A Compilation of Some of Josh's Bad? Throws

This is someone's idea of evidence for how inaccurate Josh is.  Some of these are either bad or poorly timed throws, for sure.  The question I have is how many of these were either tipped by a defender at the line or are instances where his arm hit in the middle of the throwing motion?  It is tough to tell for sure as most of the time it's a blur of an arm releasing a blur of a ball going by a blur of a hand or arm.    I think there are at least 6 of them.  

On some of them I remember cursing at Josh for missing such an open receiver.   Anyways, I think this sort of thing happens way more than often than anyone ever notices either live, in the TV replay or in the post game analysis.   You would need a high speed camera zoomed in on the ball to see enough detail to be 100 % sure.  Just looking for some TBD opinions.

Inaccurate Throws?????

:03   Not sure.  The ball seems to skip upward as it passes Steeler DL.

:12   Not sure but the ball enters the wash near Redskin's #91's arm.

:21   Throw needs a low trajectory.  The DL extends his arm out about shoulder high.  I think he got it.

:25   Obvious contact with Josh's forearm during the throw.

:37   Not 100% sure but looks like a tip by the DT as it looked like his fingers flexed backward.

:44   Two Pats defenders in his grill.  Either Josh short armed it or his arm was hit.

:50   Leaping Browns defender in Josh's face.  The ball looks slowed and lacks the normal zip.  I think he got it.

1:11 Can't tell for sure but the ball might have gone between DL's hands.  Looks volleyballed up and wobbly.

1:27 1st quarter vs. Ravens.  I think I gave a wtf at Josh from section 228 at this throw but it looks like Josh's arm and defender's are on a collision course.  Defender's arm looks to take a           post collision dip.

1:49 Cody Ford is waltzed backwards like Ginger Rodgers and kicks the shin of Josh's plant foot in the middle of the throw.

Confrimation Bias  (or confirmatory bias) is a tendency to search for or interpret information in a way that confirms one's preconceptions, leading to statistical errors.

“Give a man a reputation as an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon.”

Mark Twain

Looked like a combination of really way off throws, miscommunications, passes being defensed, and receivers failing to make a play on an imperfectly thrown ball that hit them in the hands.

I don't know if it was the same video but I saw a similar video a while ago and noticed how about a third of the "inaccurate passes" were simply straight up drops by the receivers.  Most of the rest was your usual mix of tight windows, well defended plays, contact/pressure in his face.

Definitely confirmation bias to rationalize him being "bad" from someone salty about being either a Bills fan who didn't get "the right Josh", or a fan of another team who had wanted to land Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Cian Fahey is literally the last person I would listen to when it comes to any kind of player evaluation. 

He’s simply the worst. 

It was a video I came across on Twitter and I did not know who made it.  Was it his?  It struck me that a good portion of those errant throws weren't about his accuracy at all.

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

I get the OP's point, but........................

Why is Josh Allen the ONLY QB on earth who has EVERY throw scrutinized?

Perhaps you are being sarcastic, but in case you aren't I think it is pretty common for fans to scrutinize their QB's before they are established as a franchise QB. It's also common to be divided on these QB's.

But one thing is for certain, if you are known widely as an inacurate QB, it's practically impossible to shake that stigma. Kind of like being labelled injury prone. You can go three seasons without injury and people will still say that. It will take an incredible season and multiple playoff wins for people to stop labelling Allen as inacurate.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

He made some bad throws, sure.

He was also a Top 10 qb in accuracy on intermediate throws.  

And his short passing was at 72%. 

You do realize that 72% on short passes he's still 28th in the league right? 28th out of 29 is not very good.

Edit... I just realized Brees throws 72% or higher the last 3 seasons in a row for all of his passes.

Edited by BigBillsFan
  • Thank you (+1) 3

8 hours ago, njbuff said:

I get the OP's point, but........................

Why is Josh Allen the ONLY QB on earth who has EVERY throw scrutinized?

You’re not serious are you?  Tom Freaking Brady just switched teams And got talked about being washed up.  It’s the nature of the position.

And Allen gets criticized because he has never been above 60% (which is basically a benchmark for average ) on any level ever.  Despite no incompletion ever being Allen’s fault according to some on this board, he needs to get better. Flat out.  They have a top 5 trio so hopefully the excuses are finally done for the highest drafted qb in franchise history.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, BigBillsFan said:

You do realize that 72% on short passes he's still 28th in the league right? 28th out of 29 is not very good.

Edit... I just realized Brees throws 72% or higher the last 3 seasons in a row for all of his passes.

What is the short passing percentage of the leader? I can't find the list. I see an article that has Drew Brees listed as #2 in 2018 with a 73.8% accuracy on short passes. 

Without context, blasting Josh Allen for being 28th in short passing accuracy is meaningless if the #2 is 1.3% more accurate. 

• Like (+1) 2

Mostly inaccurate throws, but I noticed that he wasn’t stepping into those throws- and was short arming most of them...when he side arms the throws you notice they tend to sail high...

Clean up the mechanics and more consistency will follow imo...

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

You could have made this same video or worse with any second year QB who has ever played in the NFL . The three biggest reasons that Josh gets so much slack are people who are to lazy to go watch the games go on Twitter and find a bandwagon to hop on just to join the convo, draft "experts" who are going to try to prove they were right about him all along (Josh ending up as top 2 QB in that class not only proves that they did a poor evaluation of Josh, they are also quickly looking pretty wrong about all of their other QB evaluations in that class as well), and last but not least, if you really need some attention for your article or post or whatever, all you have to do is piss Bills fans off by going after the city or one of our players and you will get more attention then you dreamed of. Its not going to stop anytime soon I just hope QB1 is out there lurking and just getting more and more fired up to be the best he can be.

Edited by Madd Charlie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2