Grateful Dead

The Real Buffalo Joe

32 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I agree with this as well.  When I stream The Dead channel on Pandora and a JGB song comes on I prefer it. 

I do have a question for you big Dead fans.  I know some of you love the different “versions” of the band over the years since the passing of Jerry from Further to The Dead and Company.  I feel that Jerry was the heart and soul of that band. I joke that they’ve become a glorified cover band. I know that some of you will say “but you love the Allman Brothers and they continued on after the passing of Duane.”  I get that but the ABB didn’t “come back” after Duane was killed. They continued on and continued to write new music and evolve as a band. I know the real hardcore Deadheads will say “who cares the music transcends Jerry” or some other hippy dippy stoner BS ?. For me I think it’s probably more the event than who’s actually playing on stage. 

Thoughts?

No Jerry, no Dead.

8 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I Joe Russo not too long ago, great show. I can't remember what he is calling his band.

Almost Dead

• Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I agree with this as well.  When I stream The Dead channel on Pandora and a JGB song comes on I prefer it. 

I do have a question for you big Dead fans.  I know some of you love the different “versions” of the band over the years since the passing of Jerry from Further to The Dead and Company.  I feel that Jerry was the heart and soul of that band. I joke that they’ve become a glorified cover band. I know that some of you will say “but you love the Allman Brothers and they continued on after the passing of Duane.”  I get that but the ABB didn’t “come back” after Duane was killed. They continued on and continued to write new music and evolve as a band. I know the real hardcore Deadheads will say “who cares the music transcends Jerry” or some other hippy dippy stoner BS ?. For me I think it’s probably more the event than who’s actually playing on stage. 

Thoughts?

When Jerry died they had a memorial at Golden Gate Park and when it was over I was waiting for my gal at the time at the car when Mickey Hart came walking up with one of his kids on his shoulders, he was parked right next to me. We were acquainted because I played Djembe in the GD Mardi Gras and New Year parades over the years with him and Wavy leading the way, in fact we had just played that afternoon in a procession circling the crowd.  I said "Hey Mickey, I just want to say thanx for all the incredible shows and unforgettable times" or something like that. He got all intense and told me "It's not over man, it's Not over". I didn't say anything because I could tell he was pissed but I knew it was over.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

When Kadlecik left Dark Star orchestra and joined Furthur, they were great. This band brought me back into Dead music. BTW their drummer (Joe Russo) was better than the GD drummers and the keyboard player (Jeff Chimenti) was comparable to Brent. Seriously.

They got rid of John and went with Trey Anastasio and sounded horrible imo. Then, they brought in Mayer who has talent, but this is not Grateful Dead music imo.

Bottom line? They went commercial and sold out.

We have a local band in NYC and mostly Long Island called "Half Step" that is very popular and does a good job. I still like to see John K when he comes around.

I saw John Mayer open for the Stones in Philly 2005, and I was not impressed at all. It may be unfair, but I'm not willing to give him a chance, way too many other things to listen to.

I am very impressed though with all the women has had,  Jennifer Aniston FTW. :worthy:

• Like (+1) 1

I have never been a Deadhead.

I did see them in DC at Capital Center in the fall of 1976. They got off to a slow start and the crowd was restless. Then they starting jamming real well and got the crowd going. Everyone was calling for an encore but it felt like GD gave the crowd a FU for the beginning of the show and they did not come back out..
I will say I enjoyed their live show better than their albums. I like jam bands.

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I disagree but that's what makes the world go 'round. :)

Was this in 89? I think that Jerry was at his best in 1989, to include the show at Rich Stadium.

7/4/89 at Rich. They always played well the hometown. Great scene too!

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, gomper said:

7/4/89 at Rich. They always played well the hometown. Great scene too!

I saw them play the Aud on a Saturday night in 1981, with the Stones playing Rich the next day. Quite the drugland weekend! Bills lost to the Bungles in OT though, never saw it.

• Like (+1) 3

21 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I know I'm stepping on some toes here, but I'm honestly asking, not just trying to cause trouble. I can’t be the only person that’s tried, multiple times, to get into the Grateful Dead and just can’t. From what I've listened to, they’re just not that great. They come off as a poor man’s Allman Brothers. If there’s something I’m missing, let me know. Their guitar playing is average at best, their singing is atrocious. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about rock music, especially from that era. I just don’t hear it.

Don't have the patience to read through a 4 page thread, my apologies if this has already been posted, but your post reminds me of a joke I first heard back in the 80's. 

What did the Dead head say when he quit drugs? God this band sucks!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

When Kadlecik left Dark Star orchestra and joined Furthur, they were great. This band brought me back into Dead music. BTW their drummer (Joe Russo) was better than the GD drummers and the keyboard player (Jeff Chimenti) was comparable to Brent. Seriously.

They got rid of John and went with Trey Anastasio and sounded horrible imo. Then, they brought in Mayer who has talent, but this is not Grateful Dead music imo.

Bottom line? They went commercial and sold out.

We have a local band in NYC and mostly Long Island called "Half Step" that is very popular and does a good job. I still like to see John K when he comes around.

I'm a big fan of Warren Haynes.  I thought it was cool when I saw the ABB at the Fox in Oakland in 2009 (I think) and he had to head down to the Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View the next day to play with The Dead.   That's talent.

You bring up drummers.  I'm a drummer as most of you know and I'm not crazy about Mickey and Bill.  They try to do "too much" sometimes.  I liked Butch and Jaimoe much better.  They complimented each other and we more in the "background" than Mickey and Bill.  Butch was in "in the pocket" drummer and Jaimoe added a real cool jazz feel to the music.  Just my opinion so don't kill me guys.  LOL

2 hours ago, Turk71 said:

When Jerry died they had a memorial at Golden Gate Park and when it was over I was waiting for my gal at the time at the car when Mickey Hart came walking up with one of his kids on his shoulders, he was parked right next to me. We were acquainted because I played Djembe in the GD Mardi Gras and New Year parades over the years with him and Wavy leading the way, in fact we had just played that afternoon in a procession circling the crowd.  I said "Hey Mickey, I just want to say thanx for all the incredible shows and unforgettable times" or something like that. He got all intense and told me "It's not over man, it's Not over". I didn't say anything because I could tell he was pissed but I knew it was over.

He got pissed??  Geeze Mickey.  Chll.  LOL 

31 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I'm a big fan of Warren Haynes.  I thought it was cool when I saw the ABB at the Fox in Oakland in 2009 (I think) and he had to head down to the Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View the next day to play with The Dead.   That's talent.

You bring up drummers.  I'm a drummer as most of you know and I'm not crazy about Mickey and Bill.  They try to do "too much" sometimes.  I liked Butch and Jaimoe much better.  They complimented each other and we more in the "background" than Mickey and Bill.  Butch was in "in the pocket" drummer and Jaimoe added a real cool jazz feel to the music.  Just my opinion so don't kill me guys.  LOL

Off topic but how would you rate the drummer in YES? I always found him to be sensational.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

The Philly show was also amazing!

Oh God yes. Great Scarlet/Fire.

It was so hot. We parked early. Some Heads walked by dripping wet. I asked them what was going on and they said there was a community pool a block or so away. Really? It was true. I can't remember but maybe it was a 1.00 to get in. Heads took over the pool and the party was on lol.

We swam for hours and then came back to the lot to continue the party, refreshed and ready to go. Fantastic Loser and Blow Away that night as well. Last event ever at JFK.  They sent it off in style. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Bill from NYC said:

I was fond of White also.

Well, Im not a drummer, I thought White was OK. I heard these days he can't play anymore, that they've got someone off-stage playing for him.

Bruford was all-World. I did prefer Crimson to Yes.

Just now, Rico said:

Well, Im not a drummer, I thought White was OK. I heard these days he can't play anymore, that they've got someone off-stage playing for him.

Bruford was all-World. I did prefer Crimson to Yes.

I was in Barnes & Noble last month and saw a YES greatest hits CD for $4.99 so I grabbed it. The last song is a live version of "I've Seen All Good People." In the last 90 seconds or so of the song he introduces Howe, Squire, Wakeman, and White who absolutely tore it up.

If I make it through this plague, a Yes concert is on my bucket list.

• Like (+1) 1

for my money probably their best show...i think Jerry and Brent were at the top of their game during that whole 89 summer tour, but Philly was the pinnacle as far as i am concerned

4 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

The Philly show was also amazing!

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I drank a couple shots of whiskey with Warren outside the back door of the Warfield Theater in San Fran after an Allman Brothers show early 90s sometime, Annabelle Garcia was there too. Last time I saw him was onstage with the Dave Mathews Band at the Gorge Amphitheater in central Washington a few years ago. I got to see him and his band Govt Mule a bunch of times as well. Great player.

Mickey was a pretty intense guy and seemed upset that people thought it was over.

He grew up in Brooklyn and was in the Air Force in Europe for a few years. He was very accomplished at judo (became a black belt) and taught combative  measures. He also played drums in the Airmen of Note, their elite big band. Another fun fact, both his parents were champion rudimentary drummers (marching band) so he started playing at a very young age. His father won the championship at the Worlds Fair in New York 1939 before he was born.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.