Pick 3 WNY food edition

Which 3?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. You can only keep 3

5 hours ago, Augie said:

Great thread Kirby! 

I went 1, 3 and 8.....with apologies to #4 (which I had for lunch yesterday!). 

EDIT: I can get or make 1, 8 and 4. I can get to a Duff’s 40 miles away. I can make my own Sahlen’s hot dogs. There is nothing like Buffalo pizza outside of WNY that I have found to date. (Only exception is Casa di Pizza in Sarasota/Bradenton.) 

If anyone in the Atlanta are has suggestions for “Buffalo pizza”, I’m wide open.....I mean, eventually......and if they survive the current mess. I’ve tried a few “Buffalo pizza” places, only to be largely disappointed. 

My brother sent me a Bocce’s pizza last week. I’ve never been so appreciative. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That is an awesome idea! I’ve had them shipped to ME before, but tomorrow I plan to ship to my sisters and my mother. Everyone needs a smile and some good pizza these days! Hell, my next door neighbor is from Tonawanda, so they need one too! Spread some cheer!  Support the places that need it these days! 

I haven’t been out to lunch (formerly a daily event) in about 5 weeks. I feel terrible for those people who are hurting now. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

sure, but only one chicken wing

Strange, but I have friends who order 10-20 wings and eat them all. I know they are not “volume food” in terms of filling a belly, but if I get the minimum order of 5-6 wings I often have little desire for the last wing. I LOVE a good wing, but it’s not a volume food for me. 

Odd thought thrown in wondering if I’m alone. 

Once or twice a year I do 80 miles round trip to hit Duff’s in Newnan, GA. Beef on weck and a few wings and I’m good.  It’s worth the trip. 

13 hours ago, Augie said:

If anyone in the Atlanta are has suggestions for “Buffalo pizza”, I’m wide open.....I mean, eventually......and if they survive the current mess. I’ve tried a few “Buffalo pizza” places, only to be largely disappointed. 

Your governor can't figure out how Covid 19 is spread, and you expect the native populace to grasp the subtleties of good Buffalo pizza?!  Good luck with that.  ?

13 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Sad update...........Bocce’s pizza is closed for now, and I was pretty excited to send a bunch of pizza around the country to cheer people up. Looks like more Sahlen's hot dogs in my future. 

20 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Please do not add stuff or make your own list. Based on this which 3 are you keeping?

This is damn near impossible, Kirb. #2, #6, & #7 are the only three that I could absolutely give up without missing. I chose to keep #1, #8, & #9. No way are wings and weck going and I have to have Weber's horseradish, if I'm using mustard. No other will do. #3 is the toughest of the eliminations for me but I can make a mean homemade pizza. I love me some Sahlen's but I don't eat a ton of hot dogs anyway so #4 was sadly eliminated. #5 was a little easier for me because Helluva out of Sodus, NY makes a very close French Onion facsimile. ? :beer:

10 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

This is damn near impossible, Kirb. #2, #6, & #7 are the only three that I could absolutely give up without missing. I chose to keep #1, #8, & #9. No way are wings and weck going and I have to have Weber's horseradish, if I'm using mustard. No other will do. #3 is the toughest of the eliminations for me but I can make a mean homemade pizza. I love me some Sahlen's but I don't eat a ton of hot dogs anyway so #4 was sadly eliminated. #5 was a little easier for me because Helluva out of Sodus, NY makes a very close French Onion facsimile. ? :beer:

Ha ha, I saw it on twitter and was like “how am I going to do this?” It was so tough. Bison Chip dip is something I adore and crave when in Buffalo. For me, I was able to come to terms (somewhat) in that there are a lot of good snack options. I felt that the drop off from pizza, wings and Sahlen’s was too substantial. I can do without the others. My ex LOVED Weber’s Mustard though (I’m not a mustard guy). My family would ship it to her every couple of months.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Ha ha, I saw it on twitter and was like “how am I going to do this?” It was so tough. Bison Chip dip is something I adore and crave when in Buffalo. For me, I was able to come to terms (somewhat) in that there are a lot of good snack options. I felt that the drop off from pizza, wings and Sahlen’s was too substantial. I can do without the others. My ex LOVED Weber’s Mustard though (I’m not a mustard guy). My family would ship it to her every couple of months.

Like I said, damn near impossible. ? Six of those nine choices were agonizing for me. Bison was a very tough one for me and I grab it whenever I'm at my Wegman's here in town.

14 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Paula's overrated expensive donuts.

I think Paula's Donuts are good, but there are better places to get donuts. I just don't know who else has better donuts in Buffalo, or the surrounding area.

They have very good cinnamon rolls, but their apple fritter was not an apple fritter.

Also, there is no more expensive donuts than Krispy Kreme. Their prices are outrageous.

And for the record, I picked 1, 3, 8.

Edited by Mark Vader
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Augie said:

Great thread Kirby! 

I went 1, 3 and 8.....with apologies to #4 (which I had for lunch yesterday!). 

EDIT: I can get or make 1, 8 and 4. I can get to a Duff’s 40 miles away. I can make my own Sahlen’s hot dogs. There is nothing like Buffalo pizza outside of WNY that I have found to date. (Only exception is Casa di Pizza in Sarasota/Bradenton.) 

I've been looking for decent pizza for the past 15 years down here and have found NOTHING. Even Gala's which is kinda on the right track, isnt close.

For what it's worth, we had Buffalo pizzerias ship uncooked pizzas down and cooked them at home/at the Bills Bar. I'll have to look back at who did that for us, I believe they were in Clarence.

13 hours ago, Augie said:

Strange, but I have friends who order 10-20 wings and eat them all. I know they are not “volume food” in terms of filling a belly, but if I get the minimum order of 5-6 wings I often have little desire for the last wing. I LOVE a good wing, but it’s not a volume food for me. 

Odd thought thrown in wondering if I’m alone. 

Once or twice a year I do 80 miles round trip to hit Duff’s in Newnan, GA. Beef on weck and a few wings and I’m good.  It’s worth the trip. 

According to their Facebook, Duff's Newnan closed for good last month ?

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I've been looking for decent pizza for the past 15 years down here and have found NOTHING. Even Gala's which is kinda on the right track, isnt close.

For what it's worth, we had Buffalo pizzerias ship uncooked pizzas down and cooked them at home/at the Bills Bar. I'll have to look back at who did that for us, I believe they were in Clarence.

According to their Facebook, Duff's Newnan closed for good last month ?

I’ve tried Gala’s, and while they give it a good try, I won’t go out of my way for it. 

I’ve had Bocce’s shipped to the house before. I just tried to order for us and my sisters and they are closed. 

Sad news about Duff’s. I’ve made that trip a few times and it was worth it. Last time there the bartender was telling me an Anchor Bar was opening in Kennesaw and I saw something about that on line. I guess Anchor Bar will get my business next time, assuming they actually opened during all this mess. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’ve tried Gala’s, and while they give it a good try, I won’t go out of my way for it. 

I’ve had Bocce’s shipped to the house before. I just tried to order for us and my sisters and they are closed. 

Sad news about Duff’s. I’ve made that trip a few times and it was worth it. Last time there the bartender was telling me an Anchor Bar was opening in Kennesaw and I saw something about that on line. I guess Anchor Bar will get my business next time, assuming they actually opened during all this mess. 

There are a lot of places to get good wings around town. Intown, the Local probably has the best, but a lot of other bars do them well.

We worked with Whitehall last offseason to revamp their wings and help get them right. I was really pleased with what they ended up with.

But yeah, cant find that pizza anywhere. I've always thought that a true Buffalo pizzeria/sub shop would do well here. A mash-up of Bocce and Jim Steakout.

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

There are a lot of places to get good wings around town. Intown, the Local probably has the best, but a lot of other bars do them well.

We worked with Whitehall last offseason to revamp their wings and help get them right. I was really pleased with what they ended up with.

But yeah, cant find that pizza anywhere. I've always thought that a true Buffalo pizzeria/sub shop would do well here. A mash-up of Bocce and Jim Steakout.

I’ll actually get wings at Whitehall, whereas most places I just pass. Creatwood Tavern is just up the road (same owners, almost the same menu) and I get them there on occasion as well.  

• Like (+1) 1