Pour one out for the XFL. The league is reportedly done.

1 hour ago, cba fan said:

very very few UDFA make an impact in NFL. All the others their football careers are then over. If they had an outlet to continue to develop they could have a chance. Not a great on but a chance that is now otherwise dead.

Many good NFL players came out of USFL when it folded. And NFL Europe developed a bunch of NFL roster players of which gave Bills Fred Jackson.

The vast majority of these XFL players are worse than UDFAs.   You can not even begin to compare the XFL to the USFL or even NFL Europe!  

The USFL was actual NFL competition- so they signed many star level players - so of course when they folded there were many players that were NFL caliber and ready to start.

NFL Europe was designed by the NFL before the PS and it was filled with NFL players that were young or developing - so again it made sense that many more would come out of that.  

The XFL was filled with guys that were below practice squad level players - it is more comparable to the Old Arena League that would occasionally have a player make it.

The only way an off time league is going to be successful (as the AAF figured out) is if they are associated with the NFLPA and can bring in back-up and PS level players to grow and that they are funded by NFL pockets.  If not the level of players is just not going to be good enough to make a dent.  

There was several good things about an innovative 2nd league, but without NFL support it is not going to be a success.  I enjoyed a few games and love talking about the players, but many of the stars were guys that could not even stick as PS level NFL players.  

Edited by Rochesterfan

This no doubt comes as a surprise to many here.

This was the most obvious outcome.  Fools and their money are soon parted.  It was always doomed.  People stopped watching by week 5.  I bet the networks told MCMahon:”this is a disaster.  We would never buy rights for this. There’s no audience”.

America is completely uninterested in non NFL football.  It’s been proven over and over and over...

I figured this was going to happen, I tried watching it a couple times and I just couldn’t get into it. It’s WWF in football lol. Half the ***** like the WWF felt scripted. All the QBs they had were garbage. I just didn’t see how McMahon or anyone else in that department thought that this could compete with the NFL

12 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I figured this was going to happen, I tried watching it a couple times and I just couldn’t get into it. It’s WWF in football lol. Half the ***** like the WWF felt scripted. All the QBs they had were garbage. I just didn’t see how McMahon or anyone else in that department thought that this could compete with the NFL

I think it was less a question of competing, and more a strategy of riding the NFL's coattails.

6 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The XFL is completely divorced from the WWE as its own entity. So I don't think that the WWE stock was much of an impact. I think Vince just looked at the money he would have to burn through in order to keep the league's infrastructure in place and the possibility of keeping it on TV and passed. Sad as they did a much better job this time around. 

Seriously? You really believe how WWE had no effect on pulling the plug on the XFL? WWE was Vince McMahon's money printing press. It's what made the idea of funding XFL for three years doable.

8 hours ago, Bangarang said:

The NFL is king.

It does have a monopoly, that helps, ?

3 hours ago, Hardhatharry said:

And the NFL holds supreme... Just can't beat the best talent.

Or...or. Hear me out.  They had to postpone /suspend their season because of some little thing going on and with not being able to continue this year...and the uncertainty of “when” large crowds will be able to attend again...and people not having money to blow on entertainment when this blows over for a league that isn’t the premier league...was probably why.  Not “lol rasslin lol xfl lol it sucked” You act like their ratings weren’t decent (for content starved networks as more and more continue to cut the cord) as well as attendance in stadiums. 

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

Late 80s-early 90s...Late 90s

2 hours ago, tcampbell104 said:

when was pro wrestling ever great?

Also early to mid 80's.  I remember Wrestlemania on pay per view, it was not to be missed.  Vince McMahon made a fortune on that and WWF, in general; he struck gold once and should probably be happy about that.

Edited by Happy Gilmore
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1