Would You Attend A Bills Game Without A Covid-19 Vaccine?

Would You Attend A Bills Game Without A Covid-19 Vaccine?  

391 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Attend A Bills Game Without A Covid-19 Vaccine?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe (Depending on developments, seating plan, etc?)

On 4/10/2020 at 8:02 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have, actually.  One of them had about 4 shoppers, all spaced out.

Another had a line to get in, with tape on the ground marking where to stand 6 feet apart.  One shopper came out, another went in.  The checkers were wearing masks and gloves behind plexi barriers.

Where are you shopping were there are "people all over"?

Agreed, there has been a noticeable difference in the amount of shoppers at wegmans the past two week.  The place is pretty empty.  

As far as the Bills games I dropped my season tickets a few years ago.  For the first time in probably 25 years I didn't attend one game last year but went to a couple tailgates and then had my wife pick me up & watched the game at home.  With that being said, me, my son & two of my friends ought season tickets in February.  I can't wait for the season to start & will be there if they allow it.  I don't know, I got mixed feelings on this whole thing & I am interested to see this thing play out.  Not going to go any farther than that since I got warning points last week about bringing in political views.  

I will say if they are not going to allow fans in the stands just cancel the season, or delay the season until it is reasonably safe to allow attendance.  Same with College football.  I know the president of ND said it is not going to work for college to have the games without fans & I agree with that.  

Listening to the doctors and medical "experts" talk about this, I have yet to hear someone suggest a vaccine could realistically be available until at least next year (which in NFL terms means the 2021 season).  Now, it's reasonable that medicine/treatment will be readily available before that point.  Especially if they find currently FDA-approved drugs are effective.  But there is no way the health community is going to approve vaccinating the entire U.S. population without extensive testing on side-effects first.

With that said... It's totally unrealistic that we can all just hide inside for the next 12-18 months, or that our government can keep pumping out stimulus checks to keep the economy stabilized for that period of time.  Over 6 million Americans lost their jobs JUST last month.  We are already looking at a potential great depression, and it's ONLY been 3-4 weeks since we started locking things down.  

So unless you want to say goodbye (possibly permanently) to everything that involves people getting together.... sporting events, concerts, theaters, theme parks, restaurants, bars, etc... then society will need to find ways to adapt with the virus floating around.  

• Like (+1) 2

Pretty sure I already had this in late January.  Started with high fever, cough, night sweats.  Loss of taste and smell, lasted for 2 weeks as well.  Terrible cough it hurt like a mofo

Wish I could get a test to know if already had it officially

On 4/11/2020 at 5:58 PM, fansince88 said:

Same here. Sore throat. Spiked a fever and Bronchitus within hours. Good ole salt water, gse and vitamins brought me through it 

1 hour ago, Negan said:

Pretty sure I already had this in late January.  Started with high fever, cough, night sweats.  Loss of taste and smell, lasted for 2 weeks as well.  Terrible cough it hurt like a mofo

Wish I could get a test to know if already had it officially

On 4/11/2020 at 6:32 PM, purple haze said:

I think I might have had the virus in February.  All the symptoms people describe: fatigue, chills, fever, super congestion and labored breathing, the WORST cough I've ever had.  And it lasted a good 2 weeks.  Cough was so bad I couldn't sleep through the night most nights.  I thought it was the worst flu ever had or maybe pneumonia.  I told my wife I had some type of bionic flu.  She wanted to take me to urgent care a couple different times, but I wouldn't go.  At the time I had never heard of Coronavirus.   

Several co-workers had similar experiences before and after me.  Of course we all missed a few days of work then dragged our asses back in because no one wants to keep missing work.  Dragged being the operative word.  Folks should be very careful about rushing to get back to "normal."  Reports out of South Korea are stating people who recovered from the virus are beginning to test positive again.  

On 4/11/2020 at 7:03 PM, Not at the table Karlos said:

I had something that matched the symptoms at end of january. Dr and hospital refused to allow me on to premises but I was cleared for travel to Vegas from feb 7th to 11th over the phone. 

I would absolutely attend a game today if I could. My uncle passed earlier this week from it after having heart surgery. Sucks but life must go on. 

Just like to put in a PSA for you guys to consider asking to be tested for immunity (as soon as the blood tests are available) and considering donating convalescent plasma if you qualify.  You can call your doctor or local hospital and ask if you can be tested for antibodies so you can donate.

Please also see NIH study thread, and consider requesting to join it.  They are testing blood samples (you get an at-home sample kit) to see how widely the virus has spread.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2020/03/plasma-blood-covid-19-survivors/609007/
https://ccpp19.org/healthcare_providers/index.html

The best epidemiologist estimates I could find are that we're identifying about 10% of the actual cases in the community through RT-PCR testing, and less in areas like NYC where testing is being restricted to the very very sick - basically any location that's running more than 5% positive tests is probably missing a lot of people who have had it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Listening to the doctors and medical "experts" talk about this, I have yet to hear someone suggest a vaccine could realistically be available until at least next year (which in NFL terms means the 2021 season).  Now, it's reasonable that medicine/treatment will be readily available before that point.  Especially if they find currently FDA-approved drugs are effective.  But there is no way the health community is going to approve vaccinating the entire U.S. population without extensive testing on side-effects first.

With that said... It's totally unrealistic that we can all just hide inside for the next 12-18 months, or that our government can keep pumping out stimulus checks to keep the economy stabilized for that period of time.  Over 6 million Americans lost their jobs JUST last month.  We are already looking at a potential great depression, and it's ONLY been 3-4 weeks since we started locking things down.  

So unless you want to say goodbye (possibly permanently) to everything that involves people getting together.... sporting events, concerts, theaters, theme parks, restaurants, bars, etc... then society will need to find ways to adapt with the virus floating around.  

Society will adjust and people will go back to work taking extra precautions and wearing masks, but I don't see mass gatherings at amusement parks or sporing events returning anytime soon. 

I think games will be played in empty stadiums because the idea of having 60,000+ people in a stadium together, elbow to elbow for 3-4 hours seems like an absolutely terrible idea. 

An earlier post mentioned "like any virus, once you get it, you are immune..."  that is ABSOLUTELY not known. The medical community has stated this over and over again.  There is a reason this is called NOVEL Coronavirus. We can assume very little. 

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, promtbr88 said:

An earlier post mentioned "like any virus, once you get it, you are immune..."  that is ABSOLUTELY not known. The medical community has stated this over and over again.  There is a reason this is called NOVEL Coronavirus. We can assume very little. 

It is so early that we don’t know. It’s even possible the virus could go dormant and reactivate. There are lots of unknowns here. 

There has already been some reports about people having passed through quarantine who turn up positive again not long after being released. It's really WAY too early to know anything with any degree of certainty. From society's POV the big threat is a huge number of people dying all at once. The healthcare system is already over burdened.

The risk is just far too unknown at this point. I would imagine that we are talking 3-5 months from now what is going on with this public health issue will be a completely different set of circumstances than what is happening now. Personally for me I am in wait and see mode. If the spread of Covid can be contained enough to where the risks are much more minimal than I would strongly consider going. However if the risks are higher than well I would have reservations about going. 

On 4/11/2020 at 5:08 PM, PetermansRedemption said:

This exact thing happened to me in December. First of all, I rarely ever get sick. I maybe miss one day a year. I never miss more than one day. The sickness in late December knocked me right on my ass. Missed a week of work. Had it for around 7 days including the weekend. Fatigue, chills, fever, and a cough that sounded like bronchitis. Went to urgent care. They tested for strep, it was negative. They didn’t test for the flu but that was my diagnosis. I guess I’ll find out for sure once they can run the antibody test. 

When everyone takes the antibody test the world will be shocked how many people had this and didn't know (asymptomatic)

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just like to put in a PSA for you guys to consider asking to be tested for immunity (as soon as the blood tests are available) and considering donating convalescent plasma if you qualify.  You can call your doctor or local hospital and ask if you can be tested for antibodies so you can donate.

Please also see NIH study thread, and consider requesting to join it.  They are testing blood samples (you get an at-home sample kit) to see how widely the virus has spread.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2020/03/plasma-blood-covid-19-survivors/609007/
https://ccpp19.org/healthcare_providers/index.html

The best epidemiologist estimates I could find are that we're identifying about 10% of the actual cases in the community through RT-PCR testing, and less in areas like NYC where testing is being restricted to the very very sick - basically any location that's running more than 5% positive tests is probably missing a lot of people who have had it.

Thanks my good lady! Im definitely going to look into this. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't understand how we can re-open the economy without massive testing (doubtful that would even work), a vaccine or a cure.  One dude in Westchester County infected a hundred people all by himself.   We'll go right back to massive infections again.  We are in this for the long haul. 

• Like (+1) 2

Living in the UK, means that I don't get to go live to games.

However, the premise still stands, and without a vaccine or proven treatment, I'm in what would be considered a high risk category, and another family member is also.

Even if I was prepared to risk it for myself, I cannot make that decision on behalf of someone else. i.e. Potentially catching something that could be fatal to them.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, NFLBighits said:

It has a death rate of 0.001 I'm definitely not giving my freedom for something so lame but I am I living in shitinois, so I guess I do a little bit. Vaccine oh hell no!

If 1 in 10,000 people who contracted this died do you really think we'd have taken these drastic measures?

6 hours ago, Irv said:

I don't understand how we can re-open the economy without massive testing (doubtful that would even work), a vaccine or a cure.  One dude in Westchester County infected a hundred people all by himself.   We'll go right back to massive infections again.  We are in this for the long haul. 

It's not practical to continue these extreme mitigation measures for over a year until a vaccine is developed.  Luckily, countries in Europe will be our guinea pigs as they're attempting to reopen their economies.

• Like (+1) 3

Go ahead and get it when they do come out with one but it's my say if I get one or if my kid gets one end of story!  Not all vaccines are necessary, unless there's money involved?  How many of you know someone that actually died from it? There giving a mere 35,000 dollars if hospitals label it death from covid19. It's real but also it's something much bigger than a virus, It's about control.  

20 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

If 1 in 10,000 people who contracted this died do you really think we'd have taken these drastic measures?

It's not practical to continue these extreme mitigation measures for over a year until a vaccine is developed.  Luckily, countries in Europe will be our guinea pigs as they're attempting to reopen their economies.

That rate I gave was world-wide.  H1N1 killed alot more people then covid19. So far anyways.