Interesting Player Starting to Slide

6 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Why do they need to upgrade Beasley with their premium draft asset in 2020?

Beasley will be fine in 2020..

I know you are entitled to your opinion, but it’s SB or bust in 2020 I would prefer they spend the pick in a bigger need..

I would love to win the SB this year. But the bust part?? Doesn't that mean we tear the whole team down and start over from scratch?? I feel like we have a three year window with us having the 5th year option on Allen to still go for the Lombardi.

Also if we draft smart like Shenault or Dugger or whatever position and hit on our draft picks. We then could lose a player that is starting now. Replace him with capable, younger, and cheaper player that is under a rookie contract. 

I agree the best window is with your QB under his rookie contract. But its definitely not the end of contention if your drafting BPA not reaching for assumed needs. 

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Wait what?

Our second round pick is going to boot 3 different individuals players off the roster? In 3 different roles? Even if he moves up to WR 4, you know we would still carry more receivers than that right? 

I also feel like Shenault would make those three players ( Duke, McKenzie, and Roberts) expandable. We certainly would carry more than 4 wrs still (probably some kick coverage/development guys). Or even keep a couple of them. But he does offer versatility.

Im not sure about his injury history but maybe that he ran the ball in the Wildcat so much attributed to that. Especially down on the goal line and short yardage. I would hope we wouldn't ask that of him here.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, ChattanoogaBills said:

I would love to win the SB this year. But the bust part?? Doesn't that mean we tear the whole team down and start over from scratch?? I feel like we have a three year window with us having the 5th year option on Allen to still go for the Lombardi.

Also if we draft smart like Shenault or Dugger or whatever position and hit on our draft picks. We then could lose a player that is starting now. Replace him with capable, younger, and cheaper player that is under a rookie contract. 

I agree the best window is with your QB under his rookie contract. But its definitely not the end of contention if your drafting BPA not reaching for assumed needs. 

My referral to “ bust” is that they should be pulling out all stops to win it all in 2020 and that means using your top remaining  pick left  on someone that can contribute straight away...

Doesn’t mean that the window still  won’t be there in 2021 as well, and I would expect  Beane to have the same mind set then perhaps flipping his No 1 pick for another big name contributor rather than rolling the dice on an unproven rookie..

55 minutes ago, ChattanoogaBills said:

But its definitely not the end of contention if your drafting BPA not reaching for assumed needs. 

The problem with hypothetical discussions like this topic is that we have no idea what the remaining players on the board will be at 54 so we don’t know whether the player concerned is BPA or not..

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

My referral to “ bust” is that they should be pulling out all stops to win it all in 2020 and that means using your top remaining  pick left  on someone that can contribute straight away...

Doesn’t mean that the window still  won’t be there in 2021 as well, and I would expect  Beane to have the same mind set then perhaps flipping his No 1 pick for another big name contributor rather than rolling the dice on an unproven rookie..

You fill needs with FA. The Diggs trade fits that too. With the draft you build the team. The draft is more for the future. If a guy can start right away, great, but that's not what you draft for. You draft to build your talent base. 

They have gone out of their way to point out that their goal is to be consistent for the long term. You don't do that by changing early draft picks to better fit immediate needs.

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Actually I'd be shocked if we don't take a stud RB @ 54 to pair with Singletary. We'll wait till the 3rd round for a wr.....

You're likely to get shocked. Expect BPA

Edited by Thurman#1

5 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

Doubt it RB isn't going to be a big need. The Bills will be passing the ball more.

Personally, I think that RB is the last immediate need on this team. The Bills can sustain an injury to any other position on the roster (except QB and most can’t sustain that). If Singletary goes down the running game goes too and he did miss five games as a rookie. Even if Motor is healthy another RB is going to play 30% of the offensive snaps. The Bills have to add another high end option. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Personally, I think that RB is the last immediate need on this team. The Bills can sustain an injury to any other position on the roster (except QB and most can’t sustain that). If Singletary goes down the running game goes too and he did miss five games as a rookie. Even if Motor is healthy another RB is going to play 30% of the offensive snaps. The Bills have to add another high end option. 

Maybe 3rd or 4th round.

3 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

Maybe 3rd or 4th round.

Why not 2nd? The Bills are going to draft BPA (as they should). It’s entirely possible that BPA in round 2 is one of those 4 or 5 RBs (Swift, Dobbins, Taylor, Edwards-Helaire, Akers). It doesn’t have to be a RB there but it could be a situation of “BPA meets last remaining need.”

The other thing is that RB is the one position that they didn’t address in FA. That tells me that they want another young guy. Everywhere else they tried to add bodies to insulate against having to pick a guy. RB is the only position on the entire roster that they have to pick a guy at. This could obviously change between now and the draft if they add someone like Hyde, Miller or Freeman. As of today though, that’s not the case.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Why not 2nd? The Bills are going to draft BPA (as they should). It’s entirely possible that BPA in round 2 is one of those 4 or 5 RBs (Swift, Dobbins, Taylor, Edwards-Helaire, Akers). It doesn’t have to be a RB there but it could be a situation of “BPA meets last remaining need.”

The other thing is that RB is the one position that they didn’t address in FA. That tells me that they want another young guy. Everywhere else they tried to add bodies to insulate against having to pick a guy. RB is the only position on the entire roster that they have to pick a guy at. This could obviously change between now and the draft if they add someone like Hyde, Miller or Freeman. As of today though, that’s not the case.

I wouldn't hate any of those backs. I still think if one of the edge guys gets there that is the way they should go but I can easily see a situation where one of those backs is BPA at #54.

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If Swift is there when we pick, I will touch myself. He's a beautiful runner.

16 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Lol no need to waste a 2nd rounder on a RB. Many other positions will have players better rates than at RB.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

You fill needs with FA. The Diggs trade fits that too. With the draft you build the team. The draft is more for the future. If a guy can start right away, great, but that's not what you draft for. You draft to build your talent base. 

So they used their No 1 pick for a need (Diggs) .. why couldn’t they do the  same with their No 2 pick?

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

Lol no need to waste a 2nd rounder on a RB. Many other positions will have players better rates than at RB.

My question is why is it a “waste?” What player picked in round 2 is going to have a greater impact on this team, this year? Even if Singletary is healthy another RB is going to touch the ball 8-10 times a game. If Singletary is out that number moves closer to 20. There’s a clear path to playing time for a RB (which there isn’t pretty much anywhere else on the roster).

Additionally, there are likely 5 RBs to come off the board between picks 20 and 60. That’s a situation where need and BPA could come together. It’s entirely possible that the Bills take one of those 5 guys at 54. To be clear, I’m not saying, “the Bills will definitely take a RB at 54.” I’m saying, “it is entirely POSSIBLE to foresee a situation where the Bills go RB at 54.”

If I had to put odds on the position picked in round 2 would probably look like this:

RB +100

S +125 

Edge +150

OT +150
CB +250

WR +250

LB +300

IOL +350

DT +350

TE +450

QB +1200

11 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said: