Mike Clay 2020 team projections: Bills

31 minutes ago, CBD said:

Ultimately nothing can be determined until after the season is played. It's a projection. 

At this point, I’m just hoping that the season IS played, and hopefully on schedule.  For a whole lot of reasons! 

Edited by Augie

10 hours ago, eball said:

What a waste of time, creating something like this.  Good lord.

Technically, that's what we do here.  Almost everything discussion worthy starts with someone's subjective opinion.  My problems with the unit grades were the O-line was too low (far from average) and Josh being so much lower than Baker.  It says that the offense needs to step it up which it has every chance to do and an injection of talent on that side of the ball would be helpful.   Although, I would agree with you that win probabilities and predraft unit rankings seems way premature and therefore higher on the "waste of time" scale than most topics.

1 hour ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Technically, that's what we do here.  Almost everything discussion worthy starts with someone's subjective opinion.  My problems with the unit grades were the O-line was too low (far from average) and Josh being so much lower than Baker.  It says that the offense needs to step it up which it has every chance to do and an injection of talent on that side of the ball would be helpful.   Although, I would agree with you that win probabilities and predraft unit rankings seems way premature and therefore higher on the "waste of time" scale than most topics.

Dude, just call it what it is...some guy’s fantasy football predictions. Did this guy put out similar crap last year? I’d love to see how it compared to what actually happened. 

4 hours ago, below said:

LOL how could the schedule possibly be as easy as last year?

Look no further than the draft order this year. We played FOUR of the five worst teams including the Fins twice.

And we were extremely fortunate to play Mariota (and Eli) before he got benched.

I agree the schedule this year looks somewhat tougher but the path to winning the division got a a lot easier. And there's an extra wildcard spot up for grabs. I'd say overall our chances of making the playoffs are higher right now than they were in April of last year.

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes he does do it every year. Trying to find last year’s - here are all teams 

https://g.espncdn.com/s/ffldraftkit/Clay Projections 2019.pdf

Comparison of his W-L projections and actual. I bolded his projections whcih were off my more than about 2 games (I chose this number as 2 games can change the rankings significantly, feel free to disagree). My point is that he was off by a lot

Ravens            7.8                  14
Bills             7.1                  10
Panthers          7.8                   5

Bears             9.1                   8
Bengals           6.1                  2
Browns            10                   6

Cowboys            9                   8
Broncos           5.1                  7
Lions             7.3                  3
Packers           9.1                 13

Texans            8.8                 10
Colts             6.8                  7
Jaguars           7.7                  6
Chiefs            10.2                12
Chargers          10.3                 5
Rams              11.3                 9

Dolphins           4.1                 5
Vikings            8.9                10
Patriots**        11.1                 12
Saints            10.9                 13
Giants             5.8                 4

Jets               7.2                  7
Raiders            5.5                  7
Eagles             11.1                 9
Steelers           8.9                  8
Seahawks           7.5                 11
49ers              7.1                 13

Bucs               7.2                  7
Titans             7.7                  9
Redskins           4.8                  3

6 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Comparison of his W-L projections and actual. I bolded his projections whcih were off my more than about 2 games (I chose this number as 2 games can change the rankings significantly, feel free to disagree). My point is that he was off by a lot

Ravens            7.8                  14
Bills             7.1                  10
Panthers          7.8                   5

Bears             9.1                   8
Bengals           6.1                  2
Browns            10                   6

Cowboys            9                   8
Broncos           5.1                  7
Lions             7.3                  3
Packers           9.1                 13

Texans            8.8                 10
Colts             6.8                  7
Jaguars           7.7                  6
Chiefs            10.2                12
Chargers          10.3                 5
Rams              11.3                 9

Dolphins           4.1                 5
Vikings            8.9                10
Patriots**        11.1                 12
Saints            10.9                 13
Giants             5.8                 4

Jets               7.2                  7
Raiders            5.5                  7
Eagles             11.1                 9
Steelers           8.9                  8
Seahawks           7.5                 11
49ers              7.1                 13

Bucs               7.2                  7
Titans             7.7                  9
Redskins           4.8                  3

What a joke.  His 'statistical analysis' look exactly like the guesses offered up by every other dope last offseason who vastly overrated the Browns, Rams and Eagles based on the prior season and media hype, yet completely missed emerging teams like the Ravens, 49ers, Seahawks and Bills.   And the most telltale sign of all all.....picks virtually every team to have between 6-10 wins so he'll be sure to not be too far off on anyone!  A dog pissing on the sports page could have come up with better guesses than that.

p.s.  who the ***** is Mike Clay?   And can someone please post when Jim Smith and Don White issue their predications.

Edited by KD in CA

On 4/9/2020 at 1:57 PM, Chandler#81 said:

I agree with your take -with this caveat; Josh is a different animal as a national QB. His path to the pros typically spells doom for everyone else and a complete lack of quality coaching showed up Day 1, other-worldly talent notwithstanding.

i certainly expect him to be better this year than last, but his peak is likely a couple/ few years away. 

I certainly hope so! And you’re right, Josh Allen is a NFL QB enigma & he’s still so raw. The un-mined, untapped potential brewing beneath his rocky exterior is staggering. And it would make sense given all of the circumstances that his zenith / apex / peak is truly 2-3 years away, but if we’re taking “safe” bets, this year will be one that helps solidify his NFL identity. Regardless, I’m excited for his future and it certainly seems blindingly bright.

Edited by BigBuff423
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit is it, rookie?

Where did I say we had an easier schedule?

I said, and I’ll say it sloooooooowly for your benefit, strength of schedule can not be determined until the schedule has been played.

Capiche?

I believe I made an inference which is high level reading comp indeed! Middle school at least!

I inferred that you implied that we won't know if our schedule this year is harder until after the season. 

Usually I'd agree except in this case where last year's preposterously easy schedule makes that damn near impossible.

Schedule will be much tougher this year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2020 at 4:16 PM, billsfan89 said:

You don't know how tough the schedule really is until the season starts to shake out. The NFL is far more volatile than any other league year to year. Injuries, regression teams falling flat happen to a lot of teams you would expect to be tough, whereas weak teams get lucky and develop better than they are projected to. I only look at the divisional opponents as the real test of the schedule and even that isn't super reliable. 

So I don't really put much stock into how difficult a schedule really is. However I do think that the team will win 11 games if I had to project pre-draft. Looking into the division I am not too impressed. The Pats* have a tough defense and ST unit but their QB situation is a bit rocky, I think they are a mid-level team. The Fins are improving from scrappy underdog but unless they have a QB (and unless they trade for Joe B I don't see that changing) I see their ceiling at 7 wins. The Jets are a bit tricky, they made modest improvements to the O-line but they still lack a lot of talent around a good QB. Unless the Jets nail their draft I don't see them having the talent level around their QB to get above 8 wins. 

So the division looks soft, Diggs is a big addition, the team keeps a strong defense and is young or in its prime at most positions. McD is a good coach and Allen is in his third year and should improve a bit I hope. I think they can go 4-2 in the division and then 7-3 against the rest of their schedule. Overall I think that this team is primed to win the division and a divisional win along with a playoff win is the bare minimum this team must achieve.

This is a snarky way to rebut your reply but it is what it is.  Looks like Fish and Jests both improved (on paper).  Jests and Fins came on towards the end of the season as the light was beginning to be seen.  This whole Covid thing really resets all kinds of clocks in various starting places for all teams.  Each and every fan wants to think oh well my team blah blah blah has the advantage.

I hope you are right at 4-2......Pats are still going to be a tough W no matter who is tossing the pigskin.  11 wins would rock.....12 would be awesome.  We shall see.  Thanks for the insights in your rebuttal....all great points prior to the draft.

Go Bills

On 4/9/2020 at 9:48 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

9 wins is winning the division.  The Bills could be a better team than last year and have less wins.  Our schedule was joke last year and we caught every break.  This is the real test of how far the process is.  If they get double digit wins and Allen improves against this schedule (obviously it’s early but it does seem harder), I will be fully invested in the process.  

So you're not fully invested at this point???

47 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

This is a snarky way to rebut your reply but it is what it is.  Looks like Fish and Jests both improved (on paper).  Jests and Fins came on towards the end of the season as the light was beginning to be seen.  This whole Covid thing really resets all kinds of clocks in various starting places for all teams.  Each and every fan wants to think oh well my team blah blah blah has the advantage.

I hope you are right at 4-2......Pats are still going to be a tough W no matter who is tossing the pigskin.  11 wins would rock.....12 would be awesome.  We shall see.  Thanks for the insights in your rebuttal....all great points prior to the draft.

Go Bills

I would assume the schedule would be tougher as the 2019 schedule was really soft. But my main point is that the NFL is super volatile and often times things go very unpredictably that stating the difficulty of a schedule can be hard. I do remember a lot of people going into 2019 really were concerned about the schedule particularly the back half of the schedule. 

In the division I would say that the Pats got worse and the Jets and Fins got better. The rest of the schedule is just to hard to shake out. 

• Like (+1) 1