Is there anyone here who sat in the stands at the 1993 playoff game against the Raiders?

njbuff

2 hours ago, RochesterLifer said:

I was there and the jets game (just as cold) the week before. The beer in our cups turned to slushees.

I was at both of the games also.  A guy and his wife from LA had seats beside me.  They left before the first quarter was half over.  People in our row had a good laugh at their expense.  I remember Bruce out there for pregame warm up in a tee shirt. I think it freaked the Raiders out.  Many people at both games were able to smuggle cans of beer into the stadium because of all of the layers of heavy clothing.  I also remember that taking a leak wearing multiple layers was a pain.  Great time and great memories.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, stevewin said:

I'll never forget the feeling  - with a LOT of time still left in the game, where it started to sink in "We're going to the Super Bowl.  We're going to the Super Bowl!"  It was just a continuous buzz in the stands after that - just a big party.  Just crazy.  The joy of the blowout just rolling into the delirium of, holy crap, we're going to the Super Bowl!  It was one of the greatest prolonged joys I've ever had.

Wrong game.  That was the 1990 AFC championship. 

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

That had to be the coldest experience ever sitting in the stands.

It was cold that the padding that I used as a buffer between my azz and the bleacher seats, stuck to my azz.

I can't even count the amounts of layers of clothes I used too.

What was your experience like? If you were there?

I was at home watching that game and I remember it being cold as hell outside.  I think it’s one of those games where you’d see the players breathing because it so frigid.

Great game and I’ll always remember the amazing tackle Steve Tasker made on a Tim Brown punt return.  Then in a great show of sportsmanship, both players shook hands and helped each other up.  Cool moment

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I was in college at the time (UB) and living in Rochester.  That was about the coldest 2-3 week stretch I remember experiencing.  Just day after day of mind-numbing temps with daytime highs in the single digits.  

About 6 of us went to the game.  There was no thought of tailgating.  We had those instant handwarmers for our gloves and boots, but those tapped out by halftime.  Luckily, my friend had a flask, and another friend went to take a leak at halftime, found a $20 on the ground and brought back hot cocoa for all.  

But you could tell the Raiders wanted no part of that game in the 2nd half, once we started coming back from being 11 points down.  The elements, our team, and the crowd were too much for them.

On 4/9/2020 at 8:23 PM, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I recall being plenty chilly in western PA that game—IIRC I would’ve been shoveling snow at halftime to you know, build character ;)

ch890102.gif

I was there.

No lie, when I had to take my one glove off fo some reason in the parking lot, in a matter of less than a minute it hurt and was difficult to move.

The huddled masses made it a bit warmer on the inside of the stadium and plays like Tasker’s kickoff return...well, warmed the heart just enough to make it to all my extremities.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I was there with one of my friends from high school, we were in college at the time.  It was frigid, we had his dad's stadium bags for warmth.  For those who don't know what stadium bags are, they are like these half length sleeping bags that you sat in.  I would be guessing, but I think they were available back in the 60's somewhere in Buffalo, they were old.  I made a bet with my buddy that if Thurman Thomas scored a touchdown, he had to take his shirt off, and keep it off until the kickoff.  I won, he did it.  it was fun to experience.

12 hours ago, njbuff said:

It was cold that the padding that I used as a buffer between my azz and the bleacher seats, stuck to my azz.

I was there. It sucked hard but for watching a playoffs win. I had so many layers on but was still freezing. I was 32 then. I would never put myself through that again. The people here who romanticize sitting in the elements like it's some great advantage are nuts,  and likely so drunk they can't feel the frostbite setting in. Any new Bills stadium has to be covered, for our sake and the players.

My dad & I were there.  The two things I most remember were how cold it was and this play, where Tim Brown scores a long TD.  Some guy a few rows down yelled out "Kelso, you suck, you ash-hole!".  That was quite the memorable game.

13 hours ago, njbuff said:

it was cold...can't believe I used to go to games like this...too old to do that again

Edited by nucci

The company that I worked for at the time was having a week-long seminar in Boca Raton, Fl. They scheduled my flight for the morning of the game and I arrived in Florida 30 minutes before kickoff. I hustled over to the car rental booth and the guy asked me, “ We only have convertibles left, is that okay?”

As the game began I was cruising down I-95 N with the ragtop down on a Chrysler LeBaron listening to the announcers describe the cold and snow I had left behind just hours before. I remember thinking how strange and surreal life can be at times.

I made it to my hotel and watched the rest of the game ( Tasker’s return will always stick out in my mind) before soaking in the last rays of sunshine on the beach.

I was there with my buddy Tom.  I remember having 8 of those heat packs going in.  I had it all figured out.  1 for each hand, 1 for the front of my boots and 2 for behind by ankles on each side.  They were good for 8 hrs and that would get me through the game so I opened them on the 2 beer walk into the stadium.  They were cold before the 1st qtr ended.

Although they brushed off the field, the stands still had snow in them.  We had frozen snow below our feet and I laugh because I brought in a ripped Bud-Dry 12 pack container to stand on for insulation.  It didn't help lol.  We also brought in blankets and remember he and I getting pretty close towards the end of the game as more people left.  I remember the wavy lines the brushes left.  It was so cold you'd go to the smelly warm pissed bathroom because they had heaters and big troughs.  The heat was the main thing, you just tried not to breath too deeply. 

My toes didn't feel better for 2 days.  I seriously thought I might lose a toe during that game.  It would of been worth it!

Edited by The Tomcat