POLL - TSW Mock 2.0 - Who would you take with the 3rd round pick?

Virgil

POLL - TSW Mock 2.0 - Who would you take with the 3rd round pick?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you take with the 3rd round pick?

• John Simpson, G, Clemson
    • Josh Uche, Edge, Michigan
    • Hunter Bryant, TE, Washington
    • Anfernee Jennings, Edge, Alabama
    • Ke'Shawn Vaughn, RB, Vanderbilt
    • Donovan Peoples-Jones, WR, Michigan
    • Jalen Hurts, QB, Oklahoma
    • Jason Strowbridge, DL, UNC
    • Troy Pride Jr, CB, Notre Dame
    • Akeem Davis-Gaither, LB, App State

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

His big game record as a Head Coach is not good. I always has him down as overrated. If you want a coach to take an underachieving bunch and make them competitive ring Jim Harbaugh. If you want a guy who can then take that team onto the next level to win? Fire Jim Harbaugh.  

I agree Gunner.  We had a pretty loaded roster in 2018.  Then we give up 63 points in Columbus with a total meltdown in the second half.  And a month later get smoked by Florida in the Chik Fil A Bowl.  I wanted him fired then.  But he is still in Ann Arbor because our AD is in love w him for some disturbing reason.  Harbaugh is no Bo Schembechler (who he played under) and no Lloyd Carr either.  

On 4/8/2020 at 6:27 PM, Paup 1995MVP said:

I would be very happy with Edge, WR as our top two picks in the draft.  As a big Michigan fan I would be ecstatic if we draft Donovan Peoples Jones and Josh Uche in rounds 2 and 3 somehow.  Both are very talented players and excellent athletes.  They were certainly not the reason that Michigan has underwhelmed the past few years.  Blame that on a QB named Shae and a Head Coach named Jim.  I think both have a lot of upside (especially DPJ).  And their best football should be ahead of them.  Go Blue!  Go Bills.  DPJ is also good at returning punts if he doesn't let the ball just bounce by him, which happened several times at Michigan.

Uche is not a DE in our scheme. We need a DE as Addison andHughes are old, and Murphy is gone after this year.  While I like DPJ we should wait until the 4th round to draft a WR due to the tremendous depth and he may still be there in the 4th round.  

On 4/8/2020 at 11:36 PM, Paup 1995MVP said:

Harbaugh has been a big disappointment.  We didn't hire him to beat Maryland and Northwestern.  Team does not play with a lot of confidence against good teams.  Hopefully things get better this year with Shae Patterson gone.  Need a big time QB to be a big time program.  Our best QB under Harbaugh was Jake Ruddock in 2015 who came in as a 5th year grad transfer from Iowa.  Hopefully McCaffrey or Milton raise the team to a higher level.  

Harbaugh has been just fine. You’re delusional if you think you’re going to compete with the criminals and illiterates that Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson recruit.  Michigan has much high admission standards and that’s not going to change regardless of who the coach is. 

9 minutes ago, freester said:

Uche is not a DE in our scheme. We need a DE as Addison andHughes are old, and Murphy is gone after this year.  While I like DPJ we should wait until the 4th round to draft a WR due to the tremendous depth and he may still be there in the 4th round.  

Harbaugh has been just fine. You’re delusional if you think you’re going to compete with the criminals and illiterates that Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson recruit.  Michigan has much high admission standards and that’s not going to change regardless of who the coach is. 

Disagree on Uche I think in the Bills scheme he is a 9 tech - essentially the Hughes position. But he isn't a starter there year 1 he might take longer to develop. Hughes had the exact same question as I recall when he came out in 2010. People asked if he was a tweener, would he be able to succeed as a defensive end in the NFL and he did have his early struggles in Indianapolis. But it clicked when he arrived here. 

As for Harbaugh - I agree with your post. I don't expect him to be winning National Titles. That isn't a fair standard. But getting blown out time after time by Ohio State, losing 4 bowl games in a row, losing games to Wisconsin and Michigan State and Notre Dame.... that is an expectation.

And my main criticism is his big game record. In Bowl games, Conference Championships and Title games across the NFL and college Jim Harbaugh is 3-8. In the NFL of the three he lost only the last one (to Seattle) did he lose to a more talented team. The NFC title game against the Giants and the Superbowl against the Ravens the 49ers were the more talented team and lost. Jim Harbaugh doesn't win the big games. And the main reason for that is he has no nuance to his coaching style. He is full on intense. It is his only way of coaching. 

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Disagree on Uche I think in the Bills scheme he is a 9 tech - essentially the Hughes position. But he isn't a starter there year 1 he might take longer to develop. Hughes had the exact same question as I recall when he came out in 2010. People asked if he was a tweener, would he be able to succeed as a defensive end in the NFL and he did have his early struggles in Indianapolis. But it clicked when he arrived here. 

As for Harbaugh - I agree with your post. I don't expect him to be winning National Titles. That isn't a fair standard. But getting blown out time after time by Ohio State, losing 4 bowl games in a row, losing games to Wisconsin and Michigan State and Notre Dame.... that is an expectation.

And my main criticism is his big game record. In Bowl games, Conference Championships and Title games across the NFL and college Jim Harbaugh is 3-8. In the NFL of the three he lost only the last one (to Seattle) did he lose to a more talented team. The NFC title game against the Giants and the Superbowl against the Ravens the 49ers were the more talented team and lost. Jim Harbaugh doesn't win the big games. And the main reason for that is he has no nuance to his coaching style. He is full on intense. It is his only way of coaching. 

I guarantee Harbaugh will never lose to Michigan state again but the losses to Notre dame and Wisconsin were tough losses against very good teams.  Harbaugh has never had a good QB at Michigan. Hopefully Mccaffrey will be better than the others. 
  Uche has never played with his hand on the ground. He rushes the passer like Lorax but he can’t cover. I’m not sure he is a good scheme fit. 

7 minutes ago, freester said:

I guarantee Harbaugh will never lose to Michigan state again but the losses to Notre dame and Wisconsin were tough losses against very good teams.  Harbaugh has never had a good QB at Michigan. Hopefully Mccaffrey will be better than the others. 
  Uche has never played with his hand on the ground. He rushes the passer like Lorax but he can’t cover. I’m not sure he is a good scheme fit. 

I know it will take some adjustment for Uche hence I don't think he is an off the bus pass rusher for a team like the Bills. But there are not many 34 defenses in the NFL anymore. It is like 4 or 5 teams I don't think Uche is anywhere near good enough in space to play as a SAM in a 43. So if he is going to have a fit in the NFL to me it has to be as a 9 tech defensive end and he will have to adjust to rushing from a down lineman position. If the Bills took him then as a rookie I think you use him situationally in 3rd and longs when they go to more of a wide nine look and let the edge guys rush standing up more. And I think coming out as I say people were having this exact debate on Jerry Hughes. It didn't click immediately but he got there. 

Even if Harbaugh has a good QB he will lose the big games. It is who he is and it is what he does. I don't think he is a bad coach. He is a turnaround expert. I just don't think he is ever a guy who will be a big game winner. That said I used to say the same about Tom Coughlin and that old dog did learn new tricks at the end of his career and found some nuance to his intensity.  

Edited by GunnerBill