Aiyuk undergoes surgery: could he fall to us?

ny33

I personally think that, between Foster, Duke, and McKenzie, we have a solid back end of the roster, and don’t need to take a prospect as I believe one of them could become a solid third option over the next year or two. They’re also better than the back end of most WRs rooms, though obviously weren’t good enough as 2nd options on the outside last year. 

Aiyuk could fall to our pick in the 2nd or even be available in the early third as part of a trade up. He’s a good returner and could let us cut Roberts, keeping developmental WRs at the 4th and 5th (or even 6th) spots. I’d love to get the BPA at o-line (maybe John Simpson), RB, or “Buffalo nickel” with our 2nd, and trade up in the third if he falls. If his injury requires recovery time, we could stash him on IR to return and see how the returning backup WRs do. 

• Like (+1) 1

Duke went through waivers last year and nobody picked him up. Foster did his first year and nobody picked him up. McKenzie was just cut and nobody picked him up. I don't see evidence that those three are considered to be a solid "back end".

I like McKenzie for his special teams ability and his speed on gadget plays. Honestly I wouldn't even notice if Foster and Duke were gone.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 7

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Duke went through waivers last year and nobody picked him up. Foster did his first year and nobody picked him up. McKenzie was just cut and nobody picked him up. I don't see evidence that those three are considered to be a solid "back end".

I like McKenzie for his special teams ability and his speed on gadget plays. Honestly I wouldn't even notice if Foster and Duke were gone.

McK barely played on STs.  And his entire career still isn't as productive as what Foster's was in the 2018.  And while Foster was put on waiver prior to his rookie season, he hasn't been since, unlike the other guys.

13 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

That would be spectacular. I’d be shocked if he gets by the Packers though.

I'm still predicting a run on WRs at the top of the 2nd.  A lot of teams at the top of the 1st won't be going WR.

• Like (+1) 2

Why draft a guy who just had surgery?  Especially if its a Sports Hernia type procedure.  (remember the legendary Kolbe Listenbee from TCU-that never worked out)  And especially with the shortened off season team activities.  There are many other good skill players that will be available that are healthy going into the draft.  

And you really can't be serious when you say that Foster Duke and McKenzie are a solid back end of the WR group.  Foster has a whole lot to prove.  The guy caught 3 passes last season.  He looked lost on the field.  Duke isn't bad but he has a lot of work to do to be part of the mix on a regular basis.  And I like McKenzie as a gadget guy, but not a true WR.  I am not sure how much upside any of the 3 really have.  But we can always hope.

And explain to me why so many are gung ho about the "Big Nickel" player on our defense.  Do other teams use this so called player?  I don't think that is what has been missing from our team under McDermott.  How is Dugger or Chinn going to make us a better Super Bowl Contender?  I think offense has been missing a whole lot more.  

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Why draft a guy who just had surgery?  Especially if its a Sports Hernia type procedure.  (remember the legendary Kolbe Listenbee from TCU-that never worked out)  And especially with the shortened off season team activities.  There are many other good skill players that will be available that are healthy going into the draft.  

And you really can't be serious when you say that Foster Duke and McKenzie are a solid back end of the WR group.  Foster has a whole lot to prove.  The guy caught 3 passes last season.  He looked lost on the field.  Duke isn't bad but he has a lot of work to do to be part of the mix on a regular basis.  And I like McKenzie as a gadget guy, but not a true WR.  I am not sure how much upside any of the 3 really have.  But we can always hope.

And explain to me why so many are gung ho about the "Big Nickel" player on our defense.  Do other teams use this so called player?  I don't think that is what has been missing from our team under McDermott.  How is Dugger or Chinn going to make us a better Super Bowl Contender?  I think offense has been missing a whole lot more.  

Agree with everything you say about WRs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

Generally, I think, if a position group is considered especially deep- teams wait and fill other shallower needs first.  I think we can still get a first round WR talent at the end of round 2

Judging by what I've seen in past drafts, the deeper positions go at the top of the 2nd because teams believe they're getting 1st round value in the 2nd and don't want to wait and miss out.

I always get cynical when somebody says that there will be  2 or 3 times the number of players at a position THIS YEAR compared to other years.   I wonder if that is a herd mentality or experts quoting experts to build up a false narrative that everyone agrees on.   You might think that players would jockey the year they made themselves available in order to get in the $$$ first round.

If there are 15 -20 wide receivers getting drafted in the first two rounds AND we are looking for depth, realize that there are going to be 25-30 or so veteran WR getting dumped into the waiver wire or younger players stashed on practice squads.   There will be film on the waived veterans and we can get a known quality.   A "project" guy can be taken off the waiver wire and stashed on the depth chart  on the roster.  There are two more positions available there this year.   There is more than one way to play the game.  Remember the 3 draft picks we got by trading marginal OL depth.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Remember Duke was essentially a rookie and produced in limited action. I like him because he makes plays in traffic and gets separation (ie Jets and Houston) Sometimes a guy like Duke benefit from a better receiver corp

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

Generally, I think, if a position group is considered especially deep- teams wait and fill other shallower needs first.  I think we can still get a first round WR talent at the end of round 2

I think that there will be good WR prospects available at 54, but “first round WR talent” at 54 is, I suspect, a bit optimistic.  There is a possibility that someone like Shenault that is coming off injury, has injury history and hasn’t been able to work out or be medically checked might be available, but I don’t think that will be enough to entice them.

I just can’t see the Bills taking WR in 2nd after spending their 1st on WR (Diggs), Unless there is a WR at 54 that is rated SO much higher than who is available at other positions.  I think that rating gap would have to be pretty wide to entice them to spend their 2nd on WR.

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ny33 said:

I personally think that, between Foster, Duke, and McKenzie, we have a solid back end of the roster, and don’t need to take a prospect as I believe one of them could become a solid third option over the next year or two. They’re also better than the back end of most WRs rooms, though obviously weren’t good enough as 2nd options on the outside last year. 

Aiyuk could fall to our pick in the 2nd or even be available in the early third as part of a trade up. He’s a good returner and could let us cut Roberts, keeping developmental WRs at the 4th and 5th (or even 6th) spots. I’d love to get the BPA at o-line (maybe John Simpson), RB, or “Buffalo nickel” with our 2nd, and trade up in the third if he falls. If his injury requires recovery time, we could stash him on IR to return and see how the returning backup WRs do. 

I’d prefer if only one of those guys made the team tbh.  Allowing those guys to compete against each other for 4th-6th wr doesn’t create any competition.  We better add another WR that’s better than those 3 imo.  Seems like such disparity in talent between the 3rd wr and the 4th

3 hours ago, ny33 said:

I think you are missing the point on why we would draft a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round this year.  Supposedly, the WR talent level is very deep this year.

I'm not looking for a WR to be 3, 4, or 5 this year, I'm looking for him to be #1 or #2 next year (or at least compete with those guys).

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Bills fans typically over-value their players compared to the market.  Still a need to take a WR who can play this draft given that their depth beyond Beasley is player who've been consistent in the passing game.

• Like (+1) 1