Great Beane Interview

4 hours ago, stuvian said:

Florio's elevation to football expert is the triumph of marketing over knowledge. He knows no more than anyone on this board

You can same about most of the folks making a living in sports media.   Their skill isn't sports analysis.  They're skilled communicators and self-marketers.   If people didn't read, watch and listen, they wouldn't make money.   

Florio is emphatically not an expert.  But once in a while a guy like Florio will stumble across an interesting piece of information because he's talking to folks inside - or around the periphery of - the NFL all the time.  

Nice interview.   Not a lot new by now, but it's interesting nevertheless.   He talks a lot about what they're doing to adjust to virus limitations.    

And, by the way, he sort of weighed in on the debate that is going on in the thread about what would have happened if the Bills had had Diggs last season.  He said what he learned in the playoff game was what he already knew - the Bills weren't scoring enough points, and what they needed to score more points was a receiver to pair with Brown and Beasley.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Believe it or not, I once worked with a guy in his early 30s who had a 17 year old kid.  It does happen from time to time.

Loretta Lynn had a child at ,13, and that child also had one at 13, so she was a grandmother at 26.

4 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Does anyone who is criticizing Florio actually watch PFT Live with Chris Simms? It is great. Florio is not full of himself at all, and he doesn't pretend to be an Xs and Os guy. He's very fair and has a lot of input on the business/labor side of things. Best football talk show on TV, IMO.

Yes - watch it all the time.  Because I like Sims and Florio is an amusing foil/straight man.

This doesn't prevent him from being a whiny idiot when left to his own devices (Twitter, etc.)

Edited by BobChalmers

Does anyone who is criticizing Florio actually watch PFT Live with Chris Simms? It is great. Florio is not full of himself at all, and he doesn't pretend to be an Xs and Os guy. He's very fair and has a lot of input on the business/labor side of things. Best football talk show on TV, IMO.

And like anyone on this board could do, he took his fandom, started writing about it, and through hard work and dedication ended up with a very popular football news site and was then offered a TV show. Good for him.

While not a big fan of any of these sports talk shows, I have seen some PFT Live. And it isn't terrible usually. I've heard Florio admit he's a hot-take, shiny-thing kind of guy. IMO he is better on camera than in print.

And I respect (and like) what he was able to accomplish. Like a couple friends of mine, he left the law to do something closer to his passion. He is obviously a relentless worker as he seems to be everywhere all the time.

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

You can same about most of the folks making a living in sports media.   Their skill isn't sports analysis.  They're skilled communicators and self-marketers.   If people didn't read, watch and listen, they wouldn't make money.   

Florio is emphatically not an expert.  But once in a while a guy like Florio will stumble across an interesting piece of information because he's talking to folks inside - or around the periphery of - the NFL all the time.  

Honestly I think this is one of Florio's ONLY advantages when it comes to "reporting" (the other being his knowledge in the law when reporting legal issues. Sometimes when he talks about football I wonder if he just started watching it recently. There are posters right here on the wall with a FAR better understanding of the game, IMO.

There are a slew of problems with journalistic integrity on the site (especially with Florio's pieces).  He consistently second guesses GM moves, player contract decisions, etc, with no special knowledge of what went into the actual decision making. I can barely stand when posters on this site go into the "this is what they should have done" rants. He has personal crusades where he constantly pushes his agendas. Even when I agree with his position, his total lack of professionalism when presenting his takes completely turns me off.

One of the funny (but more egregious) areas is when he calls out other reporters for journalistic problems. I think that's something he should stay FAR away from.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, stuvian said:

Florio's elevation to football expert is the triumph of marketing over knowledge. He knows no more than anyone on this board

He did it on his own and knows the business, which is not nothing. Regardless, he's easy to slag, I guess, but this is a damn good interview. 

5 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

And like anyone on this board could do, he took his fandom, started writing about it, and through hard work and dedication ended up with a very popular football news site and was then offered a TV show. Good for him.

Yep. Spot-on comments.

• Like (+1) 1

I have to disagree. Florio is very fair and was very positive on the Bills last year and during this off-season.

Florio picked Steelers over Bills.  Bills won.  Florio picked Cowboys over Bills.  Bills won.  Florio thinks Diggs overrated and Vikings won the trade.  Simms likes Diggs for Bills and believes it is a fair trade for both teams.  Florio might be fair but he is down on Bills.  It's like death and taxes.  I honestly can't recall last time Florio picked Bills in a game or said something positive about them.

Edited by DCbillsfan

1 hour ago, DCbillsfan said:

Florio picked Steelers over Bills.  Bills won.  Florio picked Cowboys over Bills.  Bills won.  Florio thinks Diggs overrated and Vikings won the trade.  Simms likes Diggs for Bills and believes it is a fair trade for both teams.  Florio might be fair but he is down on Bills.  It's like death and taxes.  I honestly can't recall last time Florio picked Bills in a game or said something positive about them.

You must have really bad luck in terms of when you catch the show. He's had a lot of positive things to say about the Bills.

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

You must have really bad luck in terms of when you catch the show. He's had a lot of positive things to say about the Bills.

I know this wasn't directed to me. But I haven't watched/listened to the shows much,  but I check the site out several times a day.  I have to agree with DCBills on this. He seems to usually doubt/pick against the Bills. He got a bit better in the latter half of last season. That's my general recollection and I could be wrong. 

But that's fine by me. I actually prefer when the Bills are doubted, picked against.  I'm even OK with them being completely ignored. (Though then I jones for new Bills content.)

Plus, as I mentioned earlier, I have no respect or interest for his football knowledge 

56 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I thought those were cigarettes in his ears

Dunno why he wearing them that way. Is that a "thing"? I think they look stupid even when worn correctly. 

Saw a guy today at the grocery store wearing the air pods the exact same way. Maybe it's a thing. 

For the record they looked stupid on this guy, too.