A Compilation of Some of Josh's Bad? Throws

2 hours ago, beerme1 said:

I'm not going through all the pages on this thread but just want to say the op showed only bad. Josh is good.  Mojo.

I am advocating for Josh in the court of public opinion.  Cian Fahey is charging Josh with being the most inaccurate QB in the entire league.  The video is his exhibit A and it's half full of plays like those two pictured above.  His "evidence" is a steaming pile of bovine excrement.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

This throw produced a severe reaction in section 228.  A wide open Dawson Knox is severely overthrown (into the wind) which produced many groans and sounds of verbal outrage.  Just a continuation of his deeper throws inaccuracy maybe.  But, thanks to Cian Fahey, I now see that Josh' forearm is crashing down on Chris Wormley's outstretched hand causing the ball to come out too early.  If you watch it in the video, Wormley reacts like he touched a hot stove because it probably hurt more than just a little.

At 87 seconds Josh's forearm Slams into Chris Wormley's arm.jpg

28 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

At 1:11 Ravens' DT (#97?Michael Pierce?)  tips the JA pass and it skips upwards after contact.  Like a poor attempt to block a volleyball spike.  So, Cian Fahey is inaccurate about this one too.

At 71 seconds vs. Ravens.jpg

You know I actually reviewed the video after you posted this. He does not tip the pass whatsoever. The trajectory never changes. I watched it 5 times. This is, as you put it, confirmation bias.

At 1:43 the pass is tipped by Texans" LB (#55? McKinney?) during the OT.  I wonder if Josh is prone to these tips.  A quick high release combined with elite velocity might mean fewer batted balls (which are obvious where the nose of the ball needs to hit something) and more tipped ones.  

At 103 seconds vs. Texans in OT.jpg

21 minutes ago, BigBillsFan said:

You know I actually reviewed the video after you posted this. He does not tip the pass whatsoever. The trajectory never changes. I watched it 5 times. This is, as you put it, confirmation bias.

The path of the ball "skips" due to the contact which was probably on the under side of the ball.  Sorry you can't see it.  The trouble is that it is tough to see the initial trajectory between the release point and contact so it is tough to see the path altered.  At 80+ fps it's just a blur both before and after.  Watch it full speed and there is a hopping effect to the path after it passes the defender.  For some of these a zoomed in endzone shot would be nice.  I think this one is clear.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

At 44 seconds vs. Pats, Butler and Hightower run a twist, Spain tries to pass Hightower off to Morse and take Butler but Hightower has already split the gap.  He gets to within 2 feet of Josh (i.e. in his grill)  with his arm extending up and toward where Josh's arm will be.  I don't actually see the contact because of the camera angle but can we assume it happened based on how Josh's body acted afterward?  We never see his right arm follow through so something stopped it.

At 44 seconds Pats #54 in Josh's Grill.jpg

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

At :49 seconds #42 of the Browns, Karl Joseph, who looked to have been spying on Josh, quickly rushes around the end and leaps to tip the ball.  Once again an altered throw which says nothing about accuracy.   Sorry, it didn't let the photo post.  Fixed, I had to save as a jpeg.

At 49 seconds #42 Browns.jpg

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

1 minute ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

A couple more vs. "Phins and Steelers but I'll stop if that makes some feel better.  Just don't buy what Cian Fahey is trying to sell.  Whatever you might want to measure Josh's accuracy at, it is a higher number than Cian's.

I said earlier in the thread that it looked like some way-off throws (some could have been tipped), miscomms, defensed passes and lack of effort on balls that weren't perfectly thrown but hit the receivers hands.

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

I said earlier in the thread that it looked like some way-off throws (some could have been tipped), miscomms, defensed passes and lack of effort on balls that weren't perfectly thrown but hit the receivers hands.

Question.  How fair (or accurate) is this video compilation as an example of an inherent Josh Allen inaccuracy?  I think 6 to 10 of these clips, apparently hand picked by Cian Fahey, show something other than what he claims.  Sure there are some legit misses mixed in there.  Every QB has them.   I think it's more a case of a reputation becomes a generalization becomes an exaggeration.  Fahey claims to be measuring something that most of his exhibit A video does not support.   Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy work that brings his conclusion into question, imo.  At least he spent the time to gather these up and put them in one 2 minute video which makes it easier to scrutinize.  I wonder what  most of us thought of these plays when we saw them live.  I'd bet we were mostly wrong.  I might try to go back to the gdt's and see who was freaking out.

There were many like ScottLaw saying that they saw a bunch of bad throws compromised by bad mechanics of one kind or another.  So, I decided to start posting these screenshots.   The end.

On 4/12/2020 at 12:29 AM, Mango said:

You are dodging the question and shifting the goal posts. But I think you already know that. 

To answer your question, his stat line dropped from historically great to MVP conversation. 

Again, we should try to get an idea of Josh’s improvements outside of his supporting cast. That isn’t an argument against him actually improving, because he did. It’s not a hard line, and is a worthy point/conversation. 

Maybe the better question is, what’s the increased offensive production with the addition of Diggs, and we get the same Josh Allen? Points, yards, etc? 

I can get behind most of this. He definitely improved and there were some issues with supporting cast. 

I was more just responding to the blanket statement that seemed to come off as, “you’re with Josh or you’re against him”. The offense needs a large leap from a few positions to be mentioned in the conversation of consistantly above average. QB is one of those positions. 

Two areas to judge progress apart from supporting cast are ball security and giving his receivers a shot on deep balls.  Those are almost 100% on him. 

I'd argue he got better on the ints after 1st Pats game but he's got to realize that when he is running with it the D is going after the ball because his size and upright style leaves it exposed.  That crazy pitch was beyond reckless.

He started hitting more deep throws late in the year.  Brown vs Steelers, Broncos and Pats, Knox vs. Ravens and Pats, Beasley vs Ravens (dropped.)  Like I said, it's on totally on him to be consistently better in those areas and it will be obvious to all of us if he is or not.

• Like (+1) 2

• 1 month later...

I recently came across the endzone view of the throw at :37.  The takeaway for me is this.  Every time that someone is all worked up about some errant throw that Josh makes and wants to crap all over his accuracy, consider taking a closer look.  His reputation is often the only explanation that some will ever need and they are not inclined to search any further.  I suspect Josh's throws may be more velnerable toward tips like this.  His arm strength means he can wait a beat longer but it gives the defenders a little more time to step into his throwing lane and try to time the jump.  They are tough to see at normal play speed.

At 37 sec.JPG