Interesting Player Starting to Slide

I'm seeing more mocks with Laviska Shenault sliding to the Bills pick in the second round. Interestingly, none of these mocks show us taking him. The last one I saw had Duggar going to Dallas at 51 and Chinn going to the Eagles at 53. Those are two players that the Bills reportedly did some due diligence on and who I also like a lot. The Bills then take Terrell Lewis at 54 and Shenault goes to NO at 55. I'm not feeling Lewis for some reason although I see the potential. Maybe its the injury history but its probably me being turned off by these tall lanky edge rush guys ever since the Maybin disaster.

I take Shenault right here. I cut or trade Andre Roberts and save 1.5 mill in cap. Shenault becomes the kick returner and punt returner. He becomes the back up running back, gadget guy, and sweep guy he most likely bumps McKenzie and Duke Williams off of the roster and becomes our 4th receiver. I'm getting pretty excited about it the more I think about it. It gives us a great combination of youth and vets at the position which we know Beane and Coach would prefer. We also potentially have the best top 4 receivers in the league. Its doubtful that Laviska drops that far but not impossible. With the scenario above does any one else take Shenault there or are other positions too much of a priority and I'm just getting greedy?

Edited by Madd Charlie

2 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

You’re concerned about another guy’s injury history but want Shenault. 

You have a point there. i guess I'm thinking with him not playing full-time he has a chance to heal up and become the two or three the following year

Just now, Madd Charlie said:

You have a point there. i guess I'm thinking with him not playing full-time he has a chance to heal up and become the two or three the following year

I don’t see it with him and I don’t like the value there in the 2nd round. He won’t be an early contributor and unless he learns to play his position he won’t ever be better than a gimmick guy. An oft injured but more versatile McKenzie is what he is right. 

Hard pass for me. If the Bills take him I will hope he develops and proves me wrong though.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Madd Charlie said:

If you expect his ceiling to be a # 2 or #3 next year, he should not be the pick. Our window of opportunity is open and we need to pick a player who will help the team now. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

I don’t see it with him and I don’t like the value there in the 2nd round. He won’t be an early contributor and unless he learns to play his position he won’t ever be better than a gimmick guy. An oft injured but more versatile McKenzie is what he is right. 

Hard pass for me. If the Bills take him I will hope he develops and proves me wrong though.

A lot of people seem to agree with you. People were saying hes the latest baby Julio or whatever before the draft process now hes really losing popularity as a prospect. I guess he did not run well and has injury issues but he looks good on YouTube for sure. He has that it factor that makes me think his best ball may still be ahead of him.

7 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

If you expect his ceiling to be a # 2 or #3 next year, he should not be the pick. Our window of opportunity is open and we need to pick a player who will help the team now. 

Diggs is the one and I'm giving Brown vet respect. I see Brown and Diggs on the outside and Laviska in the slot being a Beasley upgrade. You can call him a two or a strong three i guess. I see your point in needing to play more now and that's where I hesitate. He would be taking over the McKenzie role and he played quite a bit.

Edited by Madd Charlie
  • Like (+1) 1

I would prefer a solid CB/Edge here. But I'm not opposed if Beane makes him a Bill. At 54...I just have questions. Is he healthy? Is Mims on the in rd 3? The draft is an art. So far, nothing leads me to believe that Beane is outwitted by anyone else in the league. I wholeheartedly trust the process

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

I would prefer a solid CB/Edge here. But I'm not opposed if Beane makes him a Bill. At 54...I just have questions. Is he healthy? Is Mims on the in rd 3? The draft is an art. So far, nothing leads me to believe that Beane is outwitted by anyone else in the league. I wholeheartedly trust the process

I think CB is set short-term I'm in the Norman is going to ball out as our number two camp, and we have decent depth. The only way I go CB here is if the Bills feel they need leverage because of the massive contract Tre is about to ask for. I never saw the Panthers pay a CB when Beane was in Carolina but you almost have to keep Tre no matter what. If they don't go ER in the second to me it means they see Darryl Johnson taking a step which would be really cool he has a lot of size and potential and he can play special teams.

Edited by Madd Charlie

Bpa.  If he’s our BPA, grab him.  I’d prefer others, but the more playmakers the better imo.

Diggs, Smoke, Beasley, Shenault, Motor and Knox.  

That’s 6 guys that can really make you pay.

In 2018, we had none, unless you call shady one.  

I like the way Beane has refilled the cupboards after jettisoning Sammy.  It took 2 years and 2 huge misses in KB and Zay (not Beane), but I believe I’m going to be really happy where our playmakers stand after the draft.  

just hope the OL continues to gel and improve.  If our OL performs as it did last year, our season will have the same fate, ending in a loss

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Agree wholeheartedly with this. But if offense is the pick I'd prefer a RB like Taylor , Akers or Dobbins if available. Good WR prospects can be had in later rounds.

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Madd Charlie said:

I'm seeing more mocks with Laviska Shenault sliding to the Bills pick in the second round. Interestingly, none of these mocks show us taking him. The last one I saw had Duggar going to Dallas at 51 and Chinn going to the Eagles at 53. Those are two players that the Bills reportedly did some due diligence on and who I also like a lot. 

If Beane truly likes Duggar or Chinn he will go get one of them.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Agree wholeheartedly with this. But if offense is the pick I'd prefer a RB like Taylor , Akers or Dobbins if available. Good WR prospects can be had in later rounds.

I like those players that your mentioned but I have a theory on the running back thing. Can you really take a running back before the 4th round? My thinking is Singletary could be really, really good. If you take a player in the third or higher everyone sees him as competition or equal and expects him to play. Singeltary develops into a tier one starter and the other guy plays 10-20 percent of the snaps. If that's the case it looks like a wasted pick. I'm thinking the Bills take a bruiser in the 5th to 7th with the expectation that hes strictly a short yardage guy and then bring in a rookie free agent or two to compete.

39 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

He will help the team now. Any player we pick at that spot will not be a full time starter. Shenault fits right into Daboll's offense at McKenzie's spot and he has developmental upside to become a legitimate outside receiver. McKenzie basically is a starter in our offense, just in specific packages. Shenault is stronger and more physical and has better hands than McKenzie. It would be a perfect fit.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

I'm relatively low on Shenault as a prospect, but I'd be perfectly fine with it if he were the pick. I tend to think someone will take him ahead of us though.

I am low on him too. So much so that I think I would be slightly pissed with him at #54. In all likelihood there will be better players on the board. I did say when people here were having him in the conversation at #22 it was absolute crazy talk.