Is there anyone here who sat in the stands at the 1993 playoff game against the Raiders?

njbuff

Was definitely there. I remember all the fans standing as close together as possible and constantly moving. I also remember the restrooms were the warmest place. So many people huddled inside just to steel themselves for a return to their seats. 

14 hours ago, RochesterLifer said:

I was there and the jets game (just as cold) the week before. The beer in our cups turned to slushees.

Me too and it snowed the night before the season ending Jets game and they had no time to shovel.

My heater in my winter beater 78 Chev Impala wasn't working and we had to drive with the windows down to keep it from fogging up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You'll note that the game was not sold out. Not even close. A home playoff game!

The upper corners were empty for the most part but it had to be 95% full?

Edited by The Tomcat

I believe that was the game where half the men’s bathrooms got closed because the lines froze. 
     We were all taking leaks outside, against the walls on the lower concourse.

We had a half keg for our tailgate and we kept it in the car to keep it from freezing.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, RochesterLifer said:

I was there and the jets game (just as cold) the week before. The beer in our cups turned to slushees.

Red solo cups would get donuts of ice around the top and only the alcohol was left???

I have no recollection of that game but remember the KC game well.

I brought a garbage bag filled with old newspapers to keep my feet warm because the only part of me that got too cold during the Jets game was my feet.  

I always came well prepared for cold with stuff like Damart thermals, insulated boots & a ski mask, but my feet still froze at the Jets game, so I brought the bag of papers.  

To be honest, it was so long ago I don't remember how well the bag with papers worked, but I still have all my toes.  

PS:  Since we had back to back weeks of playoff games I decided not to drive both weeks, so after the Raiders game I left my car at the Depew train station & went back to Albany on the train after the 1st game and came back by train the following weekend.  It was different not having my car that week & taking the bus to work.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.

I was there. I remember it being cold. I was young though.

But the coldest game I was ever at was a game against (I believe) the 49ers in the 2000s where it was light rain all game, cold, the Bills sucked, The Lossman came in the game just to do something stupid, and someone stole my beers.

Temperature wise it certainly wasn't the coldest. But it was the coldest I've ever been at the stadium.

Miserable game.

Go BIlls lol.

FAKE EDIT: this one: https://www.footballdb.com/games/boxscore.html?gid=2008113005

Edited by gregor7777

14 hours ago, roboticus said:

Got there about 7:30 to tailgate. Our Beer froze, had to thaw it in the car.  Our propane froze, so we could not grill, tailgate was chips and icy beer.  Dressed like the Michelin man, could barely move.  Worth every minute of it. Lol

Haha..only two Bills game's we did not tailgate  with the Jets being the other!

1 hour ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

The company that I worked for at the time was having a week-long seminar in Boca Raton, Fl. They scheduled my flight for the morning of the game and I arrived in Florida 30 minutes before kickoff. I hustled over to the car rental booth and the guy asked me, “ We only have convertibles left, is that okay?”

As the game began I was cruising down I-95 N with the ragtop down on a Chrysler LeBaron listening to the announcers describe the cold and snow I had left behind just hours before. I remember thinking how strange and surreal life can be at times.

Yeah, but it was an early 90s LeBaron.  Joke's on you.

?

• Haha (+1) 1

Was there was cold, was prepared   but I was not prepared for

Sat in what was then Sec H. Row 2, Aisle 2 Seats 1,2,3,4.  Went for beer just before the game started, put it on the ground by my seat, went for a drink, a layer of ice had formed on the top of the drink, chipped it off and it happened again. annoying, but OK. 

What happened next was the worst, when I went back to get another all the beer dispensers had froze and there was no more beer to be drunk, I did have a flask to keep a little warm and my wife wanted to mix with a little soda, Soda machines also froze. (Note, this was before the plastic bottles and cans we get now,)

It was cold and now it was colder.   Bills won, nothing warms a body like a Bills win or another warm body.

2 hours ago, The Tomcat said:

The upper corners were empty for the most part but it had to be 95% full?

More like 90% actually but yes it was a good turnout for a frigid playoff game. Unfortunately even Bills fans couldn't get it up for playoff games by then. The last two years of the Super Bowl run had blackouts (Houston comeback) or required tickets to be purchased (the rest of them) to avoid being blacked out. Mind you the stadium capacity then was a bit over 80K.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I was there. I can still hear Rich Stadium echoing the chant Shraaaayder Shraaaayder. Every time Jay Schroeder came on the field, his last name would echo through the stadium and he would inevitably throw a pick or fumble or do something bad.

I was in the corner of the endzone where Tasker nearly scored on that kickoff return.  While it was cold, I think I've felt colder at other games where I wasn't mentally prepared for it as that one.

2 minutes ago, turftoe said:

I was there. I can still hear Rich Stadium echoing the chant Shraaaayder Shraaaayder. Every time Jay Schroeder came on the field, his last name would echo through the stadium and he would inevitably throw a pick or fumble or do something bad.

Jeff Hostetler was QBing the Raiders in the 1993 playoff game. 

17 hours ago, roboticus said:

Got there about 7:30 to tailgate. Our Beer froze, had to thaw it in the car.  Our propane froze, so we could not grill, tailgate was chips and icy beer.  Dressed like the Michelin man, could barely move.  Worth every minute of it. Lol

I was there that day and have almost the exact same story!