Grateful Dead

The Real Buffalo Joe

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 5:19 AM, Rico said:

See to me...

Love Jerry

Love the band

Love the music, love the jams

Love the songs (60's and 70's, with a few later exceptions)

BUT

Have never, ever had any use or love for the Deadheads at those shows.  :D

I know but they are harmless (except to themselves). I saw a Dead Fan selling acid at a concert, directly in front of a uniformed police officer. The guy thought the cop was "part of his trip." The cop let him go and told him to get lost.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I know but they are harmless (except to themselves). I saw a Dead Fan selling acid at a concert, directly in front of a uniformed police officer. The guy thought the cop was "part of his trip." The cop let him go and told him to get lost.

I was OK as long as the one's who really needed a bath stayed away from me.

• Like (+1) 1

I was at a Further show NYE at the Bill Graham in SF (only saw the Dead once - Fell asleep during Space. Seriously?  If you have to be stoned (and I wasn’t) to enjoy a song....sorry sorry I digress). Anyway the wife and I were sitting next to a young couple there with their 12 year old. I asked where they were from. South of San Jose I think. I asked when they did for a living. They said “we’re farmers). Well during the show they passed me a joint. I declined.  Then during a set break they handed me a baggie. “Mushroom?”  I said “you guys ARE farmers!”  ?

On 4/10/2020 at 6:07 PM, Bad Things said:

While one the subject... a shout out to all of those great, Grateful Dead tribute bands out there. 

The Park Ave Band were always a blast to see live in Rochester, while Shakedown Street filled those Northern Colorado canyons with sweet sounds.

I saw them many times at the Warehouse back in the days. Max Creek, Resurrection and Holy Smoke played there a lot too.

A couple of my favorite Dead shows were the 7/4/86 show at Rich stadium where the Dead opened for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and then Petty's band became Bob Dylan's band to close the show.

Another great show was at Saratoga sometime in the early 80's. It was a warm drizzly day, at one point they were singing "Fire on the mountain" and you could see the lightning over the mountains in the distance. The music and camping were great that weekend.

Also in the early 80's I saw an accoustic show with just Jerry, Robert Hunter and a stand up bass player at the Auditorium Theater in Rochester... great stuff.

Lately it has just been the yearly DSO show at Frontier field that brings in a few thousand fans and they always play a great show.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Another great show was at Saratoga sometime in the early 80's. It was a warm drizzly day, at one point they were singing "Fire on the mountain" and you could see the lightning over the mountains in the distance. The music and camping were great that weekend.

I went to college in Albany and had a blast at that show with a bunch of friends. Easily one of the best shows of the year imo (1983). Here it is in its entirety. 

https://archive.org/details/gd83-06-18.senn421.nawrocki.14411.sbeok.shnf

unfortunately I don't think there is a soundboard recording. There may be better taper recordings out there. Either way a great show, impossible to capture the energy of being there.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

To me 1977 was their best year. If anyone is trying to get into the Dead I would suggest 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell. Many say the best Scarlet/Fire ever. This show gets all the hype and for good reason as it was an excellent show but the next night 5/9/77 in Buffalo at the Aud was just as good IMHO.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

To me 1977 was their best year. If anyone is trying to get into the Dead I would suggest 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell. Many say the best Scarlet/Fire ever. This show gets all the hype and for good reason as it was an excellent show but the next night 5/9/77 in Buffalo at the Aud was just as good IMHO.

Yeah, I would give 1977 the edge over 1972 for my fav year, those shows rock.

8 hours ago, Greg S said:

Boston, Cornell and Buffalo 77(my 1st show) Incredible 3 night run.

https://archive.org/details/gd77-05-07.sbd.eaton.wizard.26085.sbeok.shnf

https://archive.org/details/gd1977-05-08.shure57.stevenson.29303.flac16

https://archive.org/details/gd77-05-09.sbd.connor.8304.sbeok.shnf 

Hollywood Palladium 71 and Oregon Country Fair site 72 for good measure.

https://archive.org/details/gd71-08-06.aud.bertrando.yerys.129.sbeok.shnf

https://archive.org/details/gd72-08-27.sbd.braverman.16582.sbefail.shnf

I skip the lengthy stage announcements. Great soundboard of a great show.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1

I just read through the whole thread and listened to a few of the vids posted. I have friends that are dead heads and one plays bass in a cover band. I appreciate everyone commenting on what it is that they love about the Dead. I have just never been swept away by them, but I love the enthusiasm that the fans have for the band. I don’t dislike them, but they don’t really move me strongly one way or the other. I am envious that they don’t register strongly with me the way they do for you guys.

Funnily enough, my favorite band was mentioned in this thread, the Beach Boys! I guess Brian Wilson is to me what Jerry Garcia is to you. 

On 4/9/2020 at 12:19 PM, 4_kidd_4 said:

It’s not the tunes it’s their live show. You gotta smell the crowd to truly appreciate. 

That's it right there. I went to college in Sacramento, about a 1/3 of a mile from Cal Expo...the huge concert venue in Sac at the time. Every year when the Dead would come to Sac, the Dead Heads would find any piece of grass w/in a mile radius of Cal Expo and camp out. One of those pieces of lawn was adjacent to my apartment on busy Howe Ave. I'd look out and see these folks all week. I didn't have to go to the concert to "smell the crowd." I smelled it whenever I opened my windows. Hot, summer Sacramento. The scent of herb, body odor, patchouli. I hated Dead week. 

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

I just read through the whole thread and listened to a few of the vids posted. I have friends that are dead heads and one plays bass in a cover band. I appreciate everyone commenting on what it is that they love about the Dead. I have just never been swept away by them, but I love the enthusiasm that the fans have for the band. I don’t dislike them, but they don’t really move me strongly one way or the other. I am envious that they don’t register strongly with me the way they do for you guys.

Funnily enough, my favorite band was mentioned in this thread, the Beach Boys! I guess Brian Wilson is to me what Jerry Garcia is to you. 

2.5 years ago I brought 2 friends, north of 50, to see dead and company in Camden NJ.  My one bud is as conservative and reserved as they come.  He now asks me each year what shows we're going to.  It's definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but it's a whole lot of fun watching people get on the bus.

• Like (+1) 2

• 4 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.