Buffalo Bills worst draft choices.

I haven't read the whole thread yet so my apologies if someone has already mentioned Terry Miller.

Miller finished #2 in Heisman voting to the great Earl Campbell in 1977 and was picked by the Bills #5 in the first round of the 1978 draft.  

Terry gained 1000 yards his rookie season and it looked like the Bills found a new franchise RB to replace OJ.  But Miller only gained about 500 yards during the the rest of his short NFL career.

I can't swear this is true but I heard at the time that he developed an eye condition prior to his sophomore season with the Bills that damaged his peripheral vision.  

17 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

With the draft coming up I wanted to know some of  your guys lists on the worst players we ever drafted here.

mine starts off with Aaron Maybin, Mike Williams, Willis McGahee, CJ spiller, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, Dante Whitner, Erik Flowers, James Hardy, and John McCargo, EJ Manuel etc

Donte Whitner? CJ Spiller? Hard to call them draft busts when they made two Pro Bowls and one Pro Bowl, respectively.

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I can live with whiffs like Mike Williams and Zay Jones because they should have been good players and somehow just didn't translate to the NFL.   But I can not excuse the level of sheer ineptitude that came out of OBD on draft day for nearly 20 years.   A group of people with months to collaborate and decide all looked around the table and agreed to draft Aaron Maybin, based on.......?   It's like they all blew off their homework for three months and then just picked a name at random off the board at the last second.   It could not possibly ever get worse than that pick, thus it wins for All-time worst pick.

Other category winners include:

All-time panic pick:  JP Losman;  after missing out on the top QBs

All-time trade up:  John McCargo, the 3d best guy on his college team's front 7.   Yes kids, that really happened.  They traded up into the first round to draft a guy that was the 3d best out of 7 on his 7-5 college team.   It's ok to laugh now.

All time panic pick = Sammy Watkins

Whaley panicked big time to impress Terrance and to prove that his QB EJ was a great draft pick 

56 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

All time panic pick = Sammy Watkins

Whaley panicked big time to impress Terrance and to prove that his QB EJ was a great draft pick 

I call that one the all time LAMP pick.  Look at Douggie making the ‘big’ move!

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

EJ was a big reach but that was an institutional failure above all else. The Bills backed themselves into a corner NEEDING to draft a QB in the worst QB draft maybe ever. I don’t quite have that as bad because if you’re going to force yourself to take a QB at least take the big, strong, charismatic guy. He couldn’t play but when they were backed into a corner I can at least try to understand the flawed reasoning. He belongs way up on the list of worst picks but I blame the mismanagement of the position above all else.

I am never gonna flame the Bills for trying to draft Quarterbacks. I will flame them much more for not trying to draft Quarterbacks. If there is a position where I can defend reaching it is for a QB. 

2006 draft. The 1st 4 picks. Wow. The 1st 2 picks were massive reaches in the 1st round. Donte Whitner and John McCargo.

Willis McGahee also is right up there. It was a  wasted pick. Unwarranted.

Aaron Maybin. His own college coach said he wasn't ready. Huge red flags the Bills ignored. To top it off Orakpo looked like a can't miss prospect. Fans were actually right that year.

TJ Graham. Ugh. Easy one. So excited when they traded up. I knew it was for Russell Wilson. I don't even think Graham was ranked by some.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

7 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Typing "bad Bills draft picks" into Google.  There's probably a dozen top 10 articles he could find.

But look at all the fun everyone is having talking about it. Isn't that what this is all about. Go Bills!!

2004 was the last year of Pat Williams in Buffalo. In 2005, the Bills thought Tim Anderson could take over at DT. The Bills dropped from a Top 5 defense against the run to 31st. And it started a streak of 8 straight years being 22nd or worse against the run, with Chan's years sticking out as 27th - 31st. 

But 2006 - 2009 the Bills tried to implement a classic Tampa 2 defense, so it meant 230 pound linebackers like Keith Ellison, and 290 pound DT's like Larry Tripplett. 

And so Donte Whitner was the first pick of the Marv Levy regime, not Haloti Ngata. 

I agree with others that the 2010 Draft (and really that entire offseason) was one of the worst I can remember. You had the Chris Kelsay extension, the trade of Marshawn Lynch for a 3rd and 5th Round pick, signing Kevin Kolb as the stop gap answer at QB after his complete failure in Arizona, switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense and using most of the draft to foster that switch, Chan Gailey was out of football when the Bills called, and those George Edwards defenses were in the Bottom 5 of the league. 

I never understood the Bills plan for CJ Spiller. You would have thought a team would have a plan for a RB taken 9th overall with the "water bug" skill-set Chan wanted. But he got 74 carries total as a rookie, and was averaging 3.3 combined touches (run/pass) per game in 2011, even talk about moving him to WR, until Fred's injury. Then, Chan was forced to let Spiller play and he showed flashes the rest of 2011, and broke out in 2012, although still chained to a time share with Fred. 

And then it's like he got old, faded out of Buffalo and outside of one game winning catch for the Saints, he drifted out of the league. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am never gonna flame the Bills for trying to draft Quarterbacks. I will flame them much more for not trying to draft Quarterbacks. If there is a position where I can defend reaching it is for a QB. 

I will flame them for this particular decision.  Kirb-dawg did a good job explaining why it was not just a terrible pick but an even worse job with selecting personnel.

On 4/7/2020 at 5:32 AM, BuffaloBills1998 said:

With the draft coming up I wanted to know some of  your guys lists on the worst players we ever drafted here.

mine starts off with Aaron Maybin, Mike Williams, Willis McGahee, CJ spiller, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, Dante Whitner, Erik Flowers, James Hardy, and John McCargo, EJ Manuel etc

I don't know if i can agree with all those but most of them yes.  I had no problem with McGahee, Losman was forced from ralph, Trent Edwards looked like a steal in the 3rd until he got hurt and became captin check down, i think the same can kinda be said for EJ too.  Whitner at the time was considered a reach but still if i remember correctly he still played pretty physical football.  

If the Bills has Tom Brady, this picks wont be so bad.  Whitner was a reach but he was a starting caliber player for almost 10 years.  On good teams, he plays a key role.  On bad teams, he’s the poster child for what is wrong.  

but maybin was bad.  McCargo is even worse because we ended up getting Kyle Williams in the same draft.  But I’m telling you, the Bills don’t have significantly more bad picks than other teams.  We just don’t have the qb to cover for the bad picks.  See the Patriots. 

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

If the Bills has Tom Brady, this picks wont be so bad.  Whitner was a reach but he was a starting caliber player for almost 10 years.  On good teams, he plays a key role.  On bad teams, he’s the poster child for what is wrong.  

but maybin was bad.  McCargo is even worse because we ended up getting Kyle Williams in the same draft.  But I’m telling you, the Bills don’t have significantly more bad picks than other teams.  We just don’t have the qb to cover for the bad picks.  See the Patriots. 

Hmm. I think in that second half of 00s we just had more bad picks. Draft after draft was terrible.