Brees to be Groomed to Replace Collinsworth at NBC After Retirement

TroutDog

I have to laugh at Collinsworth getting so much hate and Brees getting so much love.

Sure, CC gets stuck on one or two talking points and promotes PFF way too often, but he’s outstanding as a color guy.

We have no idea how well Brees will communicate concepts to the average viewer. I also have a unique brand of dislike for him after the 2011 CBA negotiations when he donned his puppy dog face and claimed “all we want is to play football”. Oh yeah? Well if that’s all you want then take whatever offer the owners are presenting because you get paid millions to play a game and shut up. Either that, or be honest and say what you really want: a deal that maximizes revenue and provided benefits for retired players, etc. Man that pissed me off.

But anyway, back on topic: not every ex player is Tony Romo. Maybe Brees will be stupendous and I’ll look forward to listening to him. Maybe he’ll be a train wreck like Dan Fouts.

• Like (+1) 14

7 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I have to laugh at Collinsworth getting so much hate and Brees getting so much love.

Sure, CC gets stuck on one or two talking points and promotes PFF way too often, but he’s outstanding as a color guy.

We have no idea how well Brees will communicate concepts to the average viewer. I also have a unique brand of dislike for him after the 2011 CBA negotiations when he donned his puppy dog face and claimed “all we want is to play football”. Oh yeah? Well if that’s all you want then take whatever offer the owners are presenting because you get paid millions to play a game and shut up. Either that, or be honest and say what you really want: a deal that maximizes revenue and provided benefits for retired players, etc. Man that pissed me off.

But anyway, back on topic: not every ex player is Tony Romo. Maybe Brees will be stupendous and I’ll look forward to listening to him. Maybe he’ll be a train wreck like Dan Fouts.

Excellent or not, his voice is like nails grating on a chalkboard. I'm sure Brees will be just fine. 

Just now, Bferra13 said:

Excellent or not, his voice is like nails grating on a chalkboard. I'm sure Brees will be just fine. 

Based on what? Have you heard him call a game? Can you think of any former QBs that have been lousy in TV? 

CC’s job isn’t to elucidate in a pleasing baritone; it’s to communicate complicated football concepts in ways most viewers will understand, and he’s excellent at it.

• Like (+1) 2

Not to nitpick but it doesn’t say he’s going to replace collinsworth. It says he will be “groomed to Eventually replace him.” May never happen and if it does could be years. Brees seems like a good fit for tv but he’s never done it and CC is a pro.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Echoed my thoughts. Brees has done enough interviews that left me unimpressed, I fear he isn’t nearly as skilled as Romo. 

CC isn’t that bad and the more “old voices” that leave the booth the more the game because something different than what we grew up on.

Edited by CommonCents

1 minute ago, CommonCents said:

Echoed my thoughts. Brees has done enough interviews that I fear he isn’t nearly as skilled as Romo. 

CC isn’t that bad and the more “old voices” that leave the booth the more the game because something different than what we grew up on.

The patented CC “slide in” next to Al Michaels before the SNF games is hysterical too (at least to me) 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Quoting because news just dropped that Fouts is out ?

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not to nitpick but it doesn’t say he’s going to replace collinsworth. It says he will be “groomed to Eventually replace him.” May never happen and if it does could be years. Brees seems like a good fit for tv but he’s never done it and CC is a pro.

True. I went with what I HOPED will happen ? 

I fixed the title. 

Edited by TroutDog
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Lol Collinsworth "gets stuck on talking points".  That is a little understated, no?  When the game pits the Jags vs. the Falcons the talking point ends up being the greatness of Tom Brady.  It's ridiculous and happens every week.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Lol Collinsworth "gets stuck on talking points".  That is a little understated, no?  When the game pits the Jags vs. the Falcons the talking point ends up being the greatness of Tom Brady.  It's ridiculous and happens every week.

I don’t know that it’s quite that bad, but yeah, it’s one of his weak spots 

4 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

You think that played into NBC’s desires to replace Collinsworth at all?

Do they actually want him replaced? Huh.