Aiyuk undergoes surgery: could he fall to us?

ny33

1 hour ago, gobills404 said:

Needing to add depth doesn't mean we're bad at running the ball. Saying "nice try" doesn't make you sound intelligent btw, it makes you sound like a smug prick.

Where did anyone say we're bad at running the ball?  We're ok, but could be a whole lot better, and having a complement to Devin Singletary who is a different style (i.e. short yardage) and size runner will go a long way to supplementing the running game.  But what do I know since I apparently don't use critical thinking skills (as insinuated in your earlier post) and am a smug prick.

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

I love Singletary, but if Akers is there at 54, I am taking him with no questions asked...............

which is due to the fact that Singletary can be an every down back, he can't handle 45 touches a game.

The Bills do not have a back up RB on the roster they trust and it would be hard to trust a 5th/6th round pick to come in right away and be a productive back.

The Bills got Singletary in the 3rd round and I expect them to bring another back with their 3rd round pick at worst, but Akers has to be the guy at 54 if he is there.

This is logical and I'd be happy with another RB in the 3rd round.  The position is very thin and they don't need another 36 year old FA vet on his last legs.

3 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Allen didn't "lead the rushing attack", he had 510 yards and 4.7 YPC (mostly on scrambles) compared to Singletarys 775 yards and 5.1 ypc. Those 2 returning players together averaged 4.94 YPC, which would've been 4th in the league. If you're gonna ignore the fact that Gore torpedoed our team YPC last season then at least use Allen's 2019 numbers and not his 2018 numbers.

You are correct on the yardage discrepancy re; 2018 vs 2019. 

Gore was a waste of space, but he wouldn't have been nearly AS bad if the offensive line was able to open some holes. They got absolutely manhandled in short yardage situations and that remains a concern. Most of Singletary's yards came as a result of misdirection. 

There's a whole lot of improvement needed in terms of traditionally running the football.

Also a whole lot of attention needs to be paid to what we do WRT to the defensive end situation.

No organization worth their salt would ever become complacent in terms of how a unit performed last season. Teams need to CONSTANTLY infuse talent across the board in order to sustain succcess.

I'm glad the Bills spent their first round pick on a wide receiver because it was certainly an area of need. But I don't want to see them become Matt Millen's Lions dedicating a disproportionate amount of resources to one position. 

If a WR is BPA, go for it. Otherwise, there's plenty of other areas in which the team could use a talent/youth infusion.

Edited by LSHMEAB

23 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Are you going to get that at #54??   Remember that he might be the 16th or 26th WR taken.  At that pick, he is going to be EITHER

• a try hard guy from a minor conference who put up wower numbers but never played against top notch DB's.  or
  • a physical freak, who needs a couple years of coaching up and fingers crossed that he doesn't have an emotional or learning problem or
  • a guy who was seriously injured and who is questionable if he will recover. Anyway he will be starting late in a season without a lot of training time.

Yes, lighting hits every once in a while.  But are you expecting this guy to push for a #1 or #2 spot in 2021.  That doesn't make sense.

=======================================================================================

NEW POST below

I see a lot of posters trashing all our backup receivers.  our #4, #5 and #6 are just a pile of dog doo-doo. 

Somehow we got into the playoffs with these guys starting.  How did that happen?

For your first part of the post, I'm not sure I understand.  Are you saying that 15 WR's will be taken before our 2nd round pick and 25 will be drafted before our 3rd round pick?

I'm thinking there will be somewhere between 3-6 WR's drafted in the 1st round.  And since we're a little farther than 1/2 way down the first round I highly doubt that 15WR's will be taken before pick 54.  15/54 = 28% of the draft pick will be WR before our 2nd round pick?

I would think around buffalo's 2nd round pick, it would be around the 8-10th best WR... Again, this is supposedly a very deep WR class. 

I think Beane has set us up so we can take BPA at 54.  So, if it's a WR, then so be it... BUT there have been LOTS of 2nd round WR's that were every good / elite.  Just look at last year's draft and Metcalf falling...

As for our 4,5,6 WRs being doo doo and us making the playoffs?    Well, our backup QB, Punter, and our RB's except for Singletary were doo-doo and we made the playoffs...  I see no correlation between making the playoffs and our 4,5,6 WR's.

I see some of our posters saying that there are 15 WR worthy of a 1st or high second round pick.  I agree that about 10 will be taken before our #54 pick.  And no, I don't think that you can get  somebody there who will start in Buffalo  in 2020 or 2021. It is a luxury pick compare to RB, CB and DE.

Yes we can upgrade at punter. Our backup QB only saw limited action and they will bring in competition for the 3rd string guy. Nobody has two starting QB's in the nfl.

The 4,5,6 wide receivers  DO play a lot and this year Diggs will be pushing last year's #3 to the bench.  They are just fine for a #4 and for backups.

Running back is the position that is done by committee in the NFL on most teams. We have ONE RB, who is not a weapon in the passing game, who has limited speed, and is not big enough to knock over people near the goal line.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/8/2020 at 10:03 AM, ny33 said:

I personally think that, between Foster, Duke, and McKenzie, we have a solid back end of the roster, and don’t need to take a prospect as I believe one of them could become a solid third option over the next year or two. They’re also better than the back end of most WRs rooms, though obviously weren’t good enough as 2nd options on the outside last year. 

Aiyuk could fall to our pick in the 2nd or even be available in the early third as part of a trade up. He’s a good returner and could let us cut Roberts, keeping developmental WRs at the 4th and 5th (or even 6th) spots. I’d love to get the BPA at o-line (maybe John Simpson), RB, or “Buffalo nickel” with our 2nd, and trade up in the third if he falls. If his injury requires recovery time, we could stash him on IR to return and see how the returning backup WRs do. 

From what i have been reading they may want to bring in a WR from the draft to get them up to speed because Beasley & Brown will be in their 30's soon so if their production drops off they will have someone in the pipe line .

I really hope that they get like a Chase Claypool in the second & in the later rounds pick up the back out of Memphis Antonio Gibson he seems to be a lot like Derick Henry as far as build & style which wouldn't be a bad fit opposite of Singletary .

20 hours ago, FLFan said:

True enough, but most 4/5/6 receivers are fringe players, by definition.  That is why it makes no sense to draft a WR high to be at best your fourth option.  There will no doubt be much better value available for the Bills in rounds 2 and 3, and perhaps 4. 

Right.  If this is such a wonderful draft for wide receivers that we can get a starter to push Beasley or Brown to the bench,,, well than, lets get the high quality backup in the 3rd or 4th round !

On 4/8/2020 at 4:01 PM, Doc said:

From what I recall, it was a perfect pass.  It was very disappointing to see him muff it.

Footage I watched showed PI by the defender, Dukes arm was being pulled back from the ball. I sure wish he overcame that though, we indeed would have won the game and DW would be as close to a lock as he could be for a roster spot, but alas that was not the case.

On 4/11/2020 at 7:27 PM, gobills404 said:

Or maybe they used their critical thinking skills to realize we're already good at running the ball and we already play good defense and have nothing to show for it.

Gee,  we rushed for 2054 yards (#8) and team #18 rushed for 1703 yards.    We beat out NE by 22 yards a game.   Teams are pretty closely bunched for running yards. Running yards when you are pbablaying conseratively are easy to come by.

in edit... Oh I forgot to add that our QB Allen had more than half the  yards from scrimmage of  Singeltary.  (and Allen never passed the ball to himself)

Singletary            969 yards

Gore                     699 yards

Allen                    510 yards

McKenszie         303 yards

So our friggin quarterback and jet-sweep guy had about as many yards as Singletary.    GET A friggin clue !!!!!!.

cf: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2019.htm

{{edit:     sorry to be so strident, it is the Scotch and isolation speaking}}

Edited by maryland-bills-fan
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Here's the deal; none of us truly know if Allen is going to emerge as a top 5-10 QB.

So we can add all the weapons on Earth and there's a chance he'll plateau as a middle of the pack guy. 

I feel like the receiving core is probably top 10 in the league right now. The offensive line is good enough in pass pro. The passing game is going to sink or swim with the QB. Knox is going to be a real wild card. He's got a chance to be a special tight end if he can fix the dropsies. I'm a Knox guy so I feel good about his chances.

So let's say JA plateau's and doesn't become the guy we all want him to be; Well, the 49'ers just reached and blew a SB with a middle of the pack QB. I don't want to rely exclusively on Allen's progress going into next season. 

If you bolster the RB position and OL (especially in terms of run blocking) and continue to add to the pass rush, this team can still win a lot of games even if we don't have an All Pro QB.

The ultimate objective for Beane and McDermott is to win football games and they've done an excellent job thus far maximizing win totals. Whether or not they win a SB will probably depend a great deal on JA, but I want to see them in the mix. If you make sure the other areas of the team are STRONG, you mitigate the risk at QB and essentially build in a contingency plan. 

Don't care how they win. Just win.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 4/11/2020 at 9:33 PM, njbuff said:

Singletary can absolutely be an every down back. (Ever hear of Maurice Jones-Drew, who was a darn good RB with exactly the same size as DS).

But he did hurt his hammy without anyone touching him against the Giants.

With that said, the Bills need a better back up RB they can trust cause Singletary did come up limp in 2019.

I think the Bills are not looking for a  backup but are looking for a RB#1A.  Singletary has some limitations- not a natural pass catcher,  not enough speed to get around the corner, break away or scare people if he lines up as a  WR.   There are 4-5 RB's in this draft who (I think) are better than him for sure, and we might get lucky and snag one of them at #54 or with a slight moveup.  That would give us a stronger team.

Other teams are aware of these guys and they may all be gone by our #54.  Scheiss !!   There are another 3-4 guys who are about as good as Singletary and also offer complimentary skills to him.  If we are in that situation a whole bunch of other things can happen. We can take a different position and pick up a RB1B in the 3rd, we could trade down (I say for a higher pick in 2021) and pick the best of them up,  there are a lot of options.   I would like to get a very good, almost #2 WR type RB to help out our WR and Allen.  Plan B would be to get the complimentary type guy.  Bellycheck used 4-5 RB's and the evil genus mixed and matched them for each opponent. Evil genus.