Brandon cooks/4th round pick traded to Texans for pick 57

Cooks is a 1-trick pony, going deep. He's one of the best at it, but he's not a complete WR & is undersized. This make little sense for the Texans, since they already have  Will Fuller who doesn't excel at anything other than going deep. I don't think Houston has the O-Line to feature a gunslinging downfield base offense. Add in Cooks' concusion issues & Fuller's constant injuries, and this has a low chance of success. I expect Watson to take a beating this year.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think he is a terrible coach. I think he is slightly above average. He is a terrible General Manager. 

Your post makes me recall someone else mentioning this same thing a few months back -- O'Brien is a good game planner and strategist, but a horrible GM.  The Hopkins trade certainly demonstrates this.

29 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I mean obviously O’Brien would rather trade out of conference but he’s a moron. He gave 2 1sts, a 2nd and 2 players for Tunsil, Stills, a 4th & 6th. That was within the AFC. The guy’s an idiot and capable of anything. He’s, by miles, the worst GM in football. Just keep calling and wait him out!! 

If they had a guy that I wanted I would leak to a source in the media that said guy criticized O’Brien. I’d make the guy out to be a bad guy. My next phone call would be to O’Brien to see if he wanted to unload this locker room problem.

I'm sure BOB didn't view the Dols as a threat and coveted Tunsil (who turned out to be a Pro Bowler last year, and they're going to have to pay through the nose to keep him).  Meanwhile his team just barely beat the Bills in the playoffs so why would he help them by, say, trading them Hopkins?  Sure he's a moron but he's not so stupid that he doesn't know who his competition is, and if he truly  didn't care who he traded to, Hopkins would be a Bill.  They had more to offer.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'm sure BOB didn't view the Dols as a threat and coveted Tunsil (who turned out to be a Pro Bowler last year, and they're going to have to pay through the nose to keep him).  Meanwhile his team just barely beat the Bills in the playoffs so why would he help them by, say, trading them Hopkins?  Sure he's a moron but he's not so stupid that he doesn't know who his competition is, and if he truly  didn't care who he traded to, Hopkins would be a Bill.  They had more to offer.

You’re giving him way too much credit. He turned around and drafted another OT in the first in 2019. Obviously he’d prefer to not deal with an AFC team. That goes without saying. The point is, that he is on the losing end of every deal that he makes. Even if you make a “lesser” deal with him you probably end up winning it. I’m not saying that there is a deal to be made. I’m saying, shoot for something that you think is unlikely because he has a track record of losing trades. I’m nervous that Miami is going to offer him a couple (or even 3) 1sts for Watson and he’s going to take it. All of a sudden Miami is a force. They would have turned a very good LT into an elite QB essentially. That’s BOB in a nutshell. If he’s handing out free money I’m just saying make the call and see if he will give you some.

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You’re giving him way too much credit. He turned around and drafted another OT in the first in 2019. Obviously he’d prefer to not deal with an AFC team. That goes without saying. The point is, that he is on the losing end of every deal that he makes. Even if you make a “lesser” deal with him you probably end up winning it. I’m not saying that there is a deal to be made. I’m saying, shoot for something that you think is unlikely because he has a track record of losing trades. I’m nervous that Miami is going to offer him a couple (or even 3) 1sts for Watson and he’s going to take it. All of a sudden Miami is a force. They would have turned a very good LT into an elite QB essentially. That’s BOB in a nutshell. If he’s handing out free money I’m just saying make the call and see if he will give you some.

He's not going to be able to trade Watson.  There is no way his owners will let him trade him, period.

And I don't myself giving him credit.  Sure people can be stupid/crazy, but that doesn't mean everything they do is stupid/crazy.  The Bills are a threat to him.  The Dols last year were not and the Cardinals and Rams this year are not.  At best i could see him trading for a Biils player, but I doubt he'd give them a great offer, again because it's his competition. 

1 minute ago, Doc said:

He's not going to be able to trade Watson.  There is no way his owners will let him trade him, period.

And I don't myself giving him credit.  Sure people can be stupid/crazy, but that doesn't mean everything they do is stupid/crazy.  The Bills are a threat to him.  The Dols last year were not and the Cardinals and Rams this year are not.  At best i could see him trading for a Biils player, but I doubt he'd give them a great offer, again because it's his competition. 

That’s where we disagree. So far, every trade that he’s made he has lost IMO. That’s why he is so heavily criticized around the league. Most people win some and lose some. The bad GMs win 30% of the time and lose 70%; the greats are the opposite. BOB is operating with like a 10% win ratio (at best). 

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s where we disagree. So far, every trade that he’s made he has lost IMO. That’s why he is so heavily criticized around the league. Most people win some and lose some. The bad GMs win 30% of the time and lose 70%; the greats are the opposite. BOB is operating with like a 10% win ratio (at best). 

I agree that on every trade he's made, he's lost.  The thing is he's made those trades with teams who aren't a threat to him.

It’s not a bad deal if Cooks didn’t have big injury concerns and they didn’t make that awful Hopkins deal.  Fuller and Cooks are very similar players who can’t stay healthy.  

has any player been traded for more high picks than Cooks?  I believe it’s 2 1sts and a 2nd, all by playoff teams.  Wild. 

4 hours ago, 947 said:

Cooks is a 1-trick pony, going deep. He's one of the best at it, but he's not a complete WR & is undersized. This make little sense for the Texans, since they already have  Will Fuller who doesn't excel at anything other than going deep. I don't think Houston has the O-Line to feature a gunslinging downfield base offense. Add in Cooks' concusion issues & Fuller's constant injuries, and this has a low chance of success. I expect Watson to take a beating this year.

Fuller can't stay healthy granted Cooks has been banged up before (although as much ***** as Cooks gets for being injury prone he played 16 games a season from 2015 to 2018.) I think they feel that they need at least one downfield option to stay healthy for their offense to function. I guess it is a better gamble to just have 2 guys who can do that and hope one can stay on the field. If all 4 can stay healthy (which is unlikely) they could use Fuller as a gadget player which might expand that offense. 

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s not a bad deal if Cooks didn’t have big injury concerns and they didn’t make that awful Hopkins deal.  Fuller and Cooks are very similar players who can’t stay healthy.  

has any player been traded for more high picks than Cooks?  I believe it’s 2 1sts and a 2nd, all by playoff teams.  Wild. 

a first was also traded on draft day to move up to get him in the first by Saints. Ominous future tell.

on a positive note, he may be almost highest value given up ever for a traded player in totality in NFL history. Multiple 1st rounders.+

5 minutes ago, cba fan said:

a first was also traded on draft day to move up to get him in the first by Saints. Ominous future tell.

on a positive note, he may be almost highest value given up ever for a traded player in totality in NFL history. Multiple 1st rounders.+

RGIII would come to mind (2 future firsts and a second along with the 6th pick that was swapped back), also the H.Walker trade was a lot of picks. But Cooks if you count the draft day trade cost teams 3 first round picks (NO trade up, NE pick, and the LA pick) and a 2nd round pick. That's quite the haul if you add it all up. 

9 hours ago, Mr. K said:

Is McVay still a genius?

I thought the same thing. Then I thought Im kinda glad were not Rams fans either. 

The LA Rams problem has been the eroding of the teams core.  They went flashy on defense without depth.  I question the scouting of the Rams.  The good players drafted were selected under Fisher.  Since they went flashy, sure they hit gold with Kupp but that is it.