Tre & Shady talk about the Vontae Davis retirement

Beane was on the Pat McAfee show back in May and talked about Vontae also.  Was pretty funny for those who didn't see/hear it.

5 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

He wasn't active week one. I think he may have lost some bonus over that

I was paid his bonus and ended up paying it back when he decided to retire.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

From what Beane has said, and what Dontae himself has said, it doesnt seem like there was any axe to grind with the team.

Vontae just realized his body was old, and CB is a tough spot to be old. Cant hide losing a step when youre covering on the outside.

Good of Vontae to return his bonus right away without the team hassling him.

This is just another story in the "Bills being Bills" saga of our lives.

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

From what Beane has said, and what Dontae himself has said, it doesnt seem like there was any axe to grind with the team.

Vontae just realized his body was old, and CB is a tough spot to be old. Cant hide losing a step when youre covering on the outside.

Good of Vontae to return his bonus right away without the team hassling him.

This is just another story in the "Bills being Bills" saga of our lives.

but in the middle of a game though?

16 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I was paid his bonus and ended up paying it back when he decided to retire.

I'm not sure why they paid YOU his bonus (of all people!), but you're a good man for giving it back, Wiz.

• Haha (+1) 3

This is old news, but Davis could have easily made this decision before the season, or at least not during a game.  He was classless, and glad he went away.  We ended up getting better so it was only a temporary setback.  We now have one of the top 2 CB’s in the league, the best safety tandem in the league (not individually, but as an aggregate of the two), and we’ll see how the other shake out this year.  I for one am hopeful Norman comes back to his Panthers form as he was darn good in McD’s scheme back then.  He wasn’t  used well in Washington, and the unknown is his age and has it affected his ability to play.  We’ll find out this year, as Gaines is often hurt so I don’t have high hopes for him.  It really is too bad as when he is healthy, he’s a very good CB.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm not sure why they paid YOU his bonus (of all people!), but you're a good man for giving it back, Wiz.

Yea right, they wouldn't have seen a dime if I had that bonus money. 

Edited by The Wiz
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

This is old news, but Davis could have easily made this decision before the season, or at least not during a game.  He was classless, and glad he went away.  We ended up getting better so it was only a temporary setback.  We now have one of the top 2 CB’s in the league, the best safety tandem in the league (not individually, but as an aggregate of the two), and we’ll see how the other shake out this year.  I for one am hopeful Norman comes back to his Panthers form as he was darn good in McD’s scheme back then.  He wasn’t  used well in Washington, and the unknown is his age and has it affected his ability to play.  We’ll find out this year, as Gaines is often hurt so I don’t have high hopes for him.  It really is too bad as when he is healthy, he’s a very good CB.

I'm with you on this one.

There's no excuse for bailing at halftime unless he's dealing with some sort of mental illness.

All indications are that he's simply an a-hole.

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm with you on this one.

There's no excuse for bailing at halftime unless he's dealing with some sort of mental illness.

All indications are that he's simply an a-hole.

Agree. The moment when you realise it is over a difficult one for a professional athlete. My dad was a pro soccer player (not top level but professional and then the last couple of years of his career a top semi-pro who captained the England semi-pro side) and I remember vividly as a child of about 10 when the moment came for him. It was difficult for him professionally and personally. He had a bit of  Vontae style nightmare away at Wigan in an FA Cup tie and he came off the field that night and knew it was over. But he finished the game out and even said to the manager that while he didn't want to be considered for selection anymore and gave up his contractual right to his salary for the rest of the season that if the team were desperate and short on numbers due to injuries or suspensions the rest of that season he would be on standby. I think he sat on the bench once more after that but didn't come on. 

If Vontae had quit at the end of the Chargers game I would 100% back him to the hilt. Quitting at half time was unforgiveable. That said, in his defence, the fact he didn't argue over his bonus and paid the money back is to his credit. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 4/11/2020 at 9:05 AM, purple haze said:

Exactly.  I was at the game.  Bills were missing Taron Johnson, and Phillip Gaines went out in the first quarter.  Bailing at halftime isn't cool.

I was at the game too. If you remember it was brutally hot and humid that day. I thought at first that his body just straight up couldn't take the elevated temperature and it might have been a physical medical issue.  Come to find out it was none of that it was an issue called lack of Heart. And then he makes a dumbass commercial afterwards mocking it. Guy will forevermore be remembered as a quitter.  "someone pulls a Vontae Davis"  Enjoy your punchline Vontae you earned it.