Buffalo Bills worst draft choices.

4 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Ehhh i think Spiller is a bust.  Injury prone, had 1 good season, and washed out quickly.  Ryan Mathews got the injury-prone tag, was drafted after, and had a much more productive career.  

Spiller was drafted much too high.   He simply wasn't the kind of workhorse RB that should be drafted in the top ten picks. That makes him a "bad pick" but I wouldn't call him a bust. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, mjt328 said:

It's interesting to see the responses, and what qualifies in people's minds as a "bad" selection.

There are several players I've seen mentioned who were actually very productive NFL players.  CJ Spiller, Donte Whitner, Willis McGahee, Sammy Watkins, etc.

But Bills fans still consider them terrible picks because they were selected too early OR because we passed on someone really good to take them.

Personally, I would go with player(s) who were ALL of the above.... drafted way too early, with much better players sitting on the board, and who ended up having terrible NFL careers.  With all of that in consideration, it's really hard not to go with someone like Aaron Maybin, Erik Flowers or Torrell Troup.

Spiller had a productive career?  He had fewer rushing yards than Isaiah Crowell, and Bilal Powell...

• Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, First Round Bust said:

warning this may induce vomiting:

Walt Patulski - first pick of entire draft - at least he got traded for a #2 which turned out to be Joe Delvin who played well for us for years

more 70s misses

Phil Dokes -

the Nebraska twins (LBs Rudd and Nelson)

Tom Cousineau - never signed - went to CFL and Browns after crapping big-time on Buffalo

Rueben Gant - as in can't - TE

80s whiffs

Booker Moore - Guillen barre disease

Tony Hunter - TE from ND taken before Jim Kelly

Perry Tuttle - beware WRs from Clemson

90s super bowl misfit

Darryl Williams (and his flame ######ant jersey)

20th century busts

Erik Flowers - John Butler reach

Aaron Maybin

JP Losman - not just a number 1 but we traded more pick

Leo McKelvin (first cb taken in the entire draft)

Torrell Troupe (2nd rounder taken right before Gronk)

Beware WRs from Clemson? Jerry Butler says, “Hold my beer.”

Seriously though, can’t argue anyone on that list. There are just so many names to choose from. 

39 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Both Willis McGahee and Donte Whitner were both good players, both for the Bills and for other teams during their NFL careers, including Pro Bowl selections, so they hardly qualify for a list of "the worst players we ever drafted".  CJ Spiller also had a decent NFL career, so he doesn't belong on your list, either.  Moreover, Trent Edwards was a third round pick who wasn't even the worst third round QB the Bills ever drafted -- see Gary Marangi (1974) -- and even among the third rounders drafted since 1999/2000, there were some outright busts who never even saw the field.   

You need to have some valid criteria beside your personal dislike of a particular player.

I’m sorry but I have to disagree with you regarding McGahee, he sucked when he was here and I couldn’t stand him. I thought It was the dumbest move to draft him in the first place especially after that gruesome knee injury he had. He was not worth a first round pick, we should’ve given Bledsoe more O line protection. We were fine with Travis Henry who I feel got screwed over by the Bills. 

Just now, SoTier said:

Spiller was drafted much too high.   He simply wasn't the kind of workhorse RB that should be drafted in the top ten picks. That makes him a "bad pick" but I wouldn't call him a bust. 

He didn't get a 2nd contract here, essentially flamed out with injuries.  Had about 400 total yards rushing+receiving after he left buffalo.  

He did make a probowl i guess.

4 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Spiller had a productive career?  He had fewer rushing yards than Isaiah Crowell, and Bilal Powell...

I know, he had 1 good year and he couldn’t stay healthy after that. And was slow as a snail

11 minutes ago, SoTier said:

McCargo had an injury (knee?) that he never recovered from.  Why in the world would any team trade up to take a player coming off a serious injury?   However, taking players with injury histories seems to have been a common thread during the years when Russ Brandon ran the show: Troupe and Koujandijo also had injury histories which likely compromised their NFL careers even before they were drafted.

We did it with McGahee, you can thank Donahoe for that lol

15 minutes ago, SoTier said:

McCargo had an injury (knee?) that he never recovered from.  Why in the world would any team trade up to take a player coming off a serious injury?   However, taking players with injury histories seems to have been a common thread during the years when Russ Brandon ran the show: Troupe and Koujandijo also had injury histories which likely compromised their NFL careers even before they were drafted.

Plus IIRC McCargo wasn't even a top 50 ranked player in that draft.  The Bills could've stayed at 42 and got him there easily, that whole thing made no sense to me at the time and looks ten times worse now.  After McCargo, the next DT went at 68.

All things considered Erik Flowers may have been the worst draft pick by the franchise, ever.  This was a pick made by a one-foot-out-the-door John Butler (RIP) and may really have been an F-U to Ralph.  Just a horrid pick.  All of the other 1st round busts were guys you could at least imagine a legitimate reason for drafting.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

You pretty much listed all of them since the turn of the century.  I'll add Torrell Troup and Cyrus Kouandjio.  McGahee and Watkins are in the same boat.  They had okay careers (mostly outside of Buffalo) but definitely weren't worth giving up a 1st rounder for.

If you remember that article about Torell Troup's injury, he wasn't a bad draft pick. He's a guy who was showing every sign of being a very good pick until he got injured and was talked into trying to play through it. Far more of a good pick destroyed by an unlucky injury that the team urged him to play through.

As for my picks, the usual suspects: Perry Tuttle and at #1 Mike Williams.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Ehhh i think Spiller is a bust.  Injury prone, had 1 good season, and washed out quickly.  Ryan Mathews got the injury-prone tag, was drafted after, and had a much more productive career.  

And he was a bad pick. Because we had Lynch and Fred. And not much at all at edge rusher or offensive tackle. There were good players on the board at both spots when we took another running back. 

• Like (+1) 4

49 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Whitner was hated by many Bills fans simply because of where he was drafted.  That's on  FO stupidity not on the player.  He doesn't have any choice of which team drafts him. 

Totally agree.  Same happened with Watkins.  That was on Whaley.  I don’t blame Watkins for what was given up to get him, but he does bear responsibility for some other things while he was here.  

2 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

warning this may induce vomiting:

Walt Patulski - first pick of entire draft - at least he got traded for a #2 which turned out to be Joe Delvin who played well for us for years

more 70s misses

Phil Dokes -

the Nebraska twins (LBs Rudd and Nelson)

Tom Cousineau - never signed - went to CFL and Browns after crapping big-time on Buffalo

Rueben Gant - as in can't - TE

80s whiffs

Booker Moore - Guillen barre disease

Tony Hunter - TE from ND taken before Jim Kelly

Perry Tuttle - beware WRs from Clemson

90s super bowl misfit

Darryl Williams (and his flame ######ant jersey)

20th century busts

Erik Flowers - John Butler reach

Aaron Maybin

JP Losman - not just a number 1 but we traded more pick

Leo McKelvin (first cb taken in the entire draft)

Torrell Troupe (2nd rounder taken right before Gronk)

No Whitner? :o:unsure:

41 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

If you remember that article about Torell Troup's injury, he wasn't a bad draft pick. He's a guy who was showing every sign of being a very good pick until he got injured and was talked into trying to play through it. Far more of a good pick destroyed by an unlucky injury that the team urged him to play through.

As for my picks, the usual suspects: Perry Tuttle and at #1 Mike Williams.

I've always felt bad for Troup about the whole one pick before Gronk thing and think it's incredibly unfair that anyone calls him a bust.  Guys like Troup are why I'm always okay with players doing whatever they can to get paid.  Always play or two away from it all being over.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Forgot about him. Wasn’t he one of Whaley’s last picks?

I think he was a McDermott guy, I can't remember if Beene or Whaley was GM at the time

Just now, BfloBillsFan said:

I think he was a McDermott guy, I can't remember if Beene or Whaley was GM at the time

Whaley was still in name. But he was fired right after the draft. He was entirely doing McDermott's bidding that year. They didn't even let Whaley do the pre-draft pressers or the short pressers right after the picks. Sean did everything saying they believed in "one voice." They hired Beane a few weeks later and forgot they believed in one voice immediately. Whaley was just a functionary at that point.

• Like (+1) 2