2 QBs that are former #1 overall picks and the Patriots don’t have a QB. Hmm.

17 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’m totally sure about Bill Walsh did nothing without Montana.  McCarthy won a lot of games but imo, he should have won SBs with Rodgers.  People questioned Reid as a coach (stupid B word still).  Think about all the coaches Manning elevated.  Then when he got a potential all time great qb, he won a Sb.

personally, I think coaching is very overrated in the nfl.  If Allen is good, McDermott will be good.  Belichick is a great coach but he has a losing record until Brady.  I think a top 5 Qb matters a ton more than a coach.  Imo, the best coach and he never gets credit for it is Joe Gibbs.  3 SBs with 3 different qbs.  A lot different than riding the same qb to multiple wins. JMO.

My point isn't that it is more Belichick than Brady. My point is I like Belichick (it is the coach in me) and I find it easier to dislike Brady. 

But whatever talent you have the hardest thing in coaching is being a serial winner. Motivating players who have had success to go again and reload and go again every year is really ***** difficult. I tried it and failed. I think it is massively underrated. 

37 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

My point isn't that it is more Belichick than Brady. My point is I like Belichick (it is the coach in me) and I find it easier to dislike Brady. 

But whatever talent you have the hardest thing in coaching is being a serial winner. Motivating players who have had success to go again and reload and go again every year is really ***** difficult. I tried it and failed. I think it is massively underrated. 

But it’s a million times easier when you have the greatest qb ever who is also (while a d bag) as motivated as any Athlete who has ever played.  Brady sets the tone for all the players to follow. 

27 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Similar abilities how?

Yeah, that statement makes no sense.  It’s really based on nothing. 

21 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

But it’s a million times easier when you have the greatest qb ever who is also (while a d bag) as motivated as any Athlete who has ever played.  Brady sets the tone for all the players to follow.

Yea I do think that underplays coaching. 

If Belichick gets either QB then I would suspect him to go after a TE or 2. If it were Winston I wonder if ole Billy Boy would go after OJ Howard. 2 other names that wouldn’t surprise me would be David Njoku and Evan Engram. This Covid 19 is slowing everything down but as soon as there is a let up just watch Belichick make some moves.

33 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

If Belichick gets either QB then I would suspect him to go after a TE or 2. If it were Winston I wonder if ole Billy Boy would go after OJ Howard. 2 other names that wouldn’t surprise me would be David Njoku and Evan Engram. This Covid 19 is slowing everything down but as soon as there is a let up just watch Belichick make some moves.

if BB can cheat the salary cap rules like he does every NFL rule each game week then I say yes your fairy tales can come true,

Folks say Stidham was miscast in the Auburn offense.  True or not, he won't be asked to play outside himself with the Pats.  Belichick and McDaniels will build the offense around Stiddy's strengths while avoiding his weaknesses.  I think he'll be the starter and I think the Pats will put up points.  

5 hours ago, Doc said:

With a rookie year stat-line of 2 for 4 for 14 yards, no TDs and a pick-six, what's not to love?

That's a really small sample size and tells us nothing.  Word out of Boston is that Stiddy looked solid in practice last year and understands Belichick's concepts.  

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

Folks say Stidham was miscast in the Auburn offense.  True or not, he won't be asked to play outside himself with the Pats.  Belichick and McDaniels will build the offense around Stiddy's strengths while avoiding his weaknesses.  I think he'll be the starter and I think the Pats will put up points.  

That's a really small sample size and tells us nothing.  Word out of Boston is that Stiddy looked solid in practice last year and understands Belichick's concepts.  

Anything is possible.  I just don't see him as a good NFL QB and they still have deficiencies at WR.

8 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Don’t get comfortable, here comes Belichick! Nothing is worse than false confidence/security. If anyone thinks that Belichick is just gonna roll over than they got another thing coming. Newton and Winston, similar abilities and both available.  I’m not buying the Stidham talk, expect Belichick to reinvent that offense. Nobody loves veterans that want to prove something more than Belichick.

Black qbs in heavily racist Boston...get the popcorn

6 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Winston to Pats would be our best case scenario.

Newton would be our worst case.

I agree with Winston but disagree with Newton- he will never be great again because he can not run like he used to run and therefore is only a mediocre QB.

8 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Don’t get comfortable, here comes Belichick! Nothing is worse than false confidence/security. If anyone thinks that Belichick is just gonna roll over than they got another thing coming. Newton and Winston, similar abilities and both available.  I’m not buying the Stidham talk, expect Belichick to reinvent that offense. Nobody loves veterans that want to prove something more than Belichick.

Here’s a crazy and somewhat scary idea.  New England was rumoured to be interested in Josh Rosen in 2018.  Some people had mocked them making a big move to trade up into the Top 5 and draft him.  

Would Belichick consider trading a 4th round (or less) to Miami to see if Rosen has anything left?  If he doesn’t, he always has Stidham.  

My money's on Belichek/Pats with at least 10 wins and Stidham being good. This is a good read, especially about him being in the wrong system at Auburn. He's basically what you expect (and I love) from a Belichek drafted player.... hard worker, real smart, team first... qualitative strengths first. How many first rounder QBs hit the quantitative stuff and everyoen falls in love with the TDs, running yards, height, hand width, college wins, etc. And how many of them, we come to find out, were lazy, rather dumb, and selfish and the physical tools and numbers couldn't help them?

Cry in your beer, I don't think this team falls of the face of the AFC East with BB and McDaniels. BB is a warlock and I'd be stunned if they didn't win the division. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2885053-replacing-tom-brady

I can not see them signing starting QBs who cannot keep their mouths shut and not due interviews and books post career about their cheating.

Tommy boy won't talk about it post career because it reflect as badly as him as those Chicago White Sox baseball players banned from Hall of Fame.

NE can pretty easily create cap room. Hightower, Cannon, Sanu, Butler all have low deadcaps. Oh, and Thuney is a trade candidate - Since they didnt pay Brady 25 mill - they can very quickly move to the top 3 in terms of cap space available. And it is not that there are readymade starting jobs available for Cam and Jameis. They could do a lot worse than sign up with Belichick for a huge NE discount.

nice post OP

8 hours ago, MJS said:

Belichick wants a guy to come in and run the system. The system is short to intermediate precise throws and taking care of the football. Don't take risks, just take what the defense gives you. Don't try to do too much.

Does that sound anything like Newton or Winston? They are two square pegs that do not fit into the round hole of NE's offense.

But Belichick is the most adaptible guy out there - the guy has yoyoed between a 3-4 and a 4-3 effortlessly. I dont see Jameis and Cam style being different from Brady's as a constraint.

The only thing giving me pause about the Pats' chances this season is that I have a sneaky suspicion, they might Tank for Trevor. We will know for sure  if Belichick trades this year's draft capital / Thuney for next year's draft capital.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

In what way are Cam and Winston similar abilities?

They are nothing alike.

They're black, obviously.  :rolleyes:

Yeah - just a quick check-in for folks who don't know - Jameis Winston is NOT a running QB - NEVER has been.  Not at FSU, not now.  He's also not nearly as big as Cam.

Now I suppose if the OP meant "they have similar abilities" in that they both currently play as if they had DIS-abilities, he may be on to something.

I wouldn't sign either for free.  Maybe, just maybe Winston on the off-chance his Lasik helps with his INTs.

Cam is done.  He's broken and he's crazy - he should find a home near his WR spirit-animal AB and toss footballs with him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

NE can pretty easily create cap room. Hightower, Cannon, Sanu, Butler all have low deadcaps. Oh, and Thuney is a trade candidate - Since they didnt pay Brady 25 mill - they can very quickly move to the top 3 in terms of cap space available. And it is not that there are readymade starting jobs available for Cam and Jameis. They could do a lot worse than sign up with Belichick for a huge NE discount.

nice post OP

But Belichick is the most adaptible guy out there - the guy has yoyoed between a 3-4 and a 4-3 effortlessly. I dont see Jameis and Cam style being different from Brady's as a constraint.

Except they won't have nearly the same weapons on offense that they did when they were putting up yards and points.