Still slow burning over bad calls in Texans' game

4 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Here's my thread on the BS penalty calls in the wildcard game.

It was ScottLaw arguing that the Ford block was a penalty.........?

INCONCEIVABLE!

How he is generally wrong at that time AND with hindsight is always funny to me

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Here's my thread on the BS penalty calls in the wildcard game.

It was ScottLaw arguing that the Ford block was a penalty.........?

INCONCEIVABLE!

Yep. Suffice to say, his take on that call did not age well. At. All. 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills blew a 16 point lead and lost the game because they lost their urgency on offense in the second half.     Not because of officiating.   They had the Texans on their heels but once Houston realized they didn't have to worry about the Bills scoring again and had plenty of time to run the ball at the Bills soft interior DL the Bills were in trouble.

I was actually surprised they managed to keep the score tied in regulation as poorly as they played.

They played a similar style early this past season until it cost them the Arizona game...........after that they stopped taking their foot off the pedal and were rewarded for their aggression.   

I get the "you can't blame one play/call theory" it's always the truth. Though saying a completely botched officiating job throughout the entire game (that went to OT) did not have a culminating effect on the outcome of a 3 point game is a bit rich. Hard to imagine how you could even think that is remotely true.

If your just saying, no excuses move on but yeah they probably got screwed a little, I can at least understand that.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Do you think the bills would had lost if the refs would’ve kept the points on the board from the kickoff?  

If the penalty wasn’t called on Ford, we would’ve had an opportunity to win the game.  Regardless of if he would’ve made of missed the FG (or if we would’ve gone for it on 4th), he Haus was having himself a good day in a dome.   Taking opportunities away from teams due to fraudulent penalties can always be a reason a team lost. It’s never THE reason a team lost, there are usually several reasons that a team loses.  Blaming it on one thing is nonsense.

1) Possibly, yes.   There is no reason to think that the Texans wouldn't have put up 24 second half points if they needed to.    O'Brien actually coached the Bills back into the game at the end. 

2) The penalty on Ford was legit......it had been called that way all season in 2019.   It was an unnecessary, dumb play by a player who had been prone to mental mistakes that season.

Saying something is "a reason" but not "the reason" is trying to have it both ways.    EVERY play and coaching decision is a FACTOR in deciding the outcome of a close game.    The Bills made a lot more bad plays/decisions than the officials.   They played a terrible half of football.

And it's a statistical fact that the home team gets more calls.    It wasn't unique to this matchup.   The Bills weren't the home team because they didn't take care of business in their two games against a very vulnerable Patriots team.   

Honestly, I thought we as a fanbase should have learned the lessons from 2019.    The Bills didn't play well enough that day, or that season,  to earn the win in Houston.   Play to win not just to get a lead and hang on.......win your division or expect to have to be significantly better than your opponents in the playoffs.  

The Bills benefitted greatly from being more consistently aggressive in second halves in the second half of 2020.........and they reaped the benefits in the playoffs when they actually won their WC round game this year against a team that outplayed them.       

• Disagree 1

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Puh-leeze.

What swung that game was that the Bills were pretty bad in the second half.

And that play on the kickoff was one of the rare, unusual and welcome cases when the NFL did the right thing even though they had to break the rules to do it. They followed the spirit of the game. It was fine. If they had not done that football fandom would have spent the next 50 years talking about how the Bills got a BS touchdown and the Texans, though the interpretation of the rules was correct, were ripped off. And they'd have been right. If we'd wanted to score on that drive, we should have earned it by going down and scoring.

I think they'd be saying Carter was an idiot for not taking a knee, like every other touchback I can remember.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1) Possibly, yes.   There is no reason to think that the Texans wouldn't have put up 24 second half points if they needed to.    O'Brien actually coached the Bills back into the game at the end. 

2) The penalty on Ford was legit......it had been called that way all season in 2019.   It was an unnecessary, dumb play by a player who had been prone to mental mistakes that season.

Saying something is "a reason" but not "the reason" is trying to have it both ways.    EVERY play and coaching decision is a FACTOR in deciding the outcome of a close game.    The Bills made a lot more bad plays/decisions than the officials.   They played a terrible half of football.

And it's a statistical fact that the home team gets more calls.    It wasn't unique to this matchup.   The Bills weren't the home team because they didn't take care of business in their two games against a very vulnerable Patriots team.   

Honestly, I thought we as a fanbase should have learned the lessons from 2019.    The Bills didn't play well enough that day, or that season,  to earn the win in Houston.   Play to win not just to get a lead and hang on.......win your division or expect to have to be significantly better than your opponents in the playoffs.  

The Bills benefitted greatly from being more consistently aggressive in second halves in the second half of 2020.........and they reaped the benefits in the playoffs when they actually won their WC round game this year against a team that outplayed them.       

So they could have put up 24 second half points if needed but chose 19 because they wanted to play an OT game? 

Pretty sure your just arguing to argue at this point lol

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

i get your point. 

i don’t agree with “The Bills blew a 16 point lead and lost the game because they lost their urgency on offense in the second half.     Not because of officiating”.  

they blew a 16 point lead for a variety of reasons.  Losing their sense of urgency + the officiating are both among the reasons. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

In real game speed I’m sure it looked close...either way, the call could’ve easily been avoided altogether had Ford simply just impeded his path to Allen. 

Ford did impede the defender’s path to Allen with a perfectly legal block. The call could have been avoided simply by the ref not botching the call. You can’t put that on Ford at all. What, are you gonna suggest that offensive lineman should merely impede when they’ve been trained their whole life to complete blocks? 

I get that things happen in a bang bang fashion at game speed and refs aren’t perfect and bad calls are gonna be made. It happens and I’ve always accepted it as part of the game. And it will happen again.

But it was funny how you dug in and vehemently stuck to your guns even months afterward, even with the benefit of countless slow motion replays that clearly showed it was a bad call. 

Edited by K-9

28 minutes ago, NewEra said:

i get your point. 

i don’t agree with “The Bills blew a 16 point lead and lost the game because they lost their urgency on offense in the second half.     Not because of officiating”.  

they blew a 16 point lead for a variety of reasons.  Losing their sense of urgency + the officiating are both among the reasons. 

Yeah perhaps better stated is that you can only control certain things.

In order of easiest to control:

1) Your mindset and or strategy

2) Your calls

3) Your execution

I thought that the Bills mindset changed in the second half.........that's the most controllable aspect of all variables.........hence why I put it as the key factor.

You can't control officiating.   You can influence it for or against you.......Ford influenced it against him with the unnecessary aspects of his block.    

But people who don't accept that you can't control officiating and let go of the need to feel otherwise are doomed to be irrationally outraged and miserable.

When you don't get the benefit of a call or 3 you still have a whopping 140-160 other plays that you can control.   

• Agree 1

There would be far less issues if the actual rules were enforced, such as the fumble and ensuing TD by the Bills in that playoff game, 

the actual rules say it was a fumble and a TD, what causes the problems is the refs not enforcing actual rules and then you get BS rulings on the field. We won that game if the rules were followed. 

That said it’s far to late now, no need to continue fretting about it further.

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

There would be far less issues if the actual rules were enforced, such as the fumble and ensuing TD by the Bills in that playoff game, 

the actual rules say it was a fumble and a TD, what causes the problems is the refs not enforcing actual rules and then you get BS rulings on the field. We won that game if the rules were followed. 

That said it’s far to late now, no need to continue fretting about it further.

Yeah, I said at the time that if they’re going to use “common sense” on one call they should do it on every call.  The defender Ford contacted wasn’t harmed in anyway so they should’ve picked up the flag.

43 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, I said at the time that if they’re going to use “common sense” on one call they should do it on every call.  The defender Ford contacted wasn’t harmed in anyway so they should’ve picked up the flag.

I still don’t even understand the rule. The defender was squared up and running at Josh and fully seeing what was in front of him. It wasn’t even a blind side hit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'll admit, it rubs me the wrong way still. I am still livid.

But if the Bills won that game, they were almost certainly getting bounced in the next round. They weren't ready.

They win that game, maybe our first round pick doesn't look so appealing to the Vikes and we miss out on Diggs and drop far enough to newer get an elite receiver in the draft. 

As an ancillary result of losing that game, Allen really seemed to grow in the off-season. It seems after getting a lot of grief about his play in that game he stepped up. We are far better off going into 2021.

But those calls were still ***** stupid

35 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I'll admit, it rubs me the wrong way still. I am still livid.

But if the Bills won that game, they were almost certainly getting bounced in the next round. They weren't ready.

They win that game, maybe our first round pick doesn't look so appealing to the Vikes and we miss out on Diggs and drop far enough to newer get an elite receiver in the draft. 

As an ancillary result of losing that game, Allen really seemed to grow in the off-season. It seems after getting a lot of grief about his play in that game he stepped up. We are far better off going into 2021.

But those calls were still ***** stupid

Allen seems to be wired "me vs. The world" which is great. I love it.

I feel the same way and it's the only way to be, corporate or playing field that's the mentality you need.

Maybe your right, but somehow I feel any game he loses in the playoffs will stick with him, as it should.

That's a good thing in case your wondering.