Grateful Dead

The Real Buffalo Joe

I know I'm stepping on some toes here, but I'm honestly asking, not just trying to cause trouble. I can’t be the only person that’s tried, multiple times, to get into the Grateful Dead and just can’t. From what I've listened to, they’re just not that great. They come off as a poor man’s Allman Brothers. If there’s something I’m missing, let me know. Their guitar playing is average at best, their singing is atrocious. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about rock music, especially from that era. I just don’t hear it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Angry 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I know I'm stepping on some toes here, but I'm honestly asking, not just trying to cause trouble. I can’t be the only person that’s tried, multiple times, to get into the Grateful Dead and just can’t. From what I've listened to, they’re just not that great. They come off as a poor man’s Allman Brothers. If there’s something I’m missing, let me know. Their guitar playing is average at best, their singing is atrocious. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about rock music, especially from that era. I just don’t hear it.

I was like you for a long time. I'm also a stoner who doesnt like Pink Floyd.

Then it just clicked with the Dead.

They dont necessarily do anything that will blow you away in a single catchy tune with an earworm hook. they arent going to "rock your socks off".  Hell, it took them decades to break through onto the Popular charts with Touch of Grey.

But they do have some great song writing. Some of the best I've ever come across.

For me, their album American Beauty hooked me in way more than starting with their Greatest Hits. Besides the well known songs on there, Box of Rain and Ripple are my favorites.

Great for putting on around the house when you want something chill, but good, and kid-friendly too. Our 16mo old daughter love em.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, T&C said:

You are trolling us... no?

Honestly, I've made enough troll posts here, that I can see why it comes off this way. But I'm not. I'm not even trying to be rude. I'm genuinely asking what I'm missing? Am I listening to the wrong concerts or what?  I've never heard anything that's overly impressed me. 

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

I was like you for a long time. I'm also a stoner who doesnt like Pink Floyd.

Then it just clicked with the Dead.

They dont necessarily do anything that will blow you away in a single catchy tune with an earworm hook. they arent going to "rock your socks off".  Hell, it took them decades to break through onto the Popular charts with Touch of Grey.

But they do have some great song writing. Some of the best I've ever come across.

For me, their album American Beauty hooked me in way more than starting with their Greatest Hits. Besides the well known songs on there, Box of Rain and Ripple are my favorites.

Great for putting on around the house when you want something chill, but good, and kid-friendly too. Our 16mo old daughter love em.

I'm not a stoner, but I've always been into stoner music. I never really got into Pink Floyd until later in life. I had to write a piece about a local tribute band for a music magazine. In doing research I found a greater respect for them that I never had. Part of why I'm asking here, maybe I'm missing that same thing that I was missing with Floyd.

8 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Honestly, I've made enough troll posts here, that I can see why it comes off this way. But I'm not. I'm not even trying to be rude. I'm genuinely asking what I'm missing? Am I listening to the wrong concerts or what?  I've never heard anything that's overly impressed me. 

I'm not a stoner, but I've always been into stoner music. I never really got into Pink Floyd until later in life. I had to write a piece about a local tribute band for a music magazine. In doing research I found a greater respect for them that I never had. Part of why I'm asking here, maybe I'm missing that same thing that I was missing with Floyd.

Sorry, was only referring to myself as a stoner and saying I wasnt into the Dead and also not into Floyd.

I respect PF's music, and I enjoy the Live at Pompeii rock-umentary, but would never actively choose to listen to them. They bore me. And I've always wondered what I'm missing that everyone else loves about them.

I think with both bands, it's easy to overlook them from today's perspective. But we need to keep in mind, they were really the groundbreakers on a lot of this stuff.

You call the Dead a poor man's Allman Bros, but would we even have the Allman Bros if not for the Dead?

To me, Pink Floyd is boring, but when they were first putting this stuff out it was totally different than anything done before.

I dunno.

The only thing I do know, slightly off topic, I ***** hate the Eagles.

18 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I don’t love the “live music” unless I was actually watching them in front of me. The concerts are as much or more “event” than “music” to me based upon the ones I went to. The albums, however, include some absolutely classic music. American Beauty was mentioned and so many others. It was probably half of what we listened to in college. When a good song comes on, it takes me right back there.....without all the......college stuff. 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I'm sorry

Fellow Deadheads enjoy-

https://archive.org/details/GratefulDead

side topic- what is your favorite dead show?  Buffalo?  Cornell?

One more- what shows have new speedway boogie?  It seems they play it rarely

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I am not a Dead fan.

I will say that I DO think I'd really like them if I took the time to dig deeply into their catalog.

I don't think your comparison to the Allman Bros., is really appropriate.  Two different bands; two different genres; two different styles.  The only thing they really have in common is that they're "jam bands."

From the Dead that I've heard (I have listened to some "deep cuts," as one of my closest friends is a Dead Head), I will also opine that your assessment of Jerry Garcia's guitar playing is off the mark.  He was a great guitarist.  Far above average.

I will also disagree with your "singing is atrocious," comment.  Anything I've heard, regardless of who's on lead, has been great.  And their harmonies are also great.

I think you're passing judgment on a band that you've really not even listened to.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I guess that begs the question "What exactly have you tried listening to?"

There's years where Jerry is strung out and the band is not engaged.

There's stuff where the goal was experimentation as opposed to keeping it tight.

There's times when the drugs have overwhelmed the quality of the music.

The very earliest stuff can fall on the wrong side of psychedelic.

But both of the guitar players are among the best ever at what they do as individuals.

Garcia's interpretation of Hunter's lyrics is usually spot on; maybe you mistakenly listened to them letting Phil sing.

Tell us what you've heard that you don't like and folks can probably suggest some stuff that you would.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

It’s not the tunes it’s their live show. You gotta smell the crowd to truly appreciate. 

I think American Beauty and Workingmans Dead are among the greatest rock and roll records ever crafted.  Live Dead is phenomenal.  But I really dig Dead studio albums on vinyl

Edited by Pete
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Simon said:

I guess that begs the question "What exactly have you tried listening to?"

There's years where Jerry is strung out and the band is not engaged.

There's stuff where the goal was experimentation as opposed to keeping it tight.

There's times when the drugs have overwhelmed the quality of the music.

The very earliest stuff can fall on the wrong side of psychedelic.

But both of the guitar players are among the best ever at what they do as individuals.

Garcia's interpretation of Hunter's lyrics is usually spot on; maybe you mistakenly listened to them letting Phil sing.

Tell us what you've heard that you don't like and folks can probably suggest some stuff that you would.

Pretty sure the guy is bored or on quarantine to make this one.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm also a stoner who doesnt like Pink Floyd.

What Is Wrong With Yo Ass? GIF by Steve Harvey TV - Find & Share ...

1 hour ago, T&C said:

AHHHHHHH, Battersea. I searched far and wide for a high-end art print in large format for my apartment after I got divorced. Couldn't find it.....instead I have Red Rocks at dusk. Fair trade.

The BEST. 

This album is my deserted island album. 

Edited by Seasons1992
  • Haha (+1) 2

Suggest watching The Other One bio on Bob Weir on Netflix and Long Strange Trip. Both are good bios and provide a better background on band members and their music. It might provide some info on what you are seeking.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

You clearly have not done enough drugs in your life.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.