Grateful Dead

The Real Buffalo Joe

While one the subject... a shout out to all of those great, Grateful Dead tribute bands out there. 

The Park Ave Band were always a blast to see live in Rochester, while Shakedown Street filled those Northern Colorado canyons with sweet sounds.

10 hours ago, gomper said:

7/4/89 at Rich. They always played well the hometown. Great scene too!

That was an awesome day. It was great to be back in Buffalo and see the Dead with childhood friends. The 'Cold Rain and Snow' really made me smile. I just remember seeing the look of amazement on a couple of friends faces who had never been to a show.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, The Poojer said:

for my money probably their best show...i think Jerry and Brent were at the top of their game during that whole 89 summer tour, but Philly was the pinnacle as far as i am concerned

I agree 100%!!! @The Poojer.  How much better can it get than this? Watch Jerry smile while Brent went off. He just played rhythm guitar and took it all in. :) :) :) 

Yeah, this is as good as it gets imo.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

Of course we all miss Jerry but Brent brought so much soul into the band, and his keyboard jams were otherworldly.  Drugs did a major number on Jerry, but i think Brent dying was almost as lethal.  Jerry had so much appreciation for him as you pointed out with his smiling as Brent took over.  Phil doesn't get enough credit either...sure we all hated when phil songs came on, but his playing was incredible.  I'm glad he felt strongly enough to get out and enjoy his life with his kids and play when and with who he feels like, but he was as important a piece of the band as any of them

49 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I agree 100%!!! @The Poojer.  How much better can it get than this? Watch Jerry smile while Brent went off. He just played rhythm guitar and took it all in. :) :) :) 

Yeah, this is as good as it gets imo.

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

Of course we all miss Jerry but Brent brought so much soul into the band, and his keyboard jams were otherworldly.  Drugs did a major number on Jerry, but i think Brent dying was almost as lethal.  Jerry had so much appreciation for him as you pointed out with his smiling as Brent took over.  Phil doesn't get enough credit either...sure we all hated when phil songs came on, but his playing was incredible.  I'm glad he felt strongly enough to get out and enjoy his life with his kids and play when and with who he feels like, but he was as important a piece of the band as any of them

Phil was definitely not a good singer but I loved his songs. Unbroken Chain, Box of Rain, Pride of Cucamonga are all great songs imo. 

I was at the last show in Chicago when they finished with Phil singing Box of Rain, the last song they ever sang together.

Just now, Turk71 said:

Phil was definitely not a good singer but I loved his songs. Unbroken Chain, Box of Rain, Pride of Cucamonga are all great songs imo. 

I was at the last show in Chicago when they finished with Phil singing Box of Rain, the last song they ever sang together.

I'm just really happy to have the music continuing on.  I'd rather have John mayer than no Dead tours.  I'll go to the mat defending Mayer but I fully get the resistance.  I'm just happy to have fall and summer tours I can escape to

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

I'm just really happy to have the music continuing on.  I'd rather have John mayer than no Dead tours.  I'll go to the mat defending Mayer but I fully get the resistance.  I'm just happy to have fall and summer tours I can escape to

Okay, I can understand that. I'm glad they are still playing too. I saw them last summer and thought Bobby was the problem with the music, he was dragging the tempo and looked like he was gonna fall over. I was glad I was there though and had fun seeing a lot of old friends.

Not sure how my comment about Phil pivoted to John Mayer though.

3 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Okay, I can understand that. I'm glad they are still playing too. I saw them last summer and thought Bobby was the problem with the music, he was dragging the tempo and looked like he was gonna fall over. I was glad I was there though and had fun seeing a lot of old friends.

Not sure how my comment about Phil pivoted to John Mayer though.

Oh Bob is definitely keeping the tempo slow, but Mayer, Oteil and Jeff C are really sitting back and doing some really special things to keep the spirit of the band moving forward.  The trick is catching Jeff and Oteil in the smaller venues/clubs really honing their "Dead" chops then seeing them on the bigger stage

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I agree with this as well.  When I stream The Dead channel on Pandora and a JGB song comes on I prefer it. 

I do have a question for you big Dead fans.  I know some of you love the different “versions” of the band over the years since the passing of Jerry from Further to The Dead and Company.  I feel that Jerry was the heart and soul of that band. I joke that they’ve become a glorified cover band. I know that some of you will say “but you love the Allman Brothers and they continued on after the passing of Duane.”  I get that but the ABB didn’t “come back” after Duane was killed. They continued on and continued to write new music and evolve as a band. I know the real hardcore Deadheads will say “who cares the music transcends Jerry” or some other hippy dippy stoner BS ?. For me I think it’s probably more the event than who’s actually playing on stage. 

Thoughts?

I'll leave this one to Ken Kesey, who wrote a letter after Jerry died that started this way:

Hey, Jerry-- what's happening?  I caught your funeral.  Weird.

Big Steve was good.  And Grissman.  Sweet sounds.  But what really stood

out -- stands out -- is the thundering silence, the lack, the absence of

that golden Garcia lead line, of that familiar slick lick with the uptwist

at the end, that merry snake twining through the woodpile, flickering in

and out of the loosely stacked chords...a wriggling mystery, bright and

slick as fire... suddenly gone.

And the silence left in its wake was-- is-- positively

ear-splitting.

I'll just go with that. The silence...the space...is absolutely ear-splitting. Nothing...absolutely NOTHING since Jerry died can hold a candle to the music WITH Jerry. Nothing. I've been to dozens of shows, from The Dead to Furthur to Dead and Co to Wolf Bros to Phil and Friends to Ratdog to Dark Star Orchestra, and NOTHING holds a candle. Jerry was the sun around which the other planets (players) orbited, and his absence is ear-splitting.

So why do I still go to the shows? Because it's still church. It's still chasing transcendence. It's still going and seeing some of my favorite musicians chasing the muse while I still can. It's still the same community, and joy, and pursuit of IT, and love and magic. That's why I still go. It still FEELS mostly the same, out in audience land. It's still church. But the silence...the gap where that magical Garcia solo should be...it's ear splitting.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Turk71 said:

I drank a couple shots of whiskey with Warren outside the back door of the Warfield Theater in San Fran after an Allman Brothers show early 90s sometime, Annabelle Garcia was there too. Last time I saw him was onstage with the Dave Mathews Band at the Gorge Amphitheater in central Washington a few years ago. I got to see him and his band Govt Mule a bunch of times as well. Great player.

Mickey was a pretty intense guy and seemed upset that people thought it was over.

He grew up in Brooklyn and was in the Air Force in Europe for a few years. He was very accomplished at judo (became a black belt) and taught combative  measures. He also played drums in the Airmen of Note, their elite big band. Another fun fact, both his parents were champion rudimentary drummers (marching band) so he started playing at a very young age. His father won the championship at the Worlds Fair in New York 1939 before he was born.

I’ve rode the rail for many a Mule show. They did their Muleoween show in Oakland for a few years. Best one was with Robby Krieger. Great music great stories. 

5 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Actually I meant White.

Oh. He’s very good too but personally I like Bruford better. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

So why do I still go to the shows? Because it's still church. It's still chasing transcendence. It's still going and seeing some of my favorite musicians chasing the muse while I still can. It's still the same community, and joy, and pursuit of IT, and love and magic. That's why I still go. It still FEELS mostly the same, out in audience land. It's still church. But the silence...the gap where that magical Garcia solo should be...it's ear splitting.

I still go when I can but I just don't travel much to shows anymore. We went to the Gorge in WA a couple times, I think the best was in 09 when all the boys were there and Warren took Jerry's place. The Doobies and the Allman Bros opened. Phil and Dylan did a tour together years ago and we saw shows from Seattle down to San Diego. That was a great trip and the music was really good. I definitely see them whatever form their in when they come to Oregon and I still enjoy the whole experience but it's obviously not the same without Jerry. 

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I still go when I can but I just don't travel much to shows anymore. We went to the Gorge in WA a couple times, I think the best was in 09 when all the boys were there and Warren took Jerry's place. The Doobies and the Allman Bros opened. Phil and Dylan did a tour together years ago and we saw shows from Seattle down to San Diego. That was a great trip and the music was really good. I definitely see them whatever form their in when they come to Oregon and I still enjoy the whole experience but it's obviously not the same without Jerry. 

I still go to see Dead and Company at the Gorge whenever they play there. Best venue in America.

I usually do DSO or JRAD in Portland and Eugene whenever possible, too. The live experience is still a whole lotta fun. I just don’t personally feel that it can hold a candle to the genuine article, musically. But that’s okay!  It is still about as much fun as one can have at a live show of any kind. The community is still there. The lot is still there. The pursuit of IT is still there.

I am so thankful to still get to go and see this music live, 25 years after Jerry left this earth.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I still go to see Dead and Company at the Gorge whenever they play there. Best venue in America.

I usually do DSO or JRAD in Portland and Eugene whenever possible, too. The live experience is still a whole lotta fun. I just don’t personally feel that it can hold a candle to the genuine article, musically. But that’s okay!  It is still about as much fun as one can have at a live show of any kind. The community is still there. The lot is still there. The pursuit of IT is still there.

I am so thankful to still get to go and see this music live, 25 years after Jerry left this earth.

We were at the Gorge last summer for Dead and Co. and had a blast. Played music at a few different camps and saw a lot of good friends at the top of the campground Shakedown street. Love that venue.

I thought it was last year I caught them at Autzen but the wife tells me it's been 2. Time flies. I too am grateful I can still gather with my tribe.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Turk71 said:

We were at the Gorge last summer for Dead and Co. and had a blast. Played music at a few different camps and saw a lot of good friends at the top of the campground Shakedown street. 

Love that venue. I thought it was last year I caught them at Autzen but the wife tells me it's been 2. Time flies. I too am grateful

I can still gather with my tribe.

That show at Autzen was SO GOOD!!! As the bassist Otiel Burbridge says, Eugene is like “an old growth forest of Deadheads”. Very cool town to see Dead music in. 

And I so love my summer Gorge trips and will miss seeing them there this year. First time at that venue for me was The Dead in ‘04, with Robert Hunter and the Allman Bros opening. That’s when I really and truly got “on the bus”. My only complaint about the Gorge is that the nitrous situation in the lot has gotten out of control. It’s beyond gross. Nothing I hate more at shows than hearing the hiss of the nitrous tanks. Ugh. Ah well, as the lyric goes: “It’s one in 10,000 that comes for the show”.

• Like (+1) 1

See to me...

Love Jerry

Love the band

Love the music, love the jams

Love the songs (60's and 70's, with a few later exceptions)

BUT

Have never, ever had any use or love for the Deadheads at those shows.  :D

Edited by Rico

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.