Kickers in the draft

2 hours ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

I went to the practices in person and watched these two kick the ball.... it wasn’t even close.

Tyler Bass was far superior. Dude was making 50 yard FGs with ease. Potentially could hit 60-65 yds.

Im a UGA guy, but Blankenship looked like a HS kicker next to Bass. His range looked around 35-40 yds. Anything past that it just didn’t look like the power was there. Where with Bass a 45 yarder looked like a chip shot. 

Blankenship will not be drafted. I don’t even see him making a team next year. Bass will be Draft I’d say rd 6?

If that’s the case, then let’s draft that mamma jamma!

3 hours ago, CapeBreton said:

I believe Rodrigo Blankenship is the number one rated kicker in the draft. Tyler Bass also looked good at Senior Bowl week. 

I’d rather spend a late draft pick on a punter (Braden Mann) instead of kicker.

I think we can squeeze 1 more good year out of Hauschka but I have zero faith in Bozo and I'd take a high school punter over him.

• Like (+1) 1

it's kind of suprising kickers dont get drafted higher. look at the bears, vikings and bucs for how long and think what could have been if they had a kicker?  meanwhile the pats manage to go from one hall of famer to another. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

There are very few roster spots remaining for rookies.  The only actual absolute roster need at this point is a #2 RB.  I would argue Edge is a far greater issue and they should draft at least two pass rushers  After that, this is the year to take some flyers on a Punter, PK, and another QB.  It would take a really impressive training camp for me to move on from Hauschka. He was great down the stretch.  I'm ready to move on to a new punter.  Lastly, I would carry three QBs this year(preferably by cutting DiMarco).

34 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

There are very few roster spots remaining for rookies.  The only actual absolute roster need at this point is a #2 RB.  I would argue Edge is a far greater issue and they should draft at least two pass rushers  After that, this is the year to take some flyers on a Punter, PK, and another QB.  It would take a really impressive training camp for me to move on from Hauschka. He was great down the stretch.  I'm ready to move on to a new punter.  Lastly, I would carry three QBs this year(preferably by cutting DiMarco).

I don’t think Barkley gets picked up if we cut him. Could probably hire him as a coach and sign him to the active roster if Allen gets injured and we want to carry a developmental QB

Kickers are a weird science. Most of the best ones aren’t even drafted. I don’t know if it puts undue pressure on a guy, but it’s a strange science. Now punters on the other hand are a bit different. Teams who have drafted punters the last few years have gotten their money’s worth...I’d be down with the Mann idea. Obviously you can find punters as UDFA as well. I’m guessing Mann goes in the 5th? I’d be good with Michael Turk as well. He’s only a redshirt sophomore so I think there is a lot of improvement to be had and I think bloodlines are important in situations like this. Turk’s bigger, stronger body is probably ideal for kicking outdoors in Buffalo.  

Just to add, Braden Mann and Michael Turk both  ran a faster 40 than Preston Brown. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

6 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Been watching some old playoff games on YouTube and remembering all the best teams had good dependable kickers... which we no longer have. Anybody worth a late round pick in the draft? I'm finally ready to move on from Hausch$

We could use a punter

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

it's kind of suprising kickers dont get drafted higher. look at the bears, vikings and bucs for how long and think what could have been if they had a kicker?  meanwhile the pats manage to go from one hall of famer to another. 

I don't know if Gostkowski is a HOF.  And it's very hard for ST'ers to make it.

And might be time for them to draft one.

8 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Been watching some old playoff games on YouTube and remembering all the best teams had good dependable kickers... which we no longer have. Anybody worth a late round pick in the draft? I'm finally ready to move on from Hausch$

Most guys don't seem to break in right from the draft... they hang around the league for a while... try out or join the practice roster for several teams... until a big break finally comes and they're ready to not perform like a rookie.

Edited by Jamie Mueller

I suppose you always worry about what you pass on when you take a kicker. Hindsight 2020, but when we took Dustin Hopkins we passed on guys like Adam Thielen, Jack Doyle, Jordan Poyer etc. Also Jason Myers and Brandon McManus were UDFA that year, so there is some risk in using a draft pick to take a kicker. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

4 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Well some football people think kickers are not worthy being drafted just like kickers are not worthy of being in hall of fame. 

Personally I think they are short sighted and unwilling to adapt but no one pays for my opinion.

6 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Well some football people think kickers are not worthy being drafted just like kickers are not worthy of being in hall of fame. 

Personally I think they are short sighted and unwilling to adapt but no one pays for my opinion.

its the most important position outside qb.

6 hours ago, Limeaid said:

26 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

its the most important position outside qb.

The draft value just isn’t there early becuase that is how the entire league views it. I think Tampa’s trading up and drafting Roberto Aguayo will forever ruin the chance at highly picked kickers. They drafted him 59 and gave up 74 and 106 to get to him. And some people are upset about we gave up for Diggs. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/244486/why-the-roberto-aguayo-episode-was-entirely-unnecessary

Pretty good article that dives into the idea that there is an extreme randomness to the kickers that make it, even more of a crapshoot than other positions, so basically don’t draft one.

I think they are undervalued, but I’d have to disagree on the second most important position. Its QB, protect the Qb, get to the QB. So QB, LT, edge. Kickers score a ton of points and fantasy etc, but I’m not sure how much they actually contribute to winning a football game. Meaning if you look at AV, which is like baseball’s war stat, it shows that kickers are not that valuable, and that the difference between a hall of fame kicker and an ok one is not much. I’m not married to AV and pff and stuff, actually I don’t really like pff. I just wanted to point out what a lot of the research out there is saying on the topic. The biggest thing is that you have to find the right one, and that isn’t typically through the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

I thought we signed that kicker who was in Car and Minnesota traded for him in 2019 as competition? No need for more at this point unless that guy really screws the pooch. I agree that Bojo's 2019 performance needs to be upgraded. Probably one of the things on Beane's list when he says ST needs to get better. I'm guessing he's going to try and draft a guy for that since little has been done.

25 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

The draft value just isn’t there early becuase that is how the entire league views it. I think Tampa’s trading up and drafting Roberto Aguayo will forever ruin the chance at highly picked kickers. They drafted him 59 and gave up 74 and 106 to get to him. And some people are upset about we gave up for Diggs. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/244486/why-the-roberto-aguayo-episode-was-entirely-unnecessary

Pretty good article that dives into the idea that there is an extreme randomness to the kickers that make it, even more of a crapshoot than other positions, so basically don’t draft one.

I think they are undervalued, but I’d have to disagree on the second most important position. Its QB, protect the Qb, get to the QB. So QB, LT, edge. Kickers score a ton of points and fantasy etc, but I’m not sure how much they actually contribute to winning a football game. Meaning if you look at AV, which is like baseball’s war stat, it shows that kickers are not that valuable, and that the difference between a hall of fame kicker and an ok one is not much. I’m not married to AV and pff and stuff, actually I don’t really like pff. I just wanted to point out what a lot of the research out there is saying on the topic. The biggest thing is that you have to find the right one, and that isn’t typically through the draft. 

tampa had the right idea with roberto but man that guy turned out to be a complete headcase.   kicker is like a goalie in hockey. you dont need the hall of fame one to win it all and one isn't going to take you the whole way but you need a very good one.  esp in the playoffs where points are scarce and the margin of victory is usually very tight. 

8 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I thought we signed that kicker who was in Car and Minnesota traded for him in 2019 as competition? No need for more at this point unless that guy really screws the pooch. I agree that Bojo's 2019 performance needs to be upgraded. Probably one of the things on Beane's list when he says ST needs to get better. I'm guessing he's going to try and draft a guy for that since little has been done.

Kaare Vedvik. I believe he is focusing on punting as he has been awful as a place kicker. The Ravens had him and he was an interesting prospect who kicked really well in preseason. The Ravens traded him to the Vikings for a 5th round pick, and he was so bad they cut him a couple of weeks later. The Jets signed him and he pretty much singlehandedly lost the Bills-Jets game week 1. And they cut him. He’s a guy who seems like he can’t handle the pressure in games. 

This is interesying when talking about the value of kickers: