Brandon cooks/4th round pick traded to Texans for pick 57

41 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

SUPER BOWL!!!!!!!

Yep.........for the BILLS! Let’s ship all that talent out of the AFC. 

Seriously, what is wrong with this guy that everybody wants him, but only briefly. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

When Sean Payton, Bill Belichick, and Sean McVay trade you after just a season or 2, there may be a problem

I think it is more bad circumstances over him being a bad player or malcontent. He was traded from New Orleans after two 1,000 yard seasons to the Pats because the Saints weren't in a position cap wise to retain him. He gets traded from New England after one season (a season in which he had 1,000 yards) because he is on the last year of his deal and the Pats get value for him getting a first round pick. His first year in Los Angeles he has a career high 1,200 receiving yards and gets a big extension. Year two in LA he gets banged up and his production dips well under 1,000 yards and the Rams find themselves in cap hell so they trade him for solid value.

I haven't heard of him being a malcontent or a problem for any coaches. I just think he falls into circumstances where teams weren't able to pay him long term but other teams wanted to give up good picks to trade for him. 

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Independent of the Hopkins trade I like this trade for the Texans. But in totality the two moves clearly leave the team worse than it was before.

It would be one thing if they got a 1st round pick and other picks for Hopkins AND Then made this trade for Cooks. But all they got back for Hopkins was David Johnson on a bad contract, a 2nd round pick and a future 4th. I would much rather have had what the Vikings got for Diggs which still gave them the future 4th and gave them a higher overall pick while not having to take back a bad contract and still adding 2 mid/late round picks. 

This just looks like a classic case of a coach getting in the way of the GM who happens to be the same person. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I hope Beane picks up the phone and at least calls O’Brien. I don’t hate this deal for Houston like some do but the guy is an idiot. I’d just throw some things out there and see if he bites. 

He wouldn't help the Bills.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Yep.........for the BILLS! Let’s ship all that talent out of the AFC. 

Seriously, what is wrong with this guy that everybody wants him, but only briefly. 

Cooks is from my hometown of Stockton, CA.  So always root for him, but I think his big issue is he is too one dimensional.  I feel like he is more of a complimentary piece than a go to weapon.  But his contract suggests he's a #1 and I just don't think he warrants his cap hit.  Then again maybe there is more to it from a personality or locker room side of things, but I don't recall hearing any negative things about him.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

I pry would've just drafted a WR in the 2nd round given it's supposed to be one of the best classes ever at the position and saved six or so million dollars.  Giving away a 2nd rounder for a guy with five concussions and who was phased out of the Rams dynamic offense last year seems risky.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I get that the two trades aren't directly in tandem. But that is what it amounted to on an effective basis. He traded one of the top 5 receivers in the game plus a 4th round pick for a broken down RB on a big contract, a second round pick, and a future 4th round pick. Then trades his other 2nd round pick for Cooks and a 4th round pick. 

Effectively turning his 2nd round pick, 4th round pick and Hopkins into Cooks, David Johnson, pick 43, a 4th round pick and a future 4th. Whereas many GM's have said off the record had they known Hopkins was available they would have traded a package of picks featuring at least a late 1st rounder for him. 

I actually don't hate this trade as the Texans desperately needed a WR and Cooks is a good player. The cost for Cooks even on his contract was reasonable. However BOB is a classic case of why the coach shouldn't be the GM. He let his emotions about a player devalue the player. 

Hopkins is a good receiver.  But he is not unstoppable.  Although I did not like the way Tre White covered him in the second half of our playoff game.  Gave him way too much cushion.  Needed to be in his jock right at the line of scrimmage.  Diggs is faster and more elusive.  Cooks is fast but small and has had his bell rung several times.  He will not be as effective without Woods and Kupp on the field with him.  Everyone on here thinks they are a GM.

Just now, Paup 1995MVP said:

Hopkins is a good receiver.  But he is not unstoppable.  Although I did not like the way Tre White covered him in the second half of our playoff game.  Gave him way too much cushion.  Needed to be in his jock right at the line of scrimmage.  Diggs is faster and more elusive.  Cooks is fast but small and has had his bell rung several times.  He will not be as effective without Woods and Kupp on the field with him.  Everyone on here thinks they are a GM.

It has been reported that other teams were willing to offer a 1st plus other picks for Hopkins had they known he was on the trade market. So even if the Bills liked Diggs more there still would have been other teams willing to offer a similar package to what the Vikings got for Diggs. People use the Diggs comparison because Diggs was traded days later and is the same caliber of player. 

43 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

O’Brien? He’s an idiot, capable of anything. I’m not even sure what I’d want? Mercilus?

He wouldn't trade Hopkins within the conference.  And he hates Brian Gaines.

• Like (+1) 2