Would You Attend A Bills Game Without A Covid-19 Vaccine?

Would You Attend A Bills Game Without A Covid-19 Vaccine?  

391 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Attend A Bills Game Without A Covid-19 Vaccine?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe (Depending on developments, seating plan, etc?)

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear, I meant what locality or state.  If it's Buffalo/Erie County that's extremely disappointing to hear.

Cheektowaga. Sams Club was bad also, but again I went there 2 weeks ago. Now I read they have hand washing stations and other changes.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

38 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Um, to the contrary....doctors, public health officials, and so forth knew a huge amount about how HIV/AIDS was transmitted.

They knew you couldn't get it by sitting (or even standing and shout loudly) fully clothed in public.

Now there might have been the occasional act that could cause HIV/AIDS transmission in or about the stadium, but risk to the general ticket holder who kept his bousers truckled....Naaaah.

If the vaccine is about as effective as flu vaccine and perhaps other public health measures catch on (wearing masks in public, say), it won't be a problem.

The difference between a reproduction number of 1.3 in a partially immune population and a reproduction number of 2.0-2.4 in an immunologically naive population is significant

I agree, but people talk like it will be the MMR vaccine - once immunized you will be safe forever.  I think it will be more like the flu where you get benefits from it, but people can still get sick.  Coronavirus already causes common repeat infections like the common cold - it will be interesting (and scary) to see where this goes.

As I said - it wouldn’t necessarily stop me from going, but I understand why it would stop others.  The vaccine is not the thing that would stop me from going or allow me going to a game.  The infection rate and where we are nationally would determine my timing to go.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I agree, but people talk like it will be the MMR vaccine - once immunized you will be safe forever.  I think it will be more like the flu where you get benefits from it, but people can still get sick.  Coronavirus already causes common repeat infections like the common cold - it will be interesting (and scary) to see where this goes.

As I said - it wouldn’t necessarily stop me from going, but I understand why it would stop others.  The vaccine is not the thing that stop me or have me going to a game.  The infection rate and where we are nationally would determine my timing to go.

There are 7 human coronaviruses  - 4 of which are responsible for the common cold.  There isn't a vaccine or proven treatment for any of them.    Coronaviruses are hard nuts to crack.  

On the other hand, I don't think there's ever been so many labs spending so much money looking to solve a particular communicable disease.     

3 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

There is truth to this. Some here are probably too young to know or remember. Early on there was a lot of fear about how one could contract AIDS. Daily life went on before there were vaccines for many things. Ben Carson has stated that about 98% of people who get this Corona v will recover.  It’s an interesting question - would you attend a game?  It’s realistic because it will be most likely be allowed in some areas and not others. 

Ben's a retired neurosurgeon, not an epidemiologist.  He's not an expert.  

But let's say he's right.  If you get this highly contagious disease, there's a 1 chance in 50 you die.  It's a significant enough possibility that I avoid people outside my own immediate family, wash my hands a lot, carry hand sanitizer with me at all times, and wear a mask when going to public places.  

Another concern...  Under normal circumstance, according to the data collected thus far, an infected person will typically infect 2-3 others.  I don't want to inadvertently get someone else sick and potentially kill them.    I'm not going to any games.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

There are 7 human coronaviruses  - 4 of which are responsible for the common cold.  There isn't a vaccine or proven treatment for any of them.    Coronaviruses are hard nuts to crack.  

On the other hand, I don't think there's ever been so many labs spending so much money looking to solve a particular communicable disease.     

The reason there isn't a vaccine for the common cold is that it's just a nuisance, not because coronaviruses are so tough to work with.

All vaccines have side effects.  There's no motivation to develop a vaccine for a seasonal, mild illness with negligible serious morbidity or mortality.

24 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Agreed - the issue then becomes mutations.  

The Coronavirus is tough to get a good handle on and the shape and nature make it that much harder to produce a vaccine that is both effective and provides longer term benefits.  

6 hours ago, Whites Bay said:

Hard Pass.  F No.  My best childhood friend is getting a trach tube today having fought for his life on a vent for two weeks.  Only a true and utter idiot would take this thing lightly, or consider it a "simple flu".  Good luck with that.  I'll send flowers.  Maybe dead ones.

And there's not going to be a vaccine this year anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Now, as for televising games without a crowd, they'll essentially be like the first week of college bowl games in December, when Northeast Central Missouri A&T plays Mount St. Mary's Sisters of the Blind.  The game looks good until they pan away, or get a field level shot.  And then you realize there are 4 people at the 50 yard line, and three of them are the coach's siblings.  But with clever camera work, you don't even know.

If there are no crowds there will be no games.

The NFL is not going to let players take the risk of catching the virus from one another on the playing field or in the locker room.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Agreed - the issue then becomes mutations.  

The Coronavirus is tough to get a good handle on and the shape and nature make it that much harder to produce a vaccine that is both effective and provides longer term benefits. 

Well, I could be shooting from the hip here, but judging by the number of candidate vaccines that have hurried into clinical trials, I'm not sure that's the case at all.  I know I looked at the thing's structure and said "hot diggity dog, what an epitope target!" which seems to be the reaction of my friends still working in industry.  I'd like to hear what your basis is for saying that, but the discussion should probably hop over to the Covid-19 discussion thread.

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, I could be shooting from the hip here, but judging by the number of candidate vaccines that have hurried into clinical trials, I'm not sure that's the case at all.  I know I looked at the thing's structure and said "hot diggity dog, what an epitope target!" which seems to be the reaction of my friends still working in industry.  I'd like to hear what your basis is for saying that, but the discussion should probably hop over to the Covid-19 discussion thread.

Hey! Nothing makes me say “hot diggity dog” more than “an epitode target!”   :)

Edited by Augie

7 hours ago, Leonhart2017 said:

I think I already had it from when I went to Vegas back in January. I had a brutal dry cough and fever for about 4 days even had to miss some school and work. It eventually went away though but it was so random and so brutal it made wonder.

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Leon, that’s called a bender.  Bud I’m just kidding as too easy.  I’m glad you’re ok, and if you did, maybe you had a mild case.  Seriously on Easter weekend, happy you’re ok.

Billsvet, that is through transmission, not airborne.  Not even in the same ballpark.

Haven't you heard? What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, you should be fine!!?

• Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

If there are no crowds there will be no games.

The NFL is not going to let players take the risk of catching the virus from one another on the playing field or in the locker room.

I would be surprised if there isn’t an NFL season. Huge amounts of money to leave on the table. A player strike would shut it down though,  and I guess that’s a possibility. 

12 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Although I was unable to be tested, my symptoms and my doc indicate that I probably had the ‘Rona already, so I’d like to think I’d be good to go whenever the season starts. 

Glad you came through it okay ?

• Like (+1) 1

Id attend a Bill's game right now.  I don't plan on ever gettong a vaccine.

14 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Although I was unable to be tested, my symptoms and my doc indicate that I probably had the ‘Rona already, so I’d like to think I’d be good to go whenever the season starts. 

Glad you came through it. 

I had the Heineken about an hour ago and the Budlight before that.