Pour one out for the XFL. The league is reportedly done.

Another failed amateur football league. The XFL was, by miles, the best of them. There was some talent, solid exposure and interesting rules. I think that without the Coronavirus it would have had a decent chance to see year 2. With the WWE stock crashing though it became difficult. 

I just really wish that I would have bet a parlay that each league would last no more than a year. I would have gotten great odds at the time.

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

Yeah.  I'm not a big fan of mcmahon or the concept of the xfl, but this is sad to see.  Poor employees and players.  It did seem like the league was exceeding expectations, then, boom, poof.

As a washed up football player, it sucks losing another league to try and continue your dream.  The NFL would be better if they had another professional league that could develop players, especially qbs.  I think PJ Walker is better than Matt Barkley and it’s because he got to play in live games. 

1 hour ago, J-GunJoshAllen17 said:

It's weird people in this thread are acting as if the virus had nothing to do with this and it was just a poor decision by Vince.  I thought it had a pretty good chance of surviving before the entire world had to shut down.

Correct. And not only that, how do you know when a XFL season would begin with the NFL possibly running into the Spring of 2021? Would not surprise me to see the XFL revive once the world returns to normal.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The XFL is completely divorced from the WWE as its own entity. So I don't think that the WWE stock was much of an impact. I think Vince just looked at the money he would have to burn through in order to keep the league's infrastructure in place and the possibility of keeping it on TV and passed. Sad as they did a much better job this time around. 

This is too bad, I wanted to see the XFL succeed.  At the very least, it would have become a minor league for the NFL where borderline NFL caliber players could play.  IMO, the NFL needs something like this as college is not doing anything to prep these young guys for the pros and there is no where else for borderline pro players to learn and get better, aside from the practice squads.

I don't believe the XFL was ever in competition with the NFL, otherwise the season would have coincided, which would have been dumb for the XFL to even attempt.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

This is too bad, I wanted to see the XFL succeed.  At the very least, it would have become a minor league for the NFL where borderline NFL caliber players could play.  IMO, the NFL needs something like this as college is not doing anything to prep these young guys for the pros and there is no where else for borderline pro players to learn and get better, aside from the practice squads.

I don't believe the XFL was ever in competition with the NFL, otherwise the season would have coincided, which would have been dumb for the XFL to even attempt.

Division 1 football has been the minor league for over 100 years and it is doing just fine. The league is filled with young studs who came in prepped for the league

AND they have hundreds of schools to chose from with plenty of players

The NFL used to be a 10+ round draft. The talent didn't just disappear. There are dozens and Dozens of UDFAs yearly who are talented enough to play in the league and even stick

The cream always rises to the top in the NFL. The XFL was about trying to make Vince money, it didn't

28 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Division 1 football has been the minor league for over 100 years and it is doing just fine. The league is filled with young studs who came in prepped for the league

AND they have hundreds of schools to chose from with plenty of players

The NFL used to be a 10+ round draft. The talent didn't just disappear. There are dozens and Dozens of UDFAs yearly who are talented enough to play in the league and even stick

The cream always rises to the top in the NFL. The XFL was about trying to make Vince money, it didn't

very very few UDFA make an impact in NFL. All the others their football careers are then over. If they had an outlet to continue to develop they could have a chance. Not a great on but a chance that is now otherwise dead.

Many good NFL players came out of USFL when it folded. And NFL Europe developed a bunch of NFL roster players of which gave Bills Fred Jackson.

Just now, cba fan said:

very very few UDFA make an impact in NFL. All the others their football careers are then over. If they had an outlet to continue to develop they could have a chance. Not a great on but a chance that is now otherwise dead.

Many good NFL players came out of USFL when it folded. And NFL Europe developed a bunch of NFL roster players of which gave Bills Fred Jackson.

Over 30% of the NFL is UDFAs.

And there are still semi pro league's around the USA

Of you are talented enough the NFL will find you

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, DJB said:

I think had Covid not happened XFL could have continued. 

NFL needs a feeder league.  A shame it didnt work out

McMahon supposedly had 3 years of the league funded so it appears he was will to have it he a loss for that long. Officially they are suspending operations so who knows if they won't take another shot in 2021

• Like (+1) 1