Tre & Shady talk about the Vontae Davis retirement

22 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

This one will go down as "he said", "she said" between you and me. Both have different recollections of the media narrative, doesnt make either one right or wrong and certainly not to be accused as not paying attention. 

I’m cool with that, largely because you’re from my hometown I assume 

• Haha (+1) 1

It was very much doom and gloom.  The Bills were a mockery.  There was talk of the worst team in the league, or even all-time.  There was real concern for 0-16.  The Bills went to Minny the following week as record-underdogs.  What the Bills then did to the Vikes...well...changed the narrative.

As some have said, I can respect knowing you're at a point where you've lost a step and simply can't compete.  I would have had no qualms with him retiring after the game and saying as much at his presser.  It was the whole "Screw you guys, I'm going home!" act he pulled at halftime that rubbed everyone the wrong way.  It was a slap in the face to the Bills and fans, and made the organization a laughing-stock.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Red King said:

It was very much doom and gloom.  The Bills were a mockery.  There was talk of the worst team in the league, or even all-time.  There was real concern for 0-16.  The Bills went to Minny the following week as record-underdogs.  What the Bills then did to the Vikes...well...changed the narrative.

As some have said, I can respect knowing you're at a point where you've lost a step and simply can't compete.  I would have had no qualms with him retiring after the game and saying as much at his presser.  It was the whole "Screw you guys, I'm going home!" act he pulled at halftime that rubbed everyone the wrong way.  It was a slap in the face to the Bills and fans, and made the organization a laughing-stock.

This is how I remember it as well .... had that Minnesota game gone as, let’s be honest, we all expected?  It would have become worse. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/9/2020 at 10:53 PM, MyDogLuvsPB said:

My own beef with VD is if he knew his heart wasn't in it to play for Buffalo WTF sign?  That doesn't make sense at all!!  Was his family in jeopardy or he himself under some kind of threat?  It's beyond stupid. 

I believe when he got burnt by Ross in that Cin preseason game, he probably had 2nd and 3rd thoughts about the season lol.

22 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm unfamiliar with the third, but I have no problem with Boldin deciding his heart wasn't in it in camp and retiring immediately.

Any situation can be handled properly & Boldin did it the right way if you can call it that i was more booty hurt about him than anything i thought he was going to help the Bills a lot that year but oh well !

Tom C. from the get go just didn't want to be i B/lo & wound up being better for the Bills because he didn't do that much in his career but the Davis thing was wacked & he got in the public opinion what he deserved the guy is flat out a quitter & thats what he'll be remembered most for & if handled a bit differently it could have been totally different legacy for him .

On 4/10/2020 at 4:08 AM, GunnerBill said:

Where I have no sympathy for Vontae and where he absolutely deserved ridicule is retiring half way through a game. That is abandoning your team. Finish the game out, go home, come into the facility with all your gear on Monday and go and knock on the Coach's door and explain it like an adult. What Vontae did was childish and wrong. 

Exactly.  I was at the game.  Bills were missing Taron Johnson, and Phillip Gaines went out in the first quarter.  Bailing at halftime isn't cool.

Edited by purple haze

On 4/11/2020 at 6:59 AM, Fan in Chicago said:

"Unc" Vontae ?

I really have no recollection of such feelings by the fans. In general I recall anti-VD feelings but not much against McBeane

I disagree. 

Trust me, there were fans saying this. Some on this board too, maybe not the overwhelming majority of veteran posters on this board, but the overreaction after that game was a sight to behold.

Yes, it was an ugly loss to the Chargers, and Davis retiring like that was an embarrassment. I think after this game was when the media started the "Bills could lose to Alabama" narrative.

On 4/10/2020 at 11:47 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

Uhhh, theyre all friends and they never even talked any trash. Just told the story exactly as it happened.

My friends and I all have stupid ***** we laugh at each other for doing.

giphy.gif

I remember doom and gloom from the National media and some from locals/fans. Yes the Bama/Clemsons of the world could beat Buffalo, etc. However, there were people who stayed positive too. From a nationwide stand point there were a lot of jokes, but as a fan and person you look at that situation it was just one players bad decision. No one else could have stopped that from happening. The coach did the right thing, didnt he take over play calling from the DC the rest of the game after halftime? 

In my experience, the players,coaches, etc who can handle difficult situations are the ones you want around you. What the team went through early in 2018 made them stronger in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Shady should not be talking. He has quit 2 or 3 yrs ago, but kept getting his paycheck. What Davis did was quit improperly for sure, hurtful to teammates but decisive, Shady just likes money and has no guts. It appears his girl friend needed to be paid off.

• 2 months later...