A Compilation of Some of Josh's Bad? Throws

On 4/10/2020 at 9:11 PM, ScottLaw said:

His deep ball was atrocious. 

Get that fixed along with taking heat of the check downs.... easier said then done though.

I think Josh focused a lot on his short and intermediate range passing by taking some off of the ball in that range and improving his touch and footwork. While that worked (Josh was way more accurate in his short and intermediate passing) I think it threw off the calibration of his longer range throws. My hope is Josh continues to polish up that short and mid-range game of his but that he rediscovers the touch and calibration on his deep ball. Because in 2018 he was much more accurate on his deep ball. 

On 4/12/2020 at 11:53 AM, GunnerBill said:

Agree with this. I don't think Allen will ever be a precision passer. But then nor has Big Ben ever been. He is accurate enough and has won two Superbowls so you don't have to be Brady, Brees, Manning precise to be accurate enough. You can win a Superbowl without a precision passer. 

Allen does throw some head-scratchers (like where the hell were you going with that one) and there is the hero-ball thing that he largely kept a lock on until the playoff game. Other than those random issues, the areas on the field that he struggled hitting the most in both seasons are pretty consistent and are so bad that they skew his aggregate average by a lot.

Allen is going to be Allen. He is not Mahomes, or Breese, or any other QB out there. Overall he is improving, so I don't know if anyone has seen his ceiling yet. I don't think I have as yet, but we will see if we hit a point where the wheels seem to be spinning but he is not getting any better.

The areas he struggles with the most are the deep ball - especially the middle and the short right side of the field. One of several positives that one can take away (if you look at NexGen charts) is that he seems to be chipping away at making progress around most all the intermediate and shorter routes with an exception.

I am not sure why the deep ball was so poor this past year. The deep middle has always been an area he avoids (probably feels the sideline shots are safer bet, easier to read if his receiver only has one guy to beat, and he does not get a lot of practice when the middle opens up. May be that he was just trying to put more touch on the ball so his receivers could run under them, but mostly overshot a lot of those throws.

He struggles hitting the shallow right side of the field both seasons, but last season may have had more to do with how piss-poor our pass blocking was on that side, as Ford had to sub in a lot for an injured Nsekhe. Nsekhe did a decent job in space, but Ford struggled a lot against speed and bull rushers off the right edge. I imagine it made for some interesting throws from Allen trying to side arm the ball around or throw between the arms of DEs in his face.

Capture3.jpg

Edited by WideNine
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/11/2020 at 12:11 AM, ScottLaw said:

His deep ball was atrocious. 

Get that fixed along with taking heat of the check downs.... easier said then done though.

Wasn't his deep ball like one of the best in the nfl his rookie year? My thought is coach put chains on him and drove into his head that he needs to learn possession game and stay away from deepball. I bet this year he puts it all together. 

At :12 sec vs. Redskins, Cole Holcomb with the tip.  

At 12 sec Tip by #55 Cole Holcomb.JPG

On 4/18/2020 at 3:39 PM, BigBillsFan said:

You know I actually reviewed the video after you posted this. He does not tip the pass whatsoever. The trajectory never changes. I watched it 5 times. This is, as you put it, confirmation bias.

Endzone shot of the play.

Pierce Tip Ravens Game.JPG

It's a blur before the deflection and it's a blur after just like pretty much every other tipped ball shown in this thread.  Batted balls are obvious.  They go up or crash to the turf.  Sometimes they get picked.  Tipped/deflected ones are not, especially without a decent angle to view it and without ultra high speed cameras the wobble won't be seen.  Actually, we never even see the laces on these throws which are spinning at ~600 rpm.  

On 4/18/2020 at 4:38 PM, JESSEFEFFER said:

At 44 seconds vs. Pats, Butler and Hightower run a twist, Spain tries to pass Hightower off to Morse and take Butler but Hightower has already split the gap.  He gets to within 2 feet of Josh (i.e. in his grill)  with his arm extending up and toward where Josh's arm will be.  I don't actually see the contact because of the camera angle but can we assume it happened based on how Josh's body acted afterward?  We never see his right arm follow through so something stopped it.

At 44 seconds Pats #54 in Josh's Grill.jpg

At 44 sec, Josh's side arm flick attempt to Beasley runs into Dont'a Hightower's facemask.

Vs Pats Hightower.JPG

Funny but I watched the “catch” game the other day and saw some awfully poor throws by some mobile guy that really sucked.....I think his name was Montana. It could because it was before he had Rice and Taylor and didn’t have anyone but Clarke to throw to so maybe surrounding him with talent eventually helped him. Sound familiar?  Look at his stat line, 3 picks and a god awful bomb that was 7 yards too short...think twice before judging every throw some kid makes. 

Edited by Locomark

What's your point? 

My point is that the errant throw is not the result of an accuracy problem as was implied.  It's the result of an arm slamming into a hard object prior to the release point.

Watch what Hightower does to Morse on the play.  Josh is willing to stand, deliver and take the hit but runs out of time to finish the throwing motion. Nice play by Dont'a Hightower.

Josh accuracy issues is an issue but other things have not been discussed..

Like how long it takes to get used to new wr as a young qb

One of the most if not the most revamped offence in the league. 9 new starters?

A qb being asked all off season to work on short to intermediate passws

No true number 1 WR.. Yes young QB needs one of those.

Balls thrown away..

Now and only after all that should we talk about tipped balls.. An offensive line not always in sync

Then talk about dropped ball ratings... 

And after all that and a qb thats a great student that should grow more..

This isnt excuses.. This is facts.. To be honest im shocked josh did as good as he did.. Everyone around here thinks a QB should be good moment one and screw the variables

I say screw that.. Lets just wait till next year cause im done talking