Registering A Trademark

Dante

Has anyone done this? Looking to open a Amazon store and you have to have a registered trademark to do so. There are a lot of options to do it online. Any advice on the best website to use? Or should I even be using an online service? Thanks in advance!

23 minutes ago, Dante said:

Has anyone done this? Looking to open a Amazon store and you have to have a registered trademark to do so. There are a lot of options to do it online. Any advice on the best website to use? Or should I even be using an online service? Thanks in advance!

Only one site to do it  - USPTO.gov where I work.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Only one site to do it  - USPTO.gov where I work.

Nationally, which is what level he needs the trademark for, yes, the USPTO is where all trademarks are registered.

But, if he were only doing business in a single state, he could register w/ that state's secretary of state and save a small amount of money.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dante said:

It has to national Taro but thanks. Thanks as well Limeaid. I'm at the site now.

There's a lot of stuff you can find out about on the USPTO's website and do some basic research on your own.  But there are also a lot of nuances to getting a trademark.  Would highly recommend talking to a lawyer about it.

Also, would be using the TM superscript (you don't use the circles R until it's registered) after the brand name when you refer to whatever your product is.  You can start doing that even before the TM is registered.  Just realize that if somebody else already has that trademark, they'll make you stop using it if you sell enough to get on their radar.

23 minutes ago, Dante said:

I may have to get legal help. Gets very confusing when you have to tell what the goods and services are. Was doing good for a while.

I've done a few and used an attorney every time. It wasn't worth the brain damage to me. 

I was at the company I worked at  around 2000 ( biotech company)and I googled our company name and up came Chivas Regal's  web site that used our company name as a fictious company  name.  Our lawyer sent them a nastygram and they changed it to XXX company.

2 hours ago, Dante said:

@stevestojan can help you.

#smartyjones

Edited by Cripple Creek

10 hours ago, Dante said:

I may have to get legal help. Gets very confusing when you have to tell what the goods and services are. Was doing good for a while.

Ask teef.  If it's amoral and adult tinged, he's probably figured out how to legally do it.  ?

• Haha (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

I used legalzoom.com for a trademark. Mixed results. Price was right.

More important than the trademark--have you done a Limited Liability Corporation (LLC)? This protects you if someone sues your balls off if something bad happens with one of your products. There are many good ones, I used legalzoom for my LLC, it worked fine.