Grateful Dead

The Real Buffalo Joe

On 4/9/2020 at 1:23 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I know I'm stepping on some toes here, but I'm honestly asking, not just trying to cause trouble. I can’t be the only person that’s tried, multiple times, to get into the Grateful Dead and just can’t. From what I've listened to, they’re just not that great. They come off as a poor man’s Allman Brothers. If there’s something I’m missing, let me know. Their guitar playing is average at best, their singing is atrocious. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about rock music, especially from that era. I just don’t hear it.

You’re certainly not alone.  One of my best friends, a skilled rock guitarist and keyboardist in his own right, quips “The Grateful Dead should have stayed that way”.  He also considers my liking for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers a character flaw he graciously overlooks in me.  Heh.

I think it’s a bit like Little Feat.  The songwriting isn’t amazing, but some of them just stay with ya.  

58 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You’re certainly not alone.  One of my best friends, a skilled rock guitarist and keyboardist in his own right, quips “The Grateful Dead should have stayed that way”.  He also considers my liking for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers a character flaw he graciously overlooks in me.  Heh.

I think it’s a bit like Little Feat.  The songwriting isn’t amazing, but some of them just stay with ya.  

DC Tom is one of your best friends?  Tell him we miss him but if he’s thinking of popping back in please gracefully tell him we don’t miss him THAT much. 

• Haha (+1) 1

• 8 months later...

So I was listening to a Willie Nelson concert on YouTube tonight. Playing in the background while I fiddled on my phone smoking a cigar. The next video it played was “Jerry Garcia and Merle Saunders.” 10/11/1973. Keystone. Barkley CA. 

Just the audio, no video. I gotta say, I’m actually digging this. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

So I was listening to a Willie Nelson concert on YouTube tonight. Playing in the background while I fiddled on my phone smoking a cigar. The next video it played was “Jerry Garcia and Merle Saunders.” 10/11/1973. Keystone. Barkley CA. 

Click here http://www.gdradio.net/ for the channel... something in the Dead catalog for everyone. 

I don't see how anyone could say this sucks:

• Awesome! (+1) 2

4 hours ago, T&C said:

Click here http://www.gdradio.net/ for the channel... something in the Dead catalog for everyone. 

I don't see how anyone could say this sucks:

That is a simply amazing song and "Wake of the Flood" is my favorite album. 

Music quality is all about opinion, but I don't know how much better it gets than this:

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/5/2021 at 5:18 PM, T&C said:

I'm sure I pull up something my 85 year old Dad would like out of the catalog.

This version never gets old:

Fun fact #1: This is the song that the Grateful Dead played the most times in their 30-year touring history.

Fun fact #2: John Phillips of the Mamas and the Papas wrote this song but was too drunk to remember, and Jerry "borrowed it" and the Dead made it their own, leaving Philips to joke that he ought to get paid every time the Dead play it on stage. 

• 1 month later...

For the Deadheads here...

I just listened to the second set suite from 3/24/73 at the Philadelphia Spectrum.

He’s Gone>Truckin>Jam>Dark Star>Sing Me Back Home

Hoooolllly cow. It was so stunning, so jaw dropping, so amazing, that I had to share it here.

The He’s Gone is the first played since Pigpen passed away two weeks prior. That and Truckin are outrageously well played, but it’s the 20 minute jam that follows that just dropped my jaw. Positively other worldly excellence. Just when it can’t get any further out, it drops into the shortest Dark Star on record, out of the ashes of which a stirringly beautiful Sing Me Back Home arises. They follow this masterpiece suite with a rockin Sugar Magnolia and Johnny B Goode to close this historic 30 song epic performance.

The show is available on YouTube, Archive.org, and as an official release (Dave’s Picks series). I highly recommend at least listening from He’s Gone onward.

Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Put on your headphones and close your eyes and float away. 

Magic. 

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 2/4/2021 at 12:27 AM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

You may like ‘Legion of Mary’ a short-lived band with Garcia, Saunders, Kahn, Tutt and Fierro (sax/flute). Search youtube for shows. LoM was my favorite rendition of a Garcia band. Cannot locate the link but interesting side note that a bunch of nuns belonging to the ‘Legion of Mary’ Catholic group mistakenly showed up at a SF show and had a great time.

• Like (+1) 1

This was made during a time where the Dead split for a short time and went their own ways. Weir formerd a band called "Kingfish."  I actually saw this band in a fairly small club. The lead singer/bass player was from the New Riders. 

I for one prefer the work Weir did with Kingfish over almost anything he did with the Dead.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

This was made during a time where the Dead split for a short time and went their own ways. Weir formerd a band called "Kingfish."  I actually saw this band in a fairly small club. The lead singer/bass player was from the New Riders. 

I for one prefer the work Weir did with Kingfish over almost anything he did with the Dead.

I saw them in Telluride at the Fly Me to the Moon Saloon in '87, Saturday night after the Dead played the town park that day. Mathew Kelly tore it up. Wild night on an incredible weekend. Afterward I drummed all night in an old schoolhouse with King Baba Olatunji and the Drums of Passion, then we all gathered in the town park for a Baba led sunrise heart opening ritual to celebrate the Harmonic Convergence.🌎😁

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/8/2020 at 5:29 AM, Greg S said:

Cornell 5/8/77. Considered by many to be one of the greatest shows they ever did. Happy 43rd year anniversary today.

Next show was Buffalo 5/9/77, my first show and still one of my favorites.

• Like (+1) 1

Since Weather Report Suite is getting some love over the past few posts -- and it should, it's gorgeous and is one of my all time favorites -- I thought some foiks might enjoy this. It's Bobby Weir playing an acoustic demo of the entire Weather Report Suite. He didn't have words for parts 1 and 2 yet, but he had the music worked out. This is about mid 1973. Post spring tour but prior to the Wake of the Flood recording sessions.

Hearing it stripped down, acoustic....just beautiful. This is now and forever my answer to anyone who dares to try to tell me that Bobby isn't an absolutely incredible musician.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/19/2021 at 11:51 AM, Mr Info said:

You may like ‘Legion of Mary’ a short-lived band with Garcia, Saunders, Kahn, Tutt and Fierro (sax/flute). Search youtube for shows. LoM was my favorite rendition of a Garcia band. Cannot locate the link but interesting side note that a bunch of nuns belonging to the ‘Legion of Mary’ Catholic group mistakenly showed up at a SF show and had a great time.

Apparently people used to think Creedence Clearwater Revival shows were attended by people who thought it was an actual baptist tent revival. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.