Dan Fouts is out at CBS; replaced by Charles Davis

28 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I liked Fouts.  Fouts did a good job pointing out flaws in technique at QB and many other spots.  He just didn't do a good enough job of praising good technique as well.  I think Davis is far worse.  Gannon is the guy I really don't like.  He is slow to analyze and rarely gets strategy correct when he even bothers to bring it up.

The Bills have sucked for 18 of the last 20 years.  While the best QB and perhaps best franchise in NFL history relentlessly beat us.  What are the announcers supposed to say?  "Brady to Gronk for another TD. But honestly Brady didn't put enough air under that pass.  He made Gronk move his hands about 6 inches farther than he needed to"

When the Bills win consistency my guess is this board will find the announcers are better.  

This started horrifically and got steadily worse.

Good job. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

What’s amazed me over the last few years is that Fox has a much better stable of announcers that CBS. if only fox would stop with the dark color hues and dancing robots.....

And get rid of their worst color guy off their #1 team. If there is one thing Troy never brings it is color. 

4 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I actually didn't mind Dan Fouts.  Maybe it's just my admiration of him as a QB that has carried over to the booth, but again, he's not terrible.  Better than Chris Collinsworth.

This to me is just freaking insane.

I don’t pay attention to commentators as much as others, but I do have one question: How could anybody get fired before Booger? He is absolutely horrible, so bad I just can’t stand it. If/when I get around to re-watching our last playoff game, it will be on mute. He was almost as bad as the outcome. 

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And get rid of their worst color guy off their #1 team. If there is one thing Troy never brings it is color. 

I agree. No offense to him, but Aikman comes Across as being in a concussed daze. 

i don’t like the no. 1 CBS team much either. I love Romo, but Nantz has always annoyed me. He would rather be announcing the Winter Olympics or golf than football (according to him), and it shows— he’s not nearly as knowledgeable as you would want from a long-time vet announcer. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I agree. No offense to him, but Aikman comes Across as being in a concussed daze. 

i don’t like the no. 1 CBS team much either. I love Romo, but Nantz has always annoyed me. He would rather be announcing the Winter Olympics or golf than football (according to him), and it shows— he’s not nearly as knowledgeable as you would want from a long-time vet announcer. 

Totally agree. 

Romo and Collinsworth are both good colour guys in my opinion but the NBC team has a huge advantage in the play by play stakes with Michaels. Nantz is dull and not knowledgeable. The Fox pair are brutal and then there is ESPN.... whole new level of bad. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

I liked him years ago but now he seems bored. I'd sort of gotten used to analysts being crap, then Romo came along and made it even more noticeable how bad guys like Gannon and Fouts are.

Romo really raised the bar way higher. It makes it hard to tolerate the majority of the other guys after listening to him for a couple of games

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I always thought Dan Fouts was fine.  Not great.  But didn't bother me.  Took me back to my younger years as an NFL fan.  Air Coryell and the Greatest Show on Turf.  The early 80's Chargers and the Kurt Warner led Rams.  Best passing teams of my lifetime.  

I can't stand Chris Collinsworth and Al Michaels.  They just try and be too fancy.  Its a football game.  Call it as such.  Its not a discertation of Shakespeare.  I think Kevin Harlon is excellent.  Favorite announcer in sports has to be Gus Johnson.  Period.

But Charles Davis does an excellent job as well.

Yeah, I agree with you about Fouts; and surprised at the hate for him here!  

And I agree on Collinsworth, but Michaels is okay. Collinsworth sucks.  He is constantly praising the stars, the ones we're all supposed to love, and can't ever seem to go too far in this.  He goes on and and on, heaping mountains of praise on them, as if associating himself with them adds to his reputation.  Not what a good broadcaster should do. Slimy and obsequious.  I'd much rather hear Fouts than him.

Fouts will catch on with another network almost immediately in my estimation.

8 hours ago, TroutDog said:

I liked him when he was younger but he’s been horrific for the last decade or so...maybe longer. 

I seem to remember that he was pretty decent early in his career.  Maybe he just got lazy and started phoning it in.  

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think he did the Ravens game too. I seem to remember Lamar floating a ball over the head of a WR and Fouts saying the WR let him down. Then John brown didn’t get his feet inbounds one a throw from Allen and Fouts says “Allen really needs to make that play” 

The game I watched and realized how bad he was while watching a Denver game last year- he literally got everything wrong for the last 10 minutes of the game. He got players names wrong, did not know rules, and when a play was under review did not acknowledge that it had to be obviously wrong. I am glad he is gone and he was worse to me than Booger.

7 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I liked Fouts.  Fouts did a good job pointing out flaws in technique at QB and many other spots.  He just didn't do a good enough job of praising good technique as well.  I think Davis is far worse.  Gannon is the guy I really don't like.  He is slow to analyze and rarely gets strategy correct when he even bothers to bring it up.

The Bills have sucked for 18 of the last 20 years.  While the best QB and perhaps best franchise in NFL history relentlessly beat us.  What are the announcers supposed to say?  "Brady to Gronk for another TD. But honestly Brady didn't put enough air under that pass.  He made Gronk move his hands about 6 inches farther than he needed to"

When the Bills win consistency my guess is this board will find the announcers are better.  

Why would you defend a guy who was obviously bad at his job that he was let go. He has been there for at least 20 years but the past years he was awful, I do not expect an announcer to praise my team- I expect him to know players, rules, and have some idea of what is going on. You obviously have different standards.

I have hated Dan Fouts since he led the Chargers to a comeback win against the Bills in the 1980 playoffs. He was overrated as a QB. The only reason he was so good is because he always had talented WR's, TE's, and RB's around him (and a good DL).

Edited by The Fiend
  • Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, The Fiend said:

I have hated Dan Fouts since he led the Chargers to a comeback win against the Bills in the 1980 playoffs. He was overrated as a QB. The only reason he was so good is because he always had  talented WR's, TE's, and RB's around him (and a good DL).

Agreed, he’s definitely the most overrated QB I’ve ever seen. Every time he was broadcasting a Bills or Dolphins game he was extremely biased against both teams. And it felt like he had an agenda, especially when it came to the Bills. Had to mute the tv when he was on the booth. Both him and Gannon, I can’t stand either one of them

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Romo has raised the bar so high, guys like Fouts and Booger have to go.  Tasker was/is a train wreck too.  I agree with the comment about Kevin Harland.  Guy's great.  

Edited by Irv

I liked Fouts when he first started as a commentator, but lately he's become annoying and doesn't seem to put much effort in his analysis.

Not that thrilled about Charles Davis though. He's not much of an improvement.

• Like (+1) 1

I saw the headline or however I first heard the news, I look at my wife and said, "Babe, they just fired Dan Fouts!" in the most excited voice ever. Between him and Ian Eagle, I hated hearing them in the booth. I have yelled shut up at my tv a very unhealthy amount when they were announcing games. No personal ill will against Fouts, hopefully he has been smart with his money and/or is able to land a job doing something else if needed!

Reading this thread, I feel like I'm in a minority because I don't care much about the announcers.  Two Bills Drive keeps me up-to-date on the Bills and I don't need Fouts to explain to me who's who or what's going on.  

I do appreciate it when a color commentator goes deep into X's and O's but that's rare and doesn't seem to be what the networks want their color commentators to do.