2 QBs that are former #1 overall picks and the Patriots don’t have a QB. Hmm.

41 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If you could trade and extend though very easy to bring that cap hit down. I agree they will need to keep a good Oline but I think they have talent there.

Thuney's going to want an average of $15M.  The days of players taking a discount there are over.  If they trade him, it will be for a later rounder, removes their best OL and that hurts the new QB.  As does the loss of DS.  If they extend him, his cap hit comes down maybe half.  Not enough to get a guy Newton or Winston unless they take a severe discount.

6 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I actually think they are content with Jarrett Stidham as their starter and Hoyer as the backup.  I also think they’ll draft a QB to develop/compete.

With a rookie year stat-line of 2 for 4 for 14 yards, no TDs and a pick-six, what's not to love?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

the pats have zero cap space. you can always make some space but these guys would need to come cheap

1 hour ago, Clemfield2622 said:

No way he touches either guy with a 10 foot pole.

My thought that they both have something to prove and I can see one of them signing for a lower amount to prove he's still a starter in this league at QB, that he can play at a very high level, and have an opportunity to play with one of the greatest coaches of all time.  

Bellichick has taken players like Randy Moss, Corey Dillon, and even Antonio Brown, and worked with them to have them play his way.  If he thinks he can win with them, he'll sign them.  If he signs them, it will be for what he wants and he will cut them at the first sign of trouble, i.e. AB.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

With a rookie year stat-line of 2 for 4 for 14 yards, no TDs and a pick-six, what's not to love?

And Tom Brady was 1/3 for 6 yards during his entire rookie season.  What’s your point?  Unknown commodity.  

It has been reported that the Patriots have been encouraged about what they have seen from Stidham in practice.  I don’t know man...

20 minutes ago, Doc said:

Thuney's going to want an average of $15M.  The days of players taking a discount there are over.  If they trade him, it will be for a later rounder, removes their best OL and that hurts the new QB.  As does the loss of DS.  If they extend him, his cap hit comes down maybe half.  Not enough to get a guy Newton or Winston unless they take a severe discount.

I am not sure he is their best OL frankly. Shaq Mason is. But Thuney is good and I can understand them wanting to keep him. I don't think Newton or Winston are options there anyway. Andy Dalton is the way to go and he is very gettable and easy to get under contract even with a restricted cap because of his current contract status.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Winston to Pats would be our best case scenario.

Newton would be our worst case.

The Patriots currently have approximately 2.1 million in salary cap space.  Unless there are some major re-structures/releases/trades, I doubt Newton or Winston are realistic options for the patsies.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

The Patriots currently have approximately 2.1 million in salary cap space.  Unless there are some major re-structures/releases/trades, I doubt Newton or Winston are realistic options for the patsies.

Oh for sure, neither option is possible. Was just playing along with the post.

22 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I actually think they are content with Jarrett Stidham as their starter and Hoyer as the backup.  I also think they’ll draft a QB to develop/compete.

I tend to agree.  They both have been in the Pats*** system.  People always reference how Cassel stepped in and excelled during the 2008 season but he was drafted in 2005 and thus had been in the system for 3 full seasons.

2 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Don’t get comfortable, here comes Belichick! Nothing is worse than false confidence/security. If anyone thinks that Belichick is just gonna roll over than they got another thing coming. Newton and Winston, similar abilities and both available.  I’m not buying the Stidham talk, expect Belichick to reinvent that offense. Nobody loves veterans that want to prove something more than Belichick.

Are either considered cerebral QBs? Billacheat likes thinkers and good decision makers over athletes and gun slingers. I don’t think you have payed attention to anything BB has done over the last 20 years

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, WorstTEever81 said:

Are either considered cerebral QBs? Billacheat likes thinkers and good decision makers over athletes and gun slingers. I don’t think you have payed attention to anything BB has done over the last 20 years

He's had only one QB over the last 20 years, who happened to be the best ever, from that sample size I don't think we should assume he's unwilling to utilize players with different capabilities. 

Edited by CBD

29 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

And Tom Brady was 1/3 for 6 yards during his entire rookie season.  What’s your point?  Unknown commodity.  

It has been reported that the Patriots have been encouraged about what they have seen from Stidham in practice.  I don’t know man...

Seriously?  You're comparing him to Brady?

24 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

There's a very easy way to bring in a veteran QB like Cam.  Sign him to a 2 year contract with a low 2020 base salary.  Have a big roster bonus on March 1st.  Work into the contract that if he reaches certain milestones, his contract for 2021, including the roster bonus become guaranteed.  Then they either pay him the $ or restructure in 2021. This is Cam betting on himself, but with his injury history he will have to sign a contract with a low salary & a lot of incentives, or something like I've proposed.  

I don't see any Super Bowl contender seriously considering Winston.  He, like Mariotta, will have to go the Tannehill career rehabilitation path.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

Seriously?  You're comparing him to Brady?

I’m sorry.  You knew Brady was going to be a HOF’er after his rookie season??  That’s amazing man!  Seriously!

I suspect you’re in the wrong line of work if you predicted his career trajectory after his rookie season where he was 1/3 for 6 yards.

10 minutes ago, CBD said:

He's had only one QB over the last 20 years, who happened to be the best ever, from that sample size I don't think we should assume he's unwilling to utilize players with different capabilities. 

There was a thread earlier this week of what BB looks for at each position. And who did he use when TB was out? Matt Cassel. It’s not assumption. 

3 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Don’t get comfortable, here comes Belichick! Nothing is worse than false confidence/security. If anyone thinks that Belichick is just gonna roll over than they got another thing coming. Newton and Winston, similar abilities and both available.  I’m not buying the Stidham talk, expect Belichick to reinvent that offense. Nobody loves veterans that want to prove something more than Belichick.

#Tanking4TrevorLawrence

I would actually like to see Billy B take on Jamis. Jamis has insane ability at QB but I think his vision and lack of discipline contributes to his insanely high turnover rate and boneheaded plays. He had his vision corrected and coming to the Pats he could work on a lot of his decision making by being coached up a bit in a system that would work against his weaknesses. Cam is damaged goods at this point and is better off pulling an Andrew Luck and taking a year to get healthy and mentally right. But Jamis doesn't have a major injury history, he is still young and is better than any QB on their roster. 

• Like (+1) 1

Their are a bunch of closet Brady and Belly fans here by the looks of some of these posts... shameful at best...

Go Bills!!!