Still slow burning over bad calls in Texans' game

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

I bet $500 on Hou to "hedge my happiness." Would have gladly lost the cash, but at least winning $500 took a little sting out of it. I will do that moving forward too.

Hope you got in early cause that line went HOU-2.5 fast and betting Texans money line as a Bills fan seems less like a hedge and more like self flagellation

8 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

That ping pong escape by Watson will always be a nightmare I won't be able to get out of my mind.  Right up there with the Bryce Brown Chiefs fumble, the McKelvin Pats fumble, the OT TD drop by Stevie, the MCM, the pass interference call on a Hal Mary against the Pats, wide right, the Harmon drop, etc...The perils of being a Bills fan.

I still have nightmares over the Harmon drop. ?

But then I come to the realization that if Harmon catches that ball, the Bills go to Denver and that would be a very difficult game to begin with.

Then if they beat Denver, they would have gotten crushed by that all time great Niners team in the SB.

So, in other words, if Harmon caught that ball, we would have been talking about FIVE SB losses in row (had they beat Denver).

10 minutes ago, njbuff said:

But then I come to the realization that if Harmon catches that ball, the Bills go to Denver and that would be a very difficult game to begin with.

Then if they beat Denver, they would have gotten crushed by that all time great Niners team in the SB.

So, in other words, if Harmon caught that ball, we would have been talking about FIVE SB losses in row (had they beat Denver).

Very true.  Denver would've been difficult and the 49ers seemed unbeatable that year.  You never know though and I would've at least liked to find out.

Edited by Doc Brown

37 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

For the love of god. Just read the ***** rules. The illegal block WAS AN ILLEGAL BLOCK. 

Give me a break ScottLaw.  Watch the video.  Ford blocks him face to face, Josh Allen is maybe two yards away from the defender, the defender is still actively in the play trying to tackle the QB,  Ford does't de-cleat the defender or hammer him.  It's a horrendous call.  Period.  If Ford's block is a penalty then there is a personal foul on every other running play that goes around the edge.

And if you want to play the, "just read the  ***** rules" game,  just go ahead and read the rule on giving yourself up when receiving a kickoff, and then tell me why that wasn't a Bills touchdown to start the second half. 

I don't know how you can possibly defend that penalty call on Ford.  It makes sense that you would though, all you do here is troll.   I bet you have six fingers on your right hand...

six.jpg.31eb17258a82920d6ae09f4b24d53ed4.jpg

ScottLaw's Hand

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Was Ford parallel to his own goal line when he made the block? 

Your problem is with the rule. Not the call.

Actually, ScottLaw, Ford is not parallel to his own goal line when he blocks the defender.  Hell, the picture above shows him squaring up on the defender.  Ford is parallel to the sidelines on that block.  The defender is facing the sidelines and Ford hits him face to face. Don't take my word for it though, watch the video.  Go to the 2:55 mark of the video and see for yourself and then come back and argue with me some more...

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 2

The blown touchback call itself doesn’t even bother me that much because we still had opportunities to win the game.  
Strangely I’m bothered more by the clowns calling the game - Tessitore and McFarland - absolutely influencing N.Y. over-ruling the call on the field.  If the game were being called by a non-moron like Romo, he would’ve pointed out the refs can’t guess about the players intent and need to make the call based on the rule book.  The black shirts would’ve had 2nd thoughts over-ruling the call.  Instead we get the D broadcasting team who talks to hear themselves and doesn’t have the smarts to point out that the refs can’t pretend to know what the player is thinking.  Nobody in the booth taking the side of the rule book made it easy for the black shirts and suits in NY to reverse the call.  

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

His hips are square with the defender as he forearms him with both arms to make the block. It was a ticky tack call but by definition a penalty.... either way blaming the loss on the refs is bogus...earlier that drive the Bills got away with a clear hold on Spain.

Yeah and the kick returner fumbled the football to start the 2nd half.  Sure it would have been a ticky tack call but by definition a fumble.  You can't have it both ways.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

The Harmon drop is in fact my first really clear emotional connection to the Bills specifically.

I was into sports earlier than that season/that play, but I remember instead an assortment of connections to successful and popular teams in the mid-eighties, like the '85 Bears, the '86 Mets, the Broncos and 49ers, and in-person the Sabres-vs-Bruins bloodbaths in the Aud that scared the poop out of ten-ish year old me.

That Bills game, and that finish, was my first Bills scar. Extended family members were spitting mad. Those Sicilians...

If Ford is facing the Texan's sideline then he is PERPENDICULAR to his goal line.  

Ford facing Texan's sideline

_______  Goal line

The rule is to stop a player on offense from running back towards their own goal line (facing their own goal line, parallel to it) and de-cleating a defender moving up the field in pursuit of the play.  We've all seen these bad hits before.  A defender is running after the ball carrier who is ahead of him and gets drilled by a offensive player who had peeled back (the offensive player facing his own goal line) and de-cleats the defender who never saw it coming.

blindside.jpg.6962a70101188703ef08588050fe4e34.jpg  

740051531_blindside2.jpg.f03929f43717a7dba18e06c7afd554a8.jpg

THESE are blind side blocks.  The offensive player is facing his goal line (parallel to it) and hammers the defender

Give it up ScottLaw, you're simply wrong here.  

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 5

Some will call it a ticky tack call, I call it a horrible call. Either way, you can't make a "ticky tack" call like that in overtime of a regular season game, let alone a playoff game. That call in unacceptable in my opinion. Bills should have been trying a long FG or going for it on 4th and 3 or 4. 

On a different note, I re watched the game tonight and the throw Allen made in OT on third down to Singletary was just unbelievable! Not many can make that throw. Also it turns out the third and 18 we gave up, and the missed sack at the end of OT still make me sick to my stomach. Who knew.

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He’s facing the Texans sideline and therefore PARALLEL to his own goal line/end zone when he makes the block.... 

How can you be facing the sideline and at the same time be parallel to a goal line? That doesn't even make sense. You would be perpendicular to a goal line if you are facing a sideline like Ford is.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Those two calls (touchback and blind side block) pretty much cost the Bills the game, but you hope they play better in order to neutralize bad officiating. 

I think that's the end-all-be-all judgement and you're not going to get any closure from this.

What really needs to happen is NFL officiating takes a back seat while becoming more transparent, like the XFL did. Just let the players play and only focus on the egregious stuff. Otherwise, refs can live in the grey area and control the outcomes (which is great for the NFL if they want to control Vegas).

• Like (+1) 2

Look, this is how the NFL works. I do not believe they totally rig games (with the outcome decided before the game starts), but the team with more star players or a bigger market or a better story, are often going to get a little help from the refs here and there. Whether it is the other team getting the call on 50/50 or iffy calls, or helping to dig that team out of a hole with a bad call, or calling back positive plays for the Bills (or other so perceived lower-tier teams), it is just the way it works. I mean, how easy is it to call a block in the back on a great return, or a holding call on a first down completion without it looking like bias. Usually we won't even get a replay of it to verify it. It's the same way that a star player in the NBA gets a foul almost every time he drives the lane and the no-name player doesn't get the call even when he is hacked badly, because the NBA wants their stars to score a lot of points, etc. It is pure and simple marketing by the leagues. And if you don't think that an organization as big and powerful as the NFL doesn't have major Marketing and PR departments that influence how the league does business, then I just don't know what to tell you. The NFL absolutely has preferences in certain games for certain teams to win, either because they are the bigger market or the NFL wants to push a particular story line.

See Super Bowl XL (2006) - the first time that this became blatantly obvious to me. The Seahawks were robbed because the NFL wanted Cowher to get his ring and to have the story of the Bus riding off into the sunset with a championship. Those two things dominated the media the weeks leading up to the game. So, that's how the NFL wanted it to go---and probably overreached a bit too much to make it happen, by basically calling back two Seahwak TDs, among other bad calls that all seemed to go Pittsburgh's way. And I believe that even though I was rooting for the Steelers at the time and have never liked the Seahawks. Here is what Ed Hoculi had to say about it, "The Super Bowl was one of those games where it seemed the big calls went against Seattle," Hochuli said in August 2006. "And that was just fortuitous -- bad fortuitous for Seattle." Freudian slip maybe? And how about the ref who actually called the game (Bill Leavy)? He had this to say, "I kicked two calls in the fourth quarter and I impacted the game, and as an official, you never want to do that...I'll go to my grave wishing that I'd been better." The NFL has learned to be more subtle about it, but it still happens all the time, especially in big games.

So, the only solution for the Bills (and for us) is not to complain about it or hold onto it, but instead to get good enough that the refs can't tilt the game without it being obvious. Where the Bills can overcome a few bad calls and still win the game. And it wouldn't hurt to become a popular team (i.e., have some NFL-wide star players, etc.).

Now, I am not saying that this is why the Bills have been as bad as they have for so long. We all know that is down to the Bills themselves: bad ownership (in Ralph's later years), bad GMs and/or front office personnel, bad coaching, lack of talent, etc. But, being a small market team, we will continue to not get the calls in close games (especially if it is a big game), until we can overcome that with superior play and some popularity (star players, etc.).

Yes, we'll still get mad in the moment of a bad call, but we kind of have to just accept that this is the way it is until the Bills ascend high enough...which will hopefully start this year. Their play and popularity is definitely on an uptick and we have a lot of guys that could become NFL-wide stars (Tre, Diggs, Josh, Tremaine, Devin). So, don't grieve too much for what is past, but instead look to a better future.

I know many will call me a tinfoil-hat guy for suggesting this, but to me, it just seems painfully obvious.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

As bad as those calls were I just can’t help but remember Don Beebe’s TD that should have been called back in the comeback game.  I know that was only one missed call but I don’t believe the Bills make the comeback if that call doesn’t stand.  Officiating has been bad for a while but I would like to think things usually even out in the end.

• Like (+1) 1

Its crazy to see this thread up here because I finally worked up the nerve to watch this heartbreaker earlier tonight. All i can say is that Buffalo should've won this game in a blowout. I dont think i can remember a single game with so many missed opportunities in it. This could've been the season the Bills 

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Was Ford parallel to his own goal line when he made the block? 

Your problem is with the rule. Not the call.

You and I disagree more than we agree, but I'm with you on this.

It would also have been a reasonable non-call, but by the rules did he commit the foul? Yup. It could have been maybe legal if he had extended his arms and made it obvious that he was patty-caking him to stop him. Instead he brought his arms in and made it look like he was putting his shoulder and helmet into the guy.

It's a shame because it wasn't unsportsmanlike or vicious. But yeah, it broke the rule.

We didn't lose that game because of the refs. We lost it because we weren't good enough in the second half.

And it's not clear if anyone's still arguing with you here, but you're dead right on the parallel/perpendicular thing. The line a player makes is the way he's facing and moving. If you're moving/facing towards the sideline, if you keep running straight you'll hit the sideline. You don't hit a line if you're moving parallel to it. You hit a line if you're moving perpendicular to it. Ford was moving perpendicular to the sideline and parallel to the goal line. No dispute there.

Edited by Thurman#1