Still slow burning over bad calls in Texans' game

I did not like the blocking in the call.  But I'm not sure you can say with certainty that it cost the Bills the game. 

If the call hadn't been made the Bills had a real tricky call to make.  It would have been 4th down and I think about 4.  And I think it was like a 60 something yard attempt.  Tough decision on what to do.  I would have liked to see what McDermit would have done. 

House was having a great day and I would have loved to see him hit it.

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

No I wouldn’t.

The guy clearly conceded the kick off for a touchback. That would’ve been the most ridiculous(and cheap) playoff call in the history of the sport.

Yeah but the rule clearly says.

Agree with @Doc.  You can’t say well that’s what the rule book says even though it’s ticky tack on the ford play and then say common sense on the touchback.  It’s ticky tack but that’s the rule. It’s a TD. 

note I think neither should have been called.  And would consider it consistent and evening out if they had been treated the same way. It’s an annoying when two similar situations don’t get treated the same and they both hurt us. 

• Like (+1) 3

With Houston being at home and trailing 13-0 at halftime to the unwanted Buffalo Bills.....................

If that was Andre Roberts doing that in the end zone..................

How would that have turned out and how would you feel if Houston got a gift TD out of it?

15 minutes ago, njbuff said:

With Houston being at home and trailing 13-0 at halftime to the unwanted Buffalo Bills.....................

If that was Andre Roberts doing that in the end zone..................

How would that have turned out and how would you feel if Houston got a gift TD out of it?

I would have felt that OUR idiot cost us points, and possibly the game. Very simple. 

If you want to play the game, know the rules. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I would have felt that OUR idiot cost us points, and possibly the game. Very simple. 

If you want to play the game, know the rules. 

If this happened to Roberts in the game, you would be losing your mind like the rest of us. ?

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Are people really arguing the refs are a big reason the Bills lost the game?

I wouldn't say that.

I would say the Bills left an awful lot of plays on the field to lose the game.

5 minutes ago, njbuff said:

If this happened to Roberts in the game, you would be losing your mind like the rest of us. ?

BECAUSE...............”I would have felt that OUR idiot cost us points, and possibly the game. Very simple.” 

It’s over. One important lesson I’ve learned in life if not to obsess over the things you cannot change. Move on. It’s for the best. Learn and get better. 

Edited by Augie

18 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Are people really arguing the refs are a big reason the Bills lost the game?

Depends on whether you want to be consistent with the letter of the rule versus the spirit and not conveniently choose one and then the other.  If you want to be consistent with the letter, then yes, negating a TD was a big reason they lost. 

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Exactly, in order to be a blindside block the player actually has to be blindsided. Not only was this block not egregious but the block itself was mild. The rule is just as stupid as the Tuck rule.

The attention of the defensive player is not actually addressed in the rule, though.

54 minutes ago, njbuff said:

If this happened to Roberts in the game, you would be losing your mind like the rest of us. 

I would totally blame Roberts and want him cut for not following the very simple and clear rules of kick returning and downing the football.

7 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

No I wouldn’t.

The guy clearly conceded the kick off for a touchback. That would’ve been the most ridiculous(and cheap) playoff call in the history of the sport.

“The letter of the rule is clear! Stop complaining!”

”My God...forget the rule and what the official called on the field, let’s unpack the player’s emotional baggage and figure out his intentions!”.

The NFL ought to get Dr. Phil in the booth. 

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

No I wouldn’t.

Jim Marshall meant to run the other way. It was still a score for the other team. Get over it, play by the rules. Intention has nothing to do with it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Exactly, in order to be a blindside block the player actually has to be blindsided. Not only was this block not egregious but the block itself was mild. The rule is just as stupid as the Tuck rule.

The rule has nothing to do with whether the player sees it or not. You can't block towards your own endzone. 

• 11 months later...
On 4/11/2020 at 6:33 PM, Inigo Montoya said:

My take on that game was that the Bills and the Texans were teams with that were pretty evenly matched talent wise.  The game was going to be a coin toss from the start.  Looking at the game there were multiple factors that swung the game to the Texans.  Every bad call in the game went against the Bills.  Change a single one of those bad calls and the Bills win. Here are the refs "Greatest Hits" of the game.  There wasn't a single bad call against the Texans.  I'm not claiming there was a conspiracy by the refs,  just horrendous officiating.

Before everyone starts the what about Allen, what about Daboll, what about the second half defense arguments, if anyone of these calls goes the other way, the Bills win the game.  Once again, not saying there was a conspiracy,  just the the Bills had four horrible calls go against them in the game, each one a critical call that screwed the Bills and had a clear effect on the outcome of the game. 

The first bad call was the officials disregarding the letter of the rule to apply "common sense" to the touch back / non touch back at the beginning of the second half.   It reminds me of all those plays where the showboating player drops the ball at the one yard line when he starts to celebrate  his TD too early and the officials just give him the TD anyways because he meant to score a TD.  Wait a minute...  It's the first time since I've been watching football for decades that I have ever seen an officiating crew decide to ignore a rule as written because the player didn't mean to violate the rule.  Watch for yourself, the player moves backwards with his arms at waste level behind him.  That is apparently the new signal for a touch back in the NFL.   Does anyone think that if he had instead run the ball out of the end zone on that play the ref would have called a penalty on him?  The end zone official, the one 10 feet from the player ruled that he never gave himself up.  The video shows the play and goes in to detail on the touch back rule and how it was ignored in this instance.

The second bad call is the non call delay of game on the 3rd and 18 in overtime that the Texans end up converting...  https://larrybrownsports.com/football/referees-miss-delay-of-game-penalty-texans/531492  The link discusses this in greater detail.

delay.jpg.17e92bebab53f0ebe0c45bced9e87ecf.jpg

The third bad call is Zach Cunningham's egregious helmet to helmet on Josh Allen in OT.  That missed call would have put the Bills inside the Texans 30 with a 1st down...

The fourth bad call, and the grand daddy of them all, was the "illegal crack back / blindside block by Cody Ford.   Unlike the second half kick off non-touch back where the refs intuit the intent of the player, here the officials decide to apply the literal interpretation of the rule meticulously even though this is clearly not the type of "blind side" hit the rule was written to prevent.  If this is a "blind side" hit then there is one of these "blind side' hits on just about every running play in the game.  Here is a link to a video that shows the play from every angle.  There is also the cross field angle which truly shows just how horrible the call was.  I recommend watching the entire video or you can just fast forward to the 1:30 mark to see the cross field angle.  I guess Ford was just supposed to stand there an let the DE run past him to tackle Allen..  It still makes me sick.  This would play have put the bills in field goal range in OT again.

Here's my thread on the BS penalty calls in the wildcard game.

On 4/11/2020 at 9:47 PM, Inigo Montoya said:

Give me a break ScottLaw.  Watch the video.  Ford blocks him face to face, Josh Allen is maybe two yards away from the defender, the defender is still actively in the play trying to tackle the QB,  Ford does't de-cleat the defender or hammer him.  It's a horrendous call.  Period.  If Ford's block is a penalty then there is a personal foul on every other running play that goes around the edge.

And if you want to play the, "just read the  ***** rules" game,  just go ahead and read the rule on giving yourself up when receiving a kickoff, and then tell me why that wasn't a Bills touchdown to start the second half. 

I don't know how you can possibly defend that penalty call on Ford.  It makes sense that you would though, all you do here is troll.   I bet you have six fingers on your right hand...

six.jpg.31eb17258a82920d6ae09f4b24d53ed4.jpg

ScottLaw's Hand

It was ScottLaw arguing that the Ford block was a penalty.........?

INCONCEIVABLE!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Puh-leeze.

What swung that game was that the Bills were pretty bad in the second half.

And that play on the kickoff was one of the rare, unusual and welcome cases when the NFL did the right thing even though they had to break the rules to do it. They followed the spirit of the game. It was fine. If they had not done that football fandom would have spent the next 50 years talking about how the Bills got a BS touchdown and the Texans, though the interpretation of the rules was correct, were ripped off. And they'd have been right. If we'd wanted to score on that drive, we should have earned it by going down and scoring.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 7
  • Dislike 2

34 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Puh-leeze.

And that play on the kickoff was one of the rare, unusual and welcome cases when the NFL did the right thing even though they had to break the rules to do it. They followed the spirit of the game. It was fine. If they had not done that football fandom would have spent the next 50 years talking about how the Bills got a BS touchdown and the Texans, though the interpretation of the rules was correct, were ripped off. And they'd have been right. If we'd wanted to score on that drive, we should have earned it by going down and scoring.

So you admit the NFL strayed from standard operating procedure to take something away from Buffalo? 

Best quality in an officiating body is consistency, which by your own admission they blatantly strayed from.

I'm sure every helmet to helmet hit, low hit on a QB etc. Isn't intentional but the rules are the rules.

Call it by the book and officiating is easy.

• Like (+1) 5

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Puh-leeze.

There was not one single post-snap penalty called on Houston all game despite the fact that Jerry Hughes was held repeatedly (just one example). And it was basically a five-quarter game. 

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

There was not one single post-snap penalty called on Houston all game despite the fact that Jerry Hughes was held repeatedly (just one example). And it was basically a five-quarter game. 

The Bills blew a 16 point lead and lost the game because they lost their urgency on offense in the second half.     Not because of officiating.   They had the Texans on their heels but once Houston realized they didn't have to worry about the Bills scoring again and had plenty of time to run the ball at the Bills soft interior DL the Bills were in trouble.

I was actually surprised they managed to keep the score tied in regulation as poorly as they played.

They played a similar style early this past season until it cost them the Arizona game...........after that they stopped taking their foot off the pedal and were rewarded for their aggression.   

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills blew a 16 point lead and lost the game because they lost their urgency on offense in the second half.     Not because of officiating.   They had the Texans on their heels but once Houston realized they didn't have to worry about the Bills scoring again and had plenty of time to run the ball at the Bills soft interior DL the Bills were in trouble.

I was actually surprised they managed to keep the score tied in regulation as poorly as they played.

They played a similar style early this past season until it cost them the Arizona game...........after that they stopped taking their foot off the pedal and were rewarded for their aggression.   

Do you think the bills would had lost if the refs would’ve kept the points on the board from the kickoff?  

If the penalty wasn’t called on Ford, we would’ve had an opportunity to win the game.  Regardless of if he would’ve made of missed the FG (or if we would’ve gone for it on 4th), he Haus was having himself a good day in a dome.   Taking opportunities away from teams due to fraudulent penalties can always be a reason a team lost. It’s never THE reason a team lost, there are usually several reasons that a team loses.  Blaming it on one thing is nonsense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2