Mesh point Josh Allen/ Motor

9 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I don't recall seeing any screens called this past season.  Either Daboll doesn't believe in them (which he should be fired, if this is the case), or as the previous poster pointed out, our offense (line) can't do a good job of executing a screen.  Either way, it's a shame; if we can run a screen like the Pats do, those plays are usually good for close to 10 yards.  Nice play to have in your arsenal.

We don't seem to be very proficient running those screen passes , though I remember one in OT against the Texans that went for a long gain with Singletary.

I think most of the time it's a matter of when to call a screen pass, more than excecution per se.

8 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Not picking up the fifth year option and starting Murphy over Lawson just can’t be explained. Beane and McD predetermined Murphy was the starter and it took 26 games for them to realize Lawson is a much better player. 

#neverchange

45 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Not picking up the fifth year option and starting Murphy over Lawson just can’t be explained. Beane and McD predetermined Murphy was the starter and it took 26 games for them to realize Lawson is a much better player. 

I have no problem at all with them not picking up the 5th year option. Lawson is a better player but he took a while to develop.

4 hours ago, MJS said:

The offense needs to work on not making their QB sneaks so obvious. Everyone in the stadium knows when it's about to happen, and it doesn't seem smart to do it multiple times a game in similar situations.

Seemed like it had a really good success rate regardless. I mean brady and then pats have killed people with it for years and everyone in the stadium and watching from the tv knows it’s coming. 

10 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I don't recall seeing any screens called this past season.  Either Daboll doesn't believe in them (which he should be fired, if this is the case), or as the previous poster pointed out, our offense (line) can't do a good job of executing a screen.  Either way, it's a shame; if we can run a screen like the Pats do, those plays are usually good for close to 10 yards.  Nice play to have in your arsenal.

I've re-watched the Ravens and play-off games this week on NFL Network. In both games there were screen plays that went for big yards, 25+.  They are there, just not a constant like in NE.

10 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

The only one I can recall that actually worked was the one against Houston. Singletary busted a big catch and run on that play. 

But yes I agree, we need to work on the screen game. It's my favorite offensive play to run and when it works it works well. 

1 hour ago, DJB said:

The only one I can recall that actually worked was the one against Houston. Singletary busted a big catch and run on that play. 

But yes I agree, we need to work on the screen game. It's my favorite offensive play to run and when it works it works well. 

In both the Dallas and Pittsburgh games they tried to run a few screens and each time they were blown up, you’ll also notice a few more examples of the mesh point issues. 

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree totally with this. The way to make teams respect our screen game more is to make them respect our passing game as a whole. Once they have backed some guys off the line we will have more room to execute screens. 

This is a little appreciated point. People think that you call screens when your OL is getting beat to slow down the rush, but if your OL is getting beat then the DL have no need to sell out on their pass rush and are rarely fooled. Screens work when your passing game is working and the DL is scrambling to get pressure on the QB, losing some of their discipline in the process.

10 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Agree but Murphy sure saved his best performance for the playoffs.  Dude was a beast, couple sacks, hurries, tackles for loss, blowin up plays.   If he keeps that form next year he and Addison will be nasty on that left side

• Like (+1) 1

Some stats on Singletary as a pass receiver from https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2019&week=100&category=RECEIVING&opp=0&sort=2&qualified=1&sortOrder=0&page=5

He is the 208th leading receiver in the NFL in 2019..

He had 6.7 yards per catch and averaged 16.2 yards per game.

He was targeted 41 times and caught 29 passes for 194 yards

His longest play was 49 yards ....  ...   (If you take out this one play, then he averaged 5.2 yards /completion or 3.6 yards per pass attempted to him.)

His YAC was 193 and total yards was 194.   That suggests that he didn't get a lot of passes far down the field and a lot of them were caught behind the LOS.  I don't remember him serving as a hot read for the QB and my impression was that most of his passes were out on the flat as a type of running play.   I don't remember him lining up as a WR to go out on a downfield pattern.

I didn't watch most of the games, so I would welcome comments.

1 hour ago, billvernsays said:

In both the Dallas and Pittsburgh games they tried to run a few screens and each time they were blown up, you’ll also notice a few more examples of the mesh point issues. 

No question execution on our screens was terrible 

12 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Allen and Singletary need to be more effective in the screen game too. If they are...watch out...

I wouldn't mind seeing a little more delayed release from back field. With Brown and Diggs drawing eyes down field I would like to think the dump off to the Motor(and Beasley) is going to be effective.

12 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Since Ethan is best elevator in state of Oregon is shows why no team in Oregon - not enough talent!

Of course OUR defense has absolutely nothing to do with OUR offense's ability to run a screen except defense is team they practice against.

5 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Good observation. I do think that part of the answer is reps, reps, and more reps.

The other part of it will come when both players are more comfortable reading their keys. 

NFLPA answer is less reps, less reps and even less reps for more pay.  

The current COVID situation is perfect for them if (1) Players get paid even if they do not play and (2) All incentives are paid since all players would have hit all incentives if not for COVID-19.

We should rename COVID-19 virus NFLPA-2020.