Dan Fouts is out at CBS; replaced by Charles Davis

I always thought Dan Fouts was fine.  Not great.  But didn't bother me.  Took me back to my younger years as an NFL fan.  Air Coryell and the Greatest Show on Turf.  The early 80's Chargers and the Kurt Warner led Rams.  Best passing teams of my lifetime.  

I can't stand Chris Collinsworth and Al Michaels.  They just try and be too fancy.  Its a football game.  Call it as such.  Its not a discertation of Shakespeare.  I think Kevin Harlon is excellent.  Favorite announcer in sports has to be Gus Johnson.  Period.

But Charles Davis does an excellent job as well.

• Like (+1) 2

I actually didn't mind Dan Fouts.  Maybe it's just my admiration of him as a QB that has carried over to the booth, but again, he's not terrible.  Better than Chris Collinsworth.

Never minded him.. i dont really pay attention unless the color guy is unusually  bad.. Namath was annoying , Collingsworth ,.. could care less about Fouts either way .. Just hate him for throwing the TD pass to Ron Smith in THAT  playoff game.. 

Edited by dwight in philly
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I used to mute the tv when he did bills games. And he did a lot of them. I hate to see anyone unemployed but he was really bad. Seemed like he didn’t prepare for the games 

he was a helluva QB though.A super throwing talent. As a broadcaster he was a solid D+

I used to work with a girl with that last name. Jokingly I said is Dan your father she says no her uncle. Pretty cool. I thought he was OK not the worst for sure. Between him and Booger I definitely would pick Booger as the worst.

2 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I actually didn't mind Dan Fouts.  Maybe it's just my admiration of him as a QB that has carried over to the booth, but again, he's not terrible.  Better than Chris Collinsworth.

Now there's a high bar!

There's nothing about Fouts I will miss. He added very little of value. Agree with the comments that he didn't seem to put much effort into it.

• Sad 1

Patriots fans are rejoicing. Apparently, he had some significant anti-Pats bias, which I was never aware of (likely because I have a strong anti-Pats bias myself).

I always liked him. I like most of the guys that usually get criticized - him, Collinsworth, Booger.  I don't have a very high bar for announcing.

I liked Fouts.  Fouts did a good job pointing out flaws in technique at QB and many other spots.  He just didn't do a good enough job of praising good technique as well.  I think Davis is far worse.  Gannon is the guy I really don't like.  He is slow to analyze and rarely gets strategy correct when he even bothers to bring it up.

The Bills have sucked for 18 of the last 20 years.  While the best QB and perhaps best franchise in NFL history relentlessly beat us.  What are the announcers supposed to say?  "Brady to Gronk for another TD. But honestly Brady didn't put enough air under that pass.  He made Gronk move his hands about 6 inches farther than he needed to"

When the Bills win consistency my guess is this board will find the announcers are better.