Grateful Dead

The Real Buffalo Joe

1 hour ago, Rico said:

I'm interested in who is going is take the time to play this. If you do, please like his post.

If you have 3 minutes to spare (Rico did)!

Anyway, don't take it from me, take it from Keith...

https://relix.com/news/detail/keith_richards_the_grateful_dead_is_where_everybody_got_it_wrong/

I think they are more representatives of a social movement, than a great musical entity. Torch bearers of an egalitarian ethos that holds a strong appeal for some people.

Edited by 32ABBA

11 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

He's 100% correct.  Jerry had the most unique sound but was average.   Don't get me started on Bobby.  TUNE THE ***** BOBBY!  Now Phil's a decent bass player but being able the make a stadium shake with Phil Bombs doesn't make you great.  But you don't listen to The Dead for their musical prowess (save that for Umphrey's ?) you listen to them for the experience/history. They are right up there with the Beach Boys as "America's Band".  

I disagree but that's what makes the world go 'round. :)

16 hours ago, gomper said:

Give this a try and get back to us.

Was this in 89? I think that Jerry was at his best in 1989, to include the show at Rich Stadium.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 32ABBA said:

They are basically the original Hoola Bandoola Band...willfully plain, sexless music. 

If you must know, go to 14:04

Garcia has his own thing, and plays some good stuff, but nothing that warrants hours of sifting through a swimming pool full of noodles, while trying to tune out Weir struggling with "microtonal' vocalizing.

They blow.

Bjorn Ulvaeus' first cousin is a good friend of mine, she lives in Santa Barbara.

If pop is your thing Abba was as poppy as it gets, at one time they sold more albums then any group in history. It may still be true for all I know. Shopping music for girls as far as I'm concerned, but to each their own.

1 hour ago, Rico said:

When I was much younger, I used to consider Weir a weak link and preferred JGB to the GD.

Cant argue with that, saw the Jerry Garcia Band (with Jerry) many many times, with Melvin on the Hammond and the soulful ladies singing backup it was a religious experience. When the GD were on they would transport you there as well. I can't say I had a favorite, when Jerry was on I was just grateful to be there.

Jerry with David Grisman was also a special treat. 

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Rico said:

When I was much younger, I used to consider Weir a weak link and preferred JGB to the GD.

Yes but when they split for a while, Weir was in a group called "Kingfish" and they were great. Dave Torbet (from the New Riders) played bass and was a great singer. Bob played rhythm, the band was sensational.

• Like (+1) 2

Yeah, I like Kingfish.

Only saw JGB once, Uptown Theatre in Chicago 1981, tremendous show.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/jerry-garcia-band/1981/uptown-theater-chicago-il-23dd08f7.html

See, for the most part, I really appreciate the front man most in the bands I like.

Weir was a terrible front man, I saw him almost fall off the stage at Alpine Valley 1982 trying to make some cheezy moves.

When he's just playing in the band (pun intended), he's great.

Edited by Rico
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yes but when they split for a while, Weir was in a group called "Kingfish" and they were great. Dave Torbet (from the New Riders) played bass and was a great singer. Bob played rhythm, the band was sensational.

I saw Kingfish a few times, Mathew Kelly ripped on guitar. 87 in Telluride at the Fly Me to the Moon saloon was a night I won't forget, for many reasons.?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I saw Kingfish a few times, Mathew Kelly ripped on guitar. 87 in Telluride at the Fly Me to the Moon saloon was a night I won't forget, for many reasons.?

If I recall, I saw them in the late 70s at a big club in Nassau County called "My Father's Place." This club recently re-opened.

For some reason I cannot remember what year it was. :)

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Rico said:

Yeah, I like Kingfish.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/jerry-garcia-band/1981/uptown-theater-chicago-il-23dd08f7.html

See, for the most part, I really appreciate the front man most in the bands I like.

Weir was a terrible front man, I saw him almost fall off the stage at Alpine Valley 1982 trying to make some cheezy moves.

I remember a t-shirt on tour in the late 80s of Bob in his pink hotpants doing one of his weird tossing his hair moves with the caption:  'Be nice to Bobby' ?

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Rico said:

Yeah, I like Kingfish.

Melvin Seals and the JGB are still around. I saw them with John Kadlecik playing lead guitar. John is a fantastic guitarist and a nice guy. I met him several times. John is now playing full time and touring with Melvin and the band. At least he was before this horrible crisis. :( 

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Rico said:

I agree with this as well.  When I stream The Dead channel on Pandora and a JGB song comes on I prefer it. 

I do have a question for you big Dead fans.  I know some of you love the different “versions” of the band over the years since the passing of Jerry from Further to The Dead and Company.  I feel that Jerry was the heart and soul of that band. I joke that they’ve become a glorified cover band. I know that some of you will say “but you love the Allman Brothers and they continued on after the passing of Duane.”  I get that but the ABB didn’t “come back” after Duane was killed. They continued on and continued to write new music and evolve as a band. I know the real hardcore Deadheads will say “who cares the music transcends Jerry” or some other hippy dippy stoner BS ?. For me I think it’s probably more the event than who’s actually playing on stage. 

Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

If I recall, I saw them in the late 70s at a big club in Nassau County called "My Father's Place." This club recently re-opened.

For some reason I cannot remember what year it was. :)

I saw Dave Mason there in 81, had a friend in Westbury and drove down from college in Albany. I saw Hot Tuna there as well.

That place is legendary. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I agree with this as well.  When I stream The Dead channel on Pandora and a JGB song comes on I prefer it. 

I do have a question for you big Dead fans.  I know some of you love the different “versions” of the band over the years since the passing of Jerry from Further to The Dead and Company.  I feel that Jerry was the heart and soul of that band. I joke that they’ve become a glorified cover band. I know that some of you will say “but you love the Allman Brothers and they continued on after the passing of Duane.”  I get that but the ABB didn’t “come back” after Duane was killed. They continued on and continued to write new music and evolve as a band. I know the real hardcore Deadheads will say “who cares the music transcends Jerry” or some other hippy dippy stoner BS ?. For me I think it’s probably more the event than who’s actually playing on stage. 

Thoughts?

Hate to say it, but they are dead to me. No Jerry, no interest. JMO.

19 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Melvin Seals and the JGB are still around. I saw them with John Kadlecik playing lead guitar. John is a fantastic guitarist and a nice guy. I met him several times. John is now playing full time and touring with Melvin and the band. At least he was before this horrible crisis. :( 

I have seen them many times since Jerry passed, the last was about a year ago in Eugene. John is a very good guitarist indeed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Thoughts?

When Kadlecik left Dark Star orchestra and joined Furthur, they were great. This band brought me back into Dead music. BTW their drummer (Joe Russo) was better than the GD drummers and the keyboard player (Jeff Chimenti) was comparable to Brent. Seriously.

They got rid of John and went with Trey Anastasio and sounded horrible imo. Then, they brought in Mayer who has talent, but this is not Grateful Dead music imo.

Bottom line? They went commercial and sold out.

We have a local band in NYC and mostly Long Island called "Half Step" that is very popular and does a good job. I still like to see John K when he comes around.

Edited by Bill from NYC

31 minutes ago, Rico said:

Hate to say it, but they are dead to me. No Jerry, no interest. JMO.

I have only seen the various incarnations a few times over the years since Jerry left. I was given tickets to The Dead last year with what's his face, John somebody I think, on guitar and it was bad. It was nice to see some folks I hadn't seen in a while but the music was not good imo. I saw Phil and his band at a fest in Portland Or. last summer and it was fantastic. Billy was showing up at the Oregon Country Fair for a few years in a row and playing late night shows with a guy named Papa Mali and that was fun. Without Jerry I definitely won't go out of my way.

24 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

When Kadlecik left Dark Star orchestra and joined Furthur, they were great. This band brought me back into Dead music. BTW their drummer (Joe Russo) was better than the GD drummers and the keyboard player (Jeff Chimenti) was comparable to Brent. Seriously.

They got rid of John and went with Trey Anastasio and sounded horrible imo. Then, they brought in Mayer who is has talent, but this is not Grateful Dead music imo.

Bottom line? They went commercial and sold out.

We have a local band in NYC and mostly Long Island called "Half Step" that is very popular and does a good job. I still like to see John K when he comes around.

I saw Joe Russo not too long ago, great show. I can't remember what he is calling his band.

Edited by Turk71

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.