Is there anyone here who sat in the stands at the 1993 playoff game against the Raiders?

njbuff

Coldest game I ever attended.  Brutal.

Had a beer ball that the line kept freezing up on.  Didn’t need ice for it though....

Dressed as warm as I’ve ever dressed for a game, but it didn’t matter in the upper deck.  Wind just bit right through.

Funny story though.  My buddy smuggled some Kesslers in the game.  Finished it by end of first quarter.  Got up to go the bathroom, stumbled to the stairs.  Stood straight up to balance himself and, put his foot forward and fell.  All I saw was his feet in the air as he went down!  Me and my buddy looked at each other and kept watching for him.  Too dang cold to get up and see if he was still alive.  Finally he stood up and somehow got himself down the stairs.  Must say it still makes me laugh whenever I think about it!

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Wrong game. The game the OP refers to was 2 years later, in 1993. Was a much , much colder day than 51-3 game in Jan 1991. 

Yep.   Here's the weather info.  The '91 game was a balmy 35 degrees, unlike the minus 25 wind chill in '94:

January 16, 1994 (Bills 29, Raiders 23):     https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/us/ny/buffalo/KBUF/date/1994-1-16

January 20, 1991 (Bills 51, Raiders 3):     https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/us/ny/buffalo/KBUF/date/1991-1-20

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 1

That game has a -20 to -25 wind chill.  Had ton hree layers of clothes and my feet were still frozen.  Remember Talley, Biscuit and Bruce coming out for the  pregame in shorts and t-shirts. Had the Raiders gaping in shock. They only stayed out for about a minute before running in and suiting up. 

I watched that game on YouTube a few years ago. A couple things that stuck with me:

Jeff Jaeger looked like he was wearing some type of space apparel under his jersey.

A quote from one of the commentators (McGuire?) during the Bills’ comeback: [paraphrasing] “If there’s one thing that we’ve learned about the Buffalo Bills, it’s that you can never count them out”.

I don't know if this will be behind a paywall for non-subscribers, but here's a good NY Times recap of the game:

https://www.nytimes.com/1994/01/16/sports/pro-football-bills-come-out-of-the-cold-in-second-half-and-triumph.html

Two really interesting points:

"After a halftime tongue-lashing by defensive coordinator Walt Corey, who switched to an eight-man defensive front, and a decision by quarterback Jim Kelly to take control of the offense, the Bills snapped out of their funk and beat the Raiders, 29-23, and set themselves up for another return trip to the Super Bowl."

"The Bills -- whose game today was the coldest ever played at Rich Stadium -- will play host to the American Football Conference championship game next Sunday at 12:30 P.M. against the winner of this Sunday's Houston-Kansas City game."

I did. Froze my a** off but didn't care. Lost my voice for two days. Sat a few rows behind the Raiders bench.  Best moment was I'd wait for it to calm down then me and my crew would call out for Hostetler. He'd turn and we yell "you suck."  He actually walked towards us at one point. Not my best moment but it was one of my best Bills sports memories. 

On 4/9/2020 at 7:58 PM, RochesterLifer said:

I was there and the jets game (just as cold) the week before. The beer in our cups turned to slushees.

I was at both as well though I was too young for beer.  ?  Those were definitely the coldest games I've been to but the worst weather game was a Phoenix Cardinals game a couple years early where it sleeted in sheets that you could see move across the stadium.  You got wet right away so you got cold right away and it never got warmer.  I remember watching half the game covering the right side of my face the shield it from the wind-driven sleet.  Other than falling through ice up to my nipples, that was the coldest I have ever been.

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Like (+1) 1

I had just turned 18 and went to the game with my friend. We sat Raiders side, upper deck and the wind was ice cold. I remember my eyes would water up from the wind, then my eyelashes would freeze to my face when I blinked. The hot bowl of chili after the game never tasted so good. 

• Like (+1) 1

Does anybody remember the 2007 game against the Giants?  I remember it wasn't snowing but more of a slushy rain falling and that was probably the coldest game I can remember sitting at in our stadium(I was at the 8-0 snow game in Cleveland that year too).  That Giants just completely manhandled us.  I don't remember specific plays from the game but from being there in person they were clearly a much more physical team than we were.  They didn't have a good record but that was the year they went on to beat the undefeated Patriots team in the Super Bowl.  Watching them beat Green Bay in the NFC championship game and then beat NE in the Super Bowl I would think back to that miserable day at the stadium where the Giants just beat the s*** out of us.  

• Like (+1) 1

I was there with family and friends. We were well prepared for the game. Dressed in layers, winter boots, expensive gloves and a knit hat with a hood from my sweatshirt over that. Had a great time. Cheering warmed us up also. I was amazed how well Kelly was able to throw in those temperatures! I have fond memories of that game. The bitter cold didn't affect us at all.

yes was  tunnel endzone about 15 rows up and froze  my arse off but was so worth it  ....even   a marino game he hated playing there and fans were like get him a body bag lol .. ok i was screaming that lol p sue me lol ...then went to my bro n laws moms house for pizza that burned me to the liver with  dried hot peppers .....who knew..... so i asked for a "drink " fast hands it to me  i  down it not knowing it a 7 ~n 7 highball ....lol and  yes it was hot .... warmed up quick ..A game and  night ill never forget lmao 

14 hours ago, HavUHerdThaHoard said:

yes was  tunnel endzone about 15 rows up and froze  my arse off but was so worth it  ....even   a marino game he hated playing there and fans were like get him a body bag lol .. ok i was screaming that lol p sue me lol ...then went to my bro n laws moms house for pizza that burned me to the liver with  dried hot peppers .....who knew..... so i asked for a "drink " fast hands it to me  i  down it not knowing it a 7 ~n 7 highball ....lol and  yes it was hot .... warmed up quick ..A game and  night ill never forget lmao 

It sounds like your still drunk from that one! 

• Haha (+1) 1

*         ADMIT ONE       *                                                      
*            BILLS              *                    
*               vs.                 *        
*          RAIDERS           *            
*        01/15/1994       *                    
????????

And no trying to pass that off as your LCD screen cap from your 1990s cell phone, either!  ??

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013