Aiyuk undergoes surgery: could he fall to us?

ny33

19 minutes ago, Pete said:

Aiyuk is who I wanted the Bills to draft at 22.  If somehow he slides to 54,  hallelujah.  But Aiyuk goes in 1st IMO.

I would like to add RB, WR with first two picks, in either order, trade ups possibly. If we could get two 2nd round picks, we could get a RB and WR who both would contribute much to offense immediately, chances are.   Or if we could get 3-5 top 100 picks.  QB I would look at too.  Jalen Hurts in particular

I agree with the first 2 picks.

I want a RB that can contribute right away.  But I'm not sure a WR would contribute immediately.  I just want one because it's a great WR year, and we need to start planning behind Brown and Bease- they're not young.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/8/2020 at 2:25 PM, hjnick said:

I think you are missing the point on why we would draft a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round this year.  Supposedly, the WR talent level is very deep this year.

I'm not looking for a WR to be 3, 4, or 5 this year, I'm looking for him to be #1 or #2 next year (or at least compete with those guys).

Are you going to get that at #54??   Remember that he might be the 16th or 26th WR taken.  At that pick, he is going to be EITHER

• a try hard guy from a minor conference who put up wower numbers but never played against top notch DB's.  or
  • a physical freak, who needs a couple years of coaching up and fingers crossed that he doesn't have an emotional or learning problem or
  • a guy who was seriously injured and who is questionable if he will recover. Anyway he will be starting late in a season without a lot of training time.

Yes, lighting hits every once in a while.  But are you expecting this guy to push for a #1 or #2 spot in 2021.  That doesn't make sense.

17 hours ago, Doc said:

Don't take a RB in the 2nd.  Devin might get all fat and start doing drugs...

Closet Miami fan.

17 hours ago, SWATeam said:

I agree with the first 2 picks.

I want a RB that can contribute right away.  But I'm not sure a WR would contribute immediately.  I just want one because it's a great WR year, and we need to start planning behind Brown and Bease- they're not young.

That is called reaching.

=======================================================================================

NEW POST below

I see a lot of posters trashing all our backup receivers.  our #4, #5 and #6 are just a pile of dog doo-doo. 

Somehow we got into the playoffs with these guys starting.  How did that happen?

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

3 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Are you going to get that at #54??   Remember that he might be the 16th or 26th WR taken.  At that pick, he is going to be EITHER

• a try hard guy from a minor conference who put up wower numbers but never played against top notch DB's.  or
  • a physical freak, who needs a couple years of coaching up and fingers crossed that he doesn't have an emotional or learning problem or
  • a guy who was seriously injured and who is questionable if he will recover. Anyway he will be starting late in a season without a lot of training time.

Yes, lighting hits every once in a while.  But are you expecting this guy to push for a #1 or #2 spot in 2021.  That doesn't make sense.

Closet Miami fan.

That is called reaching.

=======================================================================================

NEW POST below

I see a lot of posters trashing all our backup receivers.  our #4, #5 and #6 are just a pile of dog doo-doo. 

Somehow we got into the playoffs with these guys starting.  How did that happen?

We lost in the Playoffs because none of our WRs could make a play.  Honorable mention to the defense inexplicably melting.  It was painfully obvious, watching them, and then watching the WRs on other teams, what we had.  

-A high level #2 as our #1

-A pretty good slot as our #2 

-A small, speedy gadget player as our #3

OR

-Duke, who proved to be a back end roster WR as our #3

Who knows what the deal is with Foster, and Roberts is a KR/PR who is emergency WR depth

Id have zero issue if Buffalo took a WR in the 2nd or 3rd Round because I do not ever want to see circumstance arise where Josh Allen has to throw to those guys in order to beat good teams.  

The playoffs were a harsh reality check, and Diggs was the reaction our FO had to that.  That clearly shows you how they felt as well. 

Edited by SCBills

On 4/8/2020 at 5:23 PM, Troll Toll said:

One of my absolute favorite movies!

I just watched the “Final Cut” a few days ago while social distancing. Awesome movie. And Rutger was awesome in the whole final sequence as he hunts down Deckard. 

Sean Young was stunning. 

Edited by BuffaloBob

1 hour ago, BuffaloBob said:

I just watched the “Final Cut” a few days ago while social distancing. Awesome movie. And Rutger was awesome in the whole final sequence as he hunts down Deckard. 

Sean Young was stunning. 

I’ve been meaning to watch it during this stay at home deal, I probably will in the next week or two. It also has a tremendous soundtrack!

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/8/2020 at 11:13 AM, Bangarang said:

He won’t be available.

And how does one come to the conclusion that Foster, Duke and McKenzie are better than the back half of most WR rooms? Foster and Duke are fringe NFL players. 

True enough, but most 4/5/6 receivers are fringe players, by definition.  That is why it makes no sense to draft a WR high to be at best your fourth option.  There will no doubt be much better value available for the Bills in rounds 2 and 3, and perhaps 4. 

On 4/8/2020 at 9:13 AM, Bangarang said:

He won’t be available.

And how does one come to the conclusion that Foster, Duke and McKenzie are better than the back half of most WR rooms? Foster and Duke are fringe NFL players. 

I would say they're middle of the road in terms of back end receivers.

We're pretty set at receiver right now and we've got an entire roster to bolster.

What we're essentially talking about is taking a WR with our first AND second round picks. On the surface, that is not a good allocation of resources. If some stud were to fall to us in the second, they'd have to consider it; but this notion of building a Madden style receiving core is a little over the top.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I would say they're middle of the road in terms of back end receivers.

We're pretty set at receiver right now and we've got an entire roster to bolster.

What we're essentially talking about is taking a WR with our first AND second round picks. On the surface, that is not a good allocation of resources. If some stud were to fall to us in the second, they'd have to consider it; but this notion of building a Madden style receiving core is a little over the top.

As I'm sure you at least suspect, there are a number of posters who think teams don't need to run the ball or play defense.  Sad but true.

• Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

As I'm sure you at least suspect, there are a number of posters who think teams don't need to run the ball or play defense.  Sad but true.

Right. I think what happened is that the position was so bad in 2017 and 2018 that they've gotten a little carried away. 

The WR unit is pretty solid. Let's not get obsessed with any one position. Need to run the ball, play defense, get after the QB, protect the QB, all of the things that make for a complete football team ready to win a Championship. 

The Chiefs are an anomaly; Mahomes is a world class QB and their "weapons" are really, really good.

We obviously have no idea if Josh Allen will ever reach that level, so we should be building a football TEAM. 

The Pats won 6 SB's without a Madden level receiving core. There is more than one way to skin a cat, and the focus should always remain on a well balanced team.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Or maybe they used their critical thinking skills to realize we're already good at running the ball and we already play good defense and have nothing to show for it.

5 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Or maybe they used their critical thinking skills to realize we're already good at running the ball and we already play good defense and have nothing to show for it.

I don't think I'd say they had a good run game; outside of JA, they couldn't run for a first down on 3rd and short to save their lives.

They were 8th in total rushing, largely because Allen ran for 631 yards. They were slightly below average at 4.4 YPC, once again, largely because Allen averaged 7.1 YPC. I don't know about you, but I don't want the QB leading the rushing attack.

If we're talking about lining up and running the football, there was a lot to be desired last season. 

21 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I don't think I'd say they had a good run game; outside of JA, they couldn't run for a first down on 3rd and short to save their lives.

They were 8th in total rushing, largely because Allen ran for 631 yards. They were slightly below average at 4.4 YPC, once again, largely because Allen averaged 7.1 YPC. I don't know about you, but I don't want the QB leading the rushing attack.

If we're talking about lining up and running the football, there was a lot to be desired last season. 

Allen didn't "lead the rushing attack", he had 510 yards and 4.7 YPC (mostly on scrambles) compared to Singletarys 775 yards and 5.1 ypc. Those 2 returning players together averaged 4.94 YPC, which would've been 4th in the league. If you're gonna ignore the fact that Gore torpedoed our team YPC last season then at least use Allen's 2019 numbers and not his 2018 numbers.

1 hour ago, gobills404 said:

Right, with all the depth we have behind Devin Singletary, who is not an every down back.  Nice try.

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

The Chiefs are an anomaly; Mahomes is a world class QB and their "weapons" are really, really good.

The Chiefs also started playing some good defense in the second half of the season.  The early part, they struggled, but Steve Spagnolo got them in gear and they were very good throughout the late season to post season.  Of course Mahomes and that offense put up some big numbers; he's going to be tough to defend against going forward.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Right, with all the depth we have behind Devin Singletary, who is not an every down back.  Nice try.

Needing to add depth doesn't mean we're bad at running the ball. Saying "nice try" doesn't make you sound intelligent btw, it makes you sound like a smug prick.

26 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

The Chiefs also started playing some good defense in the second half of the season.  The early part, they struggled, but Steve Spagnolo got them in gear and they were very good throughout the late season to post season.  Of course Mahomes and that offense put up some big numbers; he's going to be tough to defend against going forward.

Singletary can absolutely be an every down back. (Ever hear of Maurice Jones-Drew, who was a darn good RB with exactly the same size as DS).

But he did hurt his hammy without anyone touching him against the Giants.

With that said, the Bills need a better back up RB they can trust cause Singletary did come up limp in 2019.

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Right. I think what happened is that the position was so bad in 2017 and 2018 that they've gotten a little carried away. 

The WR unit is pretty solid. Let's not get obsessed with any one position. Need to run the ball, play defense, get after the QB, protect the QB, all of the things that make for a complete football team ready to win a Championship. 

We obviously have no idea if Josh Allen will ever reach that level, so we should be building a football TEAM. 

The Pats won 6 SB's without a Madden level receiving core. There is more than one way to skin a cat, and the focus should always remain on a well balanced team.

The focus should be on accumulating as many talented players as possible. If a WR is the highest rated player on our board when it’s our time to pick then I say trust your scouting and take him. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Singletary can absolutely be an every down back. (Ever hear of Maurice Jones-Drew, who was a darn good RB with exactly the same size as DS).

But he did hurt his hammy without anyone touching him against the Giants.

With that said, the Bills need a better back up RB they can trust cause Singletary did come up limp in 2019.

I think making Singletary an all down back, or pretty much any RB an all down back, isn't the best idea.  For one, RBs take a beating; and two, it would be nice to have a different size and style RB for various situations, such as a Chris Henry type back for short yardage.  I don't see Singletary as a do-it-all back.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I think making Singletary an all down back, or pretty much any RB an all down back, isn't the best idea.  For one, RBs take a beating; and two, it would be nice to have a different size and style RB for various situations, such as a Chris Henry type back for short yardage.  I don't see Singletary as a do-it-all back.

I love Singletary, but if Akers is there at 54, I am taking him with no questions asked...............

which is due to the fact that Singletary can be an every down back, he can't handle 45 touches a game.

The Bills do not have a back up RB on the roster they trust and it would be hard to trust a 5th/6th round pick to come in right away and be a productive back.

The Bills got Singletary in the 3rd round and I expect them to bring another back with their 3rd round pick at worst, but Akers has to be the guy at 54 if he is there.