to detail on the touch back rule and how it was ignored in this instance.

The second bad call is the non call delay of game on the 3rd and 18 in overtime that the Texans end up converting...  https://larrybrownsports.com/football/referees-miss-delay-of-game-penalty-texans/531492  The link discusses this in greater detail.

delay.jpg.17e92bebab53f0ebe0c45bced9e87ecf.jpg

The third bad call is Zach Cunningham's egregious helmet to helmet on Josh Allen in OT.  That missed call would have put the Bills inside the Texans 30 with a 1st down...

The fourth bad call, and the grand daddy of them all, was the "illegal crack back / blindside block by Cody Ford.   Unlike the second half kick off non-touch back where the refs intuit the intent of the player, here the officials decide to apply the literal interpretation of the rule meticulously even though this is clearly not the type of "blind side" hit the rule was written to prevent.  If this is a "blind side" hit then there is one of these "blind side' hits on just about every running play in the game.  Here is a link to a video that shows the play from every angle.  There is also the cross field angle which truly shows just how horrible the call was.  I recommend watching the entire video or you can just fast forward to the 1:30 mark to see the cross field angle.  I guess Ford was just supposed to stand there an let the DE run past him to tackle Allen..  It still makes me sick.  This would play have put the bills in field goal range in OT again.

The Key to the touchdown touchback is simple.  If you watch the earlier kickoff after the Bills score the same player rightfully downs the ball in the endzone.  He doesn't toss the ball to the ref, he looks up field realizes bringing it out is not a good idea and takes a knee.  HE KNEW THE RULE.   By tossing it towards the ref he had a brain fart but that should not have causes the Bills points.  It was the players mistake and it cost the Bills.